[Albion] Frank Worthington

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Remember one of the best games that season was a 2-1 home win over the fast emerging Crazy Gang. One nil down at half time, it was a mid winter game and the Goldstone was right up for the second half in the dark. Am sure Frankie scored the winner with a lob over Beasant that hit the crossbar and bounced down, hit him and rolled into the goal. One of my fave Goldstone memories.

Remember it well, at the South end. More of a dipping volley than a lob, though.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Boy could he take a penalty. Remember Andy Goram needing treatment after saving one and then going mental when it was ordered to be retaken.

I remember that, but until you wrote about it I had thought it was the 5-1 Wolves game and a very young Tim Flowers in goal...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I loved FW growing up but NO, no he didn't! Vicente was a top 4 side player in Spain and Champions League player whereas FW was a perma-pissed version of Matt Le Tissier.

That goal v Ipswich above was sublime. It's the disguise and then the speed of the overhead flick that wrong foots the entire Ipswich defence that makes it so watchable. Ridiculously hard skill to master!

Thing is Vicente has always played in the sanitised period of playing football, the pitches, the coaching, the fitness and so on. Frankie played when pitches were ploughed fields, coaching was on a school pitch, and fitness was, how much can you drink before you fall over!

Nov 20, 2003
hove
The sad thing about Worthingtons time at the Albion is that he could of been with us a good few years earlier ,Mullery was advised to sign him but chose to sign Teddy Maybank instead .

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The sad thing about Worthingtons time at the Albion is that he could of been with us a good few years earlier ,Mullery was advised to sign him but chose to sign Teddy Maybank instead .

Frank Worthington cost Bolton £90,000 in Oct 1977
Teddy Maybank cost Albion £238,000 a month later.

Oops, Mullers!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Oh...I wish you hadn't told me that. The salivating thought of having Frank, with more ' mileage in the tank ' will now linger. Worthington or Maybank...Jesus Christ, what was Mullers thinking about. ( Hang on...didn't Teddy come from Fulham...Mullers old club....now there's a thought! )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports