Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
...the second (Yorkshire) was in the fourth innings.

I meant each teams 2nd innings, I hadn't realised you were being that specific to the 3rd innings (???)! Even more impressive then 339 for the final innings.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He's been thrown into opening incredibly young & in an Ashes to boot. He's got the talent, just a few issues to iron out. Cook also had a similar spell when he was nearly dropped but he sorted out his technical issue at the time.

That ball today would have got many a better batsman than Root out, a proper Jaffa.

I still think it is too early for Root to open. After the fantastic Strauss/ Banger and Strauss/Cook opening partnerships we are struggling to build a new one. A good opening partnership should regularly post 75 ish for the first wicket and this series that has been missing

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My God Trott is getting out to some shocking shots this series, some really bizarre dismissals. What the hell kind of shot was that!?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What are we doing!? Cook is out playing a wide one, all Trott has to do is duck a little and that ball is no danger! He's not even tried to smack it. Stupid shot. We're 3 down and only 1 was a decent wicket taking delivery.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
3 down for cheap and the door is open again for the convicts.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How are we not preparing our batsman for their plans!? Surely we know they'll target Trott with short stuff, and yet you'd say he looked completely surprised by it. Cook was going along great guns, he had no need to score anymore quickly or look for big shots - why oh why was he going after one so wide when he's had 2 days to see how the ball moves off this pitch!!!??? I'm shocked at us I really am.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England now lead by 52... 3 down... Pietersen and Bell scoring at 4.6 per over, it would seem that the plan is to get the runs on the board rather than just eat up time.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
England now lead by 52... 3 down... Pietersen and Bell scoring at 4.6 per over, it would seem that the plan is to get the runs on the board rather than just eat up time.

They've at least learnt that from the first innings. There's always going to be wicket taking deliveries on this pitch (we've had one today...) so you have to get the scoreboard ticking and form those partnerships, not panic when you lose one eg Cook then Trott.

How many times have we been sub 50 runs for 3 wickets this series? Got to be getting on some kind of record..,

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it's the 3rd time this series, extend it to sub 75-3 and I think it's the 5th time!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
My God Trott is getting out to some shocking shots this series, some really bizarre dismissals. What the hell kind of shot was that!?

It's bizarre isn't it. It's almost like he's in too good form & so he's freed himself to play more shots. He has the best strike rate of English batsmen in this series!

I just want the boring, grinding, single minded accumulator back. We've got Pietersen if we need someone to get out playing a daft shot.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

The right plan on a wicket like this. The first two innings have proved with the old ball you can occupy but run scoring is tough. I approve of the positivity even if it goes wrong.

Jimmy Grimble

Holding is definitely losing it as a commentator.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
KP has played well, not his fault the top 3 could add naff all. When KP came in we were in the mire. He's departed with us having a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here