Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Fracking Ban

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
we like using energy, we want to be reasonably self sufficent in energy. we could at some time in the future be self-sufficent from wind and solar generation. until then we need something to provide energy and the most practical, lowest emission form is gas. is it better to rely on imported gas or get that which is sitting beneath us?

The only draw backs I can see have been made up by the Russians, so may as well drill away.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
we like using energy, we want to be reasonably self sufficent in energy. we could at some time in the future be self-sufficent from wind and solar generation. until then we need something to provide energy and the most practical, lowest emission form is gas. is it better to rely on imported gas or get that which is sitting beneath us?

Yes, I heard Moggy too. He sounded persuasive.

The logic was a bit like this.....

Let's imagine the cost of supermarket food has tripled, partly due to a large increase in supplier charges, and partly due to a % based increase in profit by the supermarket.

The government could legislate to address the massive extra profits made by the supermarkets. Instead they have provided the population with free seeds, and turned over all school playing fields for use as allotments.

Children now have far fewer places to play raising concerns about their safety. The government has countered by saying that the allotments are perfectly safe and the children can play there.

It has also been suggested that allotment food won't address the hardship created by the cost of other types of food (such as meat), and the other goods we buy from supermarkets. The government have countered by saying that with more food available from the allotments, the overall average cost of goods will fall, and this will in turn push down the amount that supermarkets will charge for goods.

I can't see a flaw in that plan. Can you? ???

:lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

273e5dd667e461ca7ad215680774c771.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
IF he is telling the truth. Why has he not put the evidence to support this assertion in the public domain then?

It's quite worrying that those who voted to impose our next PM on us have been influenced by Putin to object to fracking when it's in their back yard (which the majority of it is).

Come now. Have you not been reading today's narrative about evidence? It is all there, on the internet. It is a five minute job to find it. What is your evidence there is no evidence to support this? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

We are living on the post U-turn era. It is now a virtue to completely U-bend a fundamental policy now. It is a reflection of nimbleness of the mind of the prime minister that she can shamelessly (sorry, I meant 'seamlessly') transition from one pole to the other, on any subject, in response to her perception of the direction of the wind.

Under a Corbyn government, we would of been stuck in a rigid fix, unable to react to the challenges of the zeitgeist. We have dodged a bullet.

I'm proud to be British :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, I heard Moggy too. He sounded persuasive.

The logic was a bit like this.....

Let's imagine the cost of supermarket food has tripled, partly due to a large increase in supplier charges, and partly due to a % based increase in profit by the supermarket.

The government could legislate to address the massive extra profits made by the supermarkets. Instead they have provided the population with free seeds, and turned over all school playing fields for use as allotments.

Children now have far fewer places to play raising concerns about their safety. The government has countered by saying that the allotments are perfectly safe and the children can play there.

It has also been suggested that allotment food won't address the hardship created by the cost of other types of food (such as meat), and the other goods we buy from supermarkets. The government have countered by saying that with more food available from the allotments, the overall average cost of goods will fall, and this will in turn push down the amount that supermarkets will charge for goods.

I can't see a flaw in that plan. Can you? ???

:lolol:

i havent heard Moggy, if thats what he's say i cant help it if he has some good ideas too.

i see you've gone on a tangent about cost and profit. these change, wouldnt want to argue the benefits based on todays gas prices. large profits are being made by wind producers too right now, because of a market that was setup to encourage them now ties us to higher gas price. government intervention led consequences and they now need to intervene more.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Interesting lot this aren't there ?

So hell bent ideologically they appear have taken their eye off the next election and even the concerns of their core voters.

I genuinely don't understand them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bunch of frackers.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

It's easier to become self-sufficient if we reduce our demand. This requires (inter alia) our homes to be insulated to a much higher standard. The problem is, there's no money in it for the government's mates.

It's rather like a fat bloke continuing to eat everything, but desperately going to the gym to try to take off the extra pounds. If this behaviour continues, it's great news for food manufacturers and gym owners. But actually, the fat guy could achieve a much better outcome if he simply cuts down a little on his food intake. Unfortunately there's no money in that solution.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's easier to become self-sufficient if we reduce our demand. This requires (inter alia) our homes to be insulated to a much higher standard. The problem is, there's no money in it for the government's mates.

thats another path too, also will take some time, we'll still have large energy requirement, and the core problem where it comes from. we're very happy to use energy, very fussy about how we obtain it.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Effects many of us in Sussex. I see Balcombe has been mentioned but also Billingshurst is a target for it if I remember correctly

More mini earthquakes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here