Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
and AGAIN!!

Khawaja gone for a DUCK... caught behind off the toe end, good low catch going the wrong way from Matt Prior.

12-2 :clap:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So that is a double poor decision from Tony Hill... given out caught when he didn't hit it (a clear HOWLER), and not out LBW when it was (with a small margin for error perhaps that is not an absolute HOWLER).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So let me get this straight. He was given out caught behind, reviewed it, no edge so over ruled, but WAS out lbw, but because England didn't appeal for lbw he stays in. WTF :shrug:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So let me get this straight. He was given out caught behind, reviewed it, no edge so over ruled, but WAS out lbw, but because England didn't appeal for lbw he stays in. WTF :shrug:

No, it is not because England didn't appeal... because they did (as an appeal is not specific to a particular mode of dismissal).. it is because Tony Hill gave him out CAUGHT and not LBW.

Having said that, if Hill has realised he hadn't hit it, and had given it out LBW (which was perfectly possible), it would have still been OUT on review. Clear?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

The important point being that it didn't look like an lbw, it always looked too high. People need to be careful what they wish for, if they start giving lbw for every sing ball that clips the stumps like that I think it'll ruin the game

No, it is not because England didn't appeal... because they did (as an appeal is not specific to a particular mode of dismissal).. it is because Tony Hill gave him out CAUGHT and not LBW.

Having said that, if Hill has realised he hadn't hit it, and had given it out LBW (which was perfectly possible), it would have still been OUT on review. Clear?

I think so, he was given out caught behind so the umpire thought the bat hit the ball, as he thought the bat hit the ball it could not have been given as lbw.

Yes?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think so, he was given out caught behind so the umpire thought the bat hit the ball, as he thought the bat hit the ball it could not have been given as lbw.

Yes?

Good clear explanation.

So, if for arguments sake it had been the other way round what would have been the decision? i.e. if an umpire gives someone out lbw, but an edge shows up which the wicket keeper caught, then the lbw is decision is not out, but would the batsman be given out caught behind?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here