Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] France just what's going on?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I really don’t understand why, in the US too, that a driver hitting the pedal can be shot dead for basically running away?

This is what happened isn’t it? Is the reason given by the officer now charged with murder?

I believe in law and order, perhaps more strongly ie to the right than many. The kid just drove away though, yes? There’s no suggestion he endangered the officer or was a threat to that I’ve read.

Therefore the book needs to be thrown at the officer. And I agree, the opportunistic looters who are using this incident as a reason to riot…well, if a few of them were shot I’d not have too much sympathy for them. For this kid though, and his family, blimey, it’s a ridiculous price to pay for a traffic violation. As it was/continues to be in the US.
Not much sympathy for people shot while rioting?

I can't agree with you there. To me this is an absolutely terrifying situation. Accepting police a judge jury and executioner is a slippery slope. Death for rooting and/or looting is also a ridiculous price to pay in my opinion.

Possibly I misunderstood your comment?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not much sympathy for people shot while rioting?

I can't agree with you there. To me this is an absolutely terrifying situation. Accepting police a judge jury and executioner is a slippery slope. Death for rooting and/or looting is also a ridiculous price to pay in my opinion.

Possibly I misunderstood your comment?
Were people shot whilst rioting? Sorry, I’m not sure if were but my point is I’d have less (less) sympathy for those persons (if endangering the life of others including Police by throwing bricks etc). It’s harder to sympathise with people committing violent crime and got hurt themselves than eg someone who simply ran away. For what it’s worth also, I don’t think a lot of people help themselves much as bystanders to such disorder. A bit like being a football fan watching hooligans chucking bottles, when the Police charge inevitably takes place they’re likely to arrest/baton you too and no innocent protestations are going to help you by that stage. Common sense to vacate the scene if you’re truly not part of.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
really shot & killed for stealing….
is this Europe or Saudi Arabia?

so let me get you right here, failing to stop and avoiding the police (we do not know the whole story yet, ie has the car a record, area, history etc etc) is not right, and quite rightly.
Yet nicking a tv or a handful of clothes (although wrong and I’m not advocating looting) warrants maybe the odd toerags death….

neither do, in my book…

give ya head a wobble fella.
No, see clarifying further post. It’s the violence accompanying, if used, I have less sympathy for.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Newsnight just had an interesting piece about the rise of a rebranded far right party headed by Jordan Bardella. In small forgotten towns, they call it Deep France, thousands attend his rallies. Currently campaigning for the Strasbourg elections, polling gives them 30% of the vote nationally.

Two underlying reasons were apparent, Mark Urban spoke to residents across the political spectrum. A sense of loss as these towns, villages and departments have lost the treasured cohesion from manufacturing employment. Globalisation! With crime rates and the personal safety of females the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here