Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] France's Macron brings back national service

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If he was, then he’s as dumb as you’ve just shown yourself to be.

How on earth can you suggest that “bringing back control and governing ourselves” equates to enforcing National Service on our youth?

You’re wrong on every level.

An alternative view would be that Brexiters were (are) looking to turn the clock back to the good old days when we had an Empire and National Service.
Therefore with the French bringing back a form of National Service (albeit not full military service) that Brexiters would want to celebrate with the French on this decision.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
An alternative view would be that Brexiters were (are) looking to turn the clock back to the good old days when we had an Empire and National Service.
Therefore with the French bringing back a form of National Service (albeit not full military service) that Brexiters would want to celebrate with the French on this decision.

Still doesnt explain why its confusing.
I commiserate and empathise with the French every time there is a terrorist attack, and i celebrate every time they shoot a jihadi in the face before it can do evil.
Thats not confusing, so why is initiating national service confusing for Brexiteers?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'd fully expect [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] to aim to get dual nationality asap in order to get his hands on a decent shooter.
firstly , im told the famas is a.pile.of. crap , secondly ive already told you that firearms are relatively easy to.source here and thirdly why join their army when i could just go to ebay and get one , heres an advert i saw earlier
FRENCH ARMY RIFLE
VGC
never been fired , only dropped once ....... :lolol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Macron chastised a youth recently in public about respect when he called out to him from a crowd calling him Manu.

Perhaps that was the tipping point for his decision for introducing National Service.

That is just the level of stuffiness that invites ridicule rather than respect., i reckon he must have been playing to the crowd.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he thinks a lot of older Conservative voters like the idea of National Service. The sort that were likely to vote for Brexit.

Just s theory.

:clap:

Note to self - next time go with the Cherry Bakewell joke.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think he thinks a lot of older Conservative voters like the idea of National Service. The sort that were likely to vote for Brexit.

Just s theory.

Quite possibly conservatives in the UK who support the idea of national service would think France reintroducing it is a good idea, but any sensible person knows that countries who have national service or even degrees of conscription around the globe are not exclusively conservative in their political leaning, non conservatives governments and peoples believe in national service as well. So the conservative angle is a dud.
In essence we are no closer to finding out why France reintroducing national service would confuse Brexiteers. No one has yet offered up a valid reason why the OP thinks it would be confusing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You going to let people in on your secret why Brexiteers would be confused by France reintroducing national service?

You're over thinking my quip and I clearly didn't think enough, I sincerely apologise for my error in judgement.

'national service in a Cherry Bakewell factory, where do I sign up?'

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You're over thinking my quip and I clearly didn't think enough, I sincerely apologise for my error in judgement.

'national service in a Cherry Bakewell factory, where do I sign up?'

Are you ok?
if you are having issues im sure one of the liberals on here will pester you with an unwanted phone call

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes but Brexiters were all about bringing back control and governing ourselves and there is France doing just that while still in the EU. Maybe that's the point the OP was making.

I think you and the OP amongst others are confused. There is nothing remotely difficult to understand nor controversial in that article. French National Service has a range of non-military purposes and is designed for social cohesion and to instill greater pride in their country, something the French clearly think they have lost through the terrible acts vested upon them and the rise of ISIS and Muslim terrorism on their doorstep. Good luck to them, France and the French people, are wonderful in my experience and I hope this measure may help to stop some of the disaffection that some of their youth feel.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Just s theory.

This is why I don't bother posting on the Brexit thread anymore. How can you reason with people who constantly resort to lazy stereotypes :shrug:

There were a couple of planks on there yesterday trying to compare the formation of the USA 200 years ago with the formation of a present day federal Europe, FFS how stupid can you get!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you and the OP amongst others are confused.
It was just a little prod at the ageing Tory 'bring back National Service' 'during the war' 'a sound thrashing is what they need' 'we've gone to the dogs since we have been run by those foreigners in Brussels' 'Farage is right' Brexit voter, nothing more nothing less.
Very much a lazy stereotype, I should have known better.

'Working undercover in a Cherry Bakewell factory, where do I sign up?'.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think you and the OP amongst others are confused. There is nothing remotely difficult to understand nor controversial in that article. French National Service has a range of non-military purposes and is designed for social cohesion and to instill greater pride in their country, something the French clearly think they have lost through the terrible acts vested upon them and the rise of ISIS and Muslim terrorism on their doorstep. Good luck to them, France and the French people, are wonderful in my experience and I hope this measure may help to stop some of the disaffection that some of their youth feel.

This
Still no explanation why national service in France would be confusing to brexiteers though

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It was just a little prod at the ageing Tory 'bring back National Service' 'during the war' 'a sound thrashing is what they need' 'we've gone to the dogs since we have been run by those foreigners in Brussels' 'Farage is right' Brexit voter, nothing more nothing less.
Very much a lazy stereotype, I should have known better.

'Working undercover in a Cherry Bakewell factory, where do I sign up?'.

Yes, we get that it is another (tiresome) dig at half the people on this sceptered isle, but why is it confusing?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, we get that it is another (tiresome) dig at half the people on this sceptered isle, but why is it confusing?
Why didn't I go with the Kiplings material, it's gold.

Do I have to eat the cherry?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is why I don't bother posting on the Brexit thread anymore. How can you reason with people who constantly resort to lazy stereotypes :shrug:

There were a couple of planks on there yesterday trying to compare the formation of the USA 200 years ago with the formation of a present day federal Europe, FFS how stupid can you get!!

:lolol: You should jump back in, we have been formed into a league table of stereotypes now.......division 2 could use another player

D

Deleted member 22389

That's was me. I asked a simple question and it got taken completely out of context. I expect nothing different from some remainers if I'm honest with you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here