[Albion] Frank Worthington RIP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If I remember correctly, he flicked the ball up in the air and volleyed it from around 30 yards. It hit the South Stand crossbar and went in off Dave Beasant's back and would have counted as an own goal these days but was all Worthington's by right.

There's a great story of him nearly signing for Liverpool but failing the medical because of high blood pressure. Liverpool put him on a plane to Spain for a few days' rest to see if it would sort the problem but on the flight he met some Swedish blonde. He spent the whole time in Spain shagging himself (and her) senseless and arrived back with even higher blood pressure than before.

I had the pleasure of meeting him years later, loved it down here in 84/85 as he'd grown up with Chris Cattlin in Huddersfield, he told me his playing record stated he scored 7 times at Brighton, but didn't account for a further 4 times in the Pink Coconut.

He also said that Alan Mullery had originally tried to sign him in the summer of 1977 but eventually opted for Teddy Maybank.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
In that one season he had with us you always got the feeling something involving him would happen during the game. A joy to watch. RIP.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If I remember correctly, he flicked the ball up in the air and volleyed it from around 30 yards. It hit the South Stand crossbar and went in off Dave Beasant's back and would have counted as an own goal these days but was all Worthington's by right.

There's a great story of him nearly signing for Liverpool but failing the medical because of high blood pressure. Liverpool put him on a plane to Spain for a few days' rest to see if it would sort the problem but on the flight he met some Swedish blonde. He spent the whole time in Spain shagging himself (and her) senseless and arrived back with even higher blood pressure than before.

Pure class. RIP.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A true football legend, on and off the pitch.

R.I.P. Frank

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

One of my best mates is the Leicester City club Doctor and good friends with Alan Birchenall, who played with Frank at Leicester, I believe. As I understand it, it wasn't 1 Swedish blonde but a Swedish mother and daughter combo for the week, plus he picked up and shagged another at the airport waiting for his flight home! Also, while it was stated as high blood pressure that scuppered the Liverpool deal, it was, in fact an STD, which he was supposed to get treated but instead spent the week in Majorca and so failed the medical again on his return.
Several stories were too naughty for the book, including seducing a young lady who was on her honeymoon.
Quote from Birch "he made George Best look like a Trappist monk"
RIP Frank. I suspect "there'll never be another" has more than a ring of truth.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Great player, looked so skilful when he played for us even though he was in the twilight of his career. RIP Frank, you entertained us.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
My favourite Albion player and no other player that arises up will change that
The best volleyer of a ball, the best half-volleyer of a ball
Master of the body swerve and master of the drop of a shoulder
Football has lost one of the greatest players in the world
I love you Frank Worthington and thank you for playing for our club
Memories will last forever and was very lucky to have seen you kick/float/smash/tap a ball about like it was kickabout in the local park

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
D7D7489E-A9B6-4131-86B1-8D37A8BB6B13.jpeg

He had a very good sense of humour.
RIP Frank.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
His England career was mainly under Joe Mercer the only one who showed faith in the mavericks of the era...Frank is the only Brighton player I have ever seen in civilian life just outside Churchill Square.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Remember him signing for us and was so excited to get down the Goldstone see him play. For sheer star appeal can’t be many if any that come close to Frank playing for us. Hard to impress who today’s equivalent might be in simply because they just don’t make em like that on and off the pitch anymore!

RIP Frank, so pleased I saw you play!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
What a great footballer and character. No-one around like our Frank today.

Remember watching him at the Goldstone and then seeing him in Swifts that evening, bottom of West Street. Walked up the steps and there he was in his black leather trousers with a girl either side of him. "Hello Frank, hello lads".

RIP to a TRUE legend.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
That’s sad, another hero gone.

That goal against Ipswich, for Bolton.

https://youtu.be/W0z_arXZ8nM

We were lucky enough to have Frank Worthington in his prime, & i was there for that goal & several other magical, memorable moments.

Nobody here has a bad word for FW either as a player & entertainer, or as a popular, eccentric character off the pitch. My favourite ever BWFC player !!

A sad day, RIP Frankie Worthy.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
My first Albion game was against Aldershot in the then Milk Cup at the Goldstone. Frank was coming to the end of his career (he was 36 and played on until 40 odd) but still had the skill. He scored a cracker in a 3-1 win (Terry Connor got the other 2). He was a great character and a joy to watch, i'm lucky to have seen him in an Albion shirt as he was only with us for a season. RIP Frank.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports