Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
11 off that Anderson over. He's been on at least 2 overs too long - shocking captaincy from Cook.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cook really is a shìthouse captain. Ridiculously negative, appalling use of the review system and sometimes just lacking plain common sense.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
At last some PRESSURE on the Aussies... Clarke and Smith will need to stand up and be counted here.

And Broad into the ATTACK!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Broad back on...at last.

cracking first ball yorker.

Come on boys, lets up it now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How long did he bowl Anderson for? How long did he persist with one slip in a game where a draw is impossible and we need wickets? How many reviews has he wasted?

I know we've just taken a wicket but in case you hadn't noticed it is still 168/3, so we've not exactly got a vice-like grip on the match thanks to his stewardship have we?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
How long did he bowl Anderson for? How long did he persist with one slip in a game where a draw is impossible and we need wickets? How many reviews has he wasted?

I know we've just taken a wicket but in case you hadn't noticed it is still 168/3, so we've not exactly got a vice-like grip on the match thanks to his stewardship have we?

They were 50-0 (12 overs) when we went down to one slip... how many more runs should we have hemorrhaged before at least trying to stem the flow of boundaries??

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Broad back on...at last.

cracking first ball yorker.

Come on boys, lets up it now.

Imagine what might have happened with that yorker with Clarke on 0, rather than settled on 17...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They were 50-0 (12 overs) when we went down to one slip... how many more runs should we have hemorrhaged before at least trying to stem the flow of boundaries??

50 /12 = 4 an over.
80 / 20 = still 4 an over.

That's what I call a steady flow, no tourniquet there.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You weren't joking there, were you? 17 off 14, he's nicely settled in.

No exactly, I wasn't. You were right, Broad should have been back on the moment Clarke came out.

I agree with Simster, Warne, and everyone else who has been critical of Cook's captaincy, his tactics in the field remind me of a bygone age of cricket, so negative it beggars belief. Taking a slip out to field out at deep point in the first couple of overs, I mean WTF!?!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The fact that he sleep walked into that score says it all for me. He should have changed it sooner, much sooner. Change the bowler to another quicky or seamer if he needed to but to take wickets you have to encourage the batsmen to play shots. He should have been encouraging his bowlers to bowl a fuller length to get the batsmen on the front foot, especially on this pitch, and kept three slips in (or two slips and a gulley).

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Another great review there...

Bloodyhell England, you've nearly got into them here.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
everyones still learning this, to be fair, but that oozed panic. thats my worry, that same mentality goes into field settings and choice of bowlers from now on.

i fking hate this review system as it is currently

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cricinfo: Emotionally-charged rather than rationally-though out that last review, another blot against Cook's captaincy...

I can see that we're going to push them close but run out of runs. Can you imagine what Cook would be like if he had to rotate 5 bowlers?!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Another excellent use of the review system there from Cook. :laugh:

How is that Cook's fault? Would have been entirely down to Broad and Prior. If they are convinced there was a nick, what's he supposed to do?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He should have been encouraging his bowlers to bowl a fuller length to get the batsmen on the front foot, especially on this pitch, and kept three slips in (or two slips and a gulley).

Pitch map shows that pretty much 7 of the 8 wickets our seamers have taken on this pitch have been full, or very close to being a full length. We then started bowling back of a length as we looked to contain and it suited them perfectly regardless of the defensive fielders you put in.

You could sense the frustration in the commentary box at what they were seeing. You can still be attacking and take a slip out if you don't think it will go there, plenty of other attacking field placements, but 3rd man and deep point....no, not for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here