Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What do people consider an attainable lead that would put us in a position to bowl them out and win the match

I'm not sure it matters all that much. We already have a significant lead with 2 whole days remaining. FWIW, I think 300 will be enough but if Clarke gets going, who knows?

We certainly won't be looking to declare I shouldn't think.

EDIT: Totally misread the question. 300 for me but I won't feel at all safe until Clarke's gone.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What do people consider an attainable lead that would put us in a position to bowl them out and win the match

I'd like 300 but don't think we will get that, I fear 260 is all we will get and subsequently a very nervous next 2 days.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think 260 would be plenty.
Lyons was spinning the ball today, so Swan must be licking his lips.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
can someone explain to me the odds for today?

why are England favorites, then the Aussies, then the draw?

surely the draw sohuld be favorite? There are 15 wickets left (5 us, and 10 the Aussies).

surely the draw should be fav, then the aussies, then us.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
can someone explain to me the odds for today?

why are England favorites, then the Aussies, then the draw?

surely the draw sohuld be favorite? There are 15 wickets left (5 us, and 10 the Aussies).

surely the draw should be fav, then the aussies, then us.

There are two days left & the team batting last in a test match rarely lasts more than a day nor gets more than it did in the first innings, so even with some rain a draw is least likely. England will win from here

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
There are two days left & the team batting last in a test match rarely lasts more than a day nor gets more than it did in the first innings, so even with some rain a draw is least likely. England will win from here

Thanks Vegas, but surely there is only 1 day left (today)? e.g thurs-monday - 5 days.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bell really has been the saviour for us with the bat, top man.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep, it seems there is a strategy now that for back to back tests, the following test starts on the Friday so the players get 3 days rest instead of 2.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So then, around 100 more runs this morning should put this one out of sight, you'd think we have the batting left to achieve this but will probably need Prior to work out his issues with facing Siddle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So then, around 100 more runs this morning should put this one out of sight, you'd think we have the batting left to achieve this but will probably need Prior to work out his issues with facing Siddle.

I wouldn't feel comfortable without this being added, but as others have said, 250 could be enough on this pitch.

New ball will be the deciding factor. We could add 100 more and beyond if we bat well and Bell stays with the tail, or we could be all out only adding 30 or 40. Fascinating morning in prospect.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I wouldn't feel comfortable without this being added, but as others have said, 250 could be enough on this pitch.

New ball will be the deciding factor. We could add 100 more and beyond if we bat well and Bell stays with the tail, or we could be all out only adding 30 or 40. Fascinating morning in prospect.

It's been another excellent test match, not quite up with Tent Bridge yet but could well be.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
OK. It is CRUNCH time... the new ball has been taken... England are 250-5 (leading by 218).

The next hour is VITAL to the destiny of the Test Match.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
LBW review against Bresnan... Aleem Dar says not out.. looked possibly high to me??

and it is UMPIRES CALL... clipping the top of leg stump.

No reviews left for Australia.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Bell cleaned up by Harris

Seemed to stay a bit low, inside edge, clattered into middle and off.

Pressure on Prior to make a contribution.

251-6

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here