Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Game on, let's see the convicts at home to Captain Cock-Up again

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
No, I can't say as I've seen any county cricket this season but with more than 50 wickets at an average of less than 21 on a wicket that is deemed to suit him he is worth a go. If a player performs well in the county game then what more can he do to get into the England side, especially when there are players in there who are not particularly performing well.

As for the batting, I am sorry but that is clap-trap. Pick your best batsmen to bat and your best bowlers to bowl. Bresnans batting in any case has been pretty dreadful in the past 10 or so tests he has played for England.

On that basis why is Jordan not ahead of Onions in the pecking order?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bresnans batting in any case has been pretty dreadful in the past 10 or so tests he has played for England.

To be fair he's probably still in on his bowling, his bowling average in this series is 28.14 compared to Broad 52.00 and Finn 58.5. He's seen as the fall guy but his bowling has been generally good.

I would have been thinking of bringing Onions in for Bairstow but that is far too positive for this England setup.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Slow and steady for England, no great alarms in the first 8 overs from Bird and Harris.

England 15-0

Cook 4* Root 7*

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Slow and steady, no great alarms in the first 8 overs.

England 15-0

Cook 4* Root 7*

Always remember getting really confused as kid that the 2 batsmens scores rarely added up to the total score before dad painstakingly took me through leg-byes, wides etc...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Always remember getting really confused as kid that the 2 batsmens scores rarely added up to the total score before dad painstakingly took me through leg-byes, wides etc...

and Shane Watson is adding to the discrepancy with two booming wides in his first over!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel for Onions. It's his home ground, he's been bowling well there, and pretty much everywhere else too. Bairstow hasn't done anything to suggest he's capable of getting a hundred either, so needs to deliver in this test.

England are fortunate to have Finn, Tremlett and Onions as pace back-up. I wish the batting back-up was as strong.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have 2 wishes for this test:

1. England win
2. Swann c. Lyon. b Bird.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Said for a while, despite his innings at Lords, that Joe Root is not yet an England opener. Still need convincing. Not moving your feet on the first morning of a test match is asking for trouble.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
England getting bogged down, under 2 runs per over, giving the bowlers confidence and the chance for them to stay attacking.

Root there is playing at one he could leave, and he was leaving others he could score off. It's all a bit negative, bat for nearly 90mins, and instead of being 50 or 60-1, it's an uncomfortable 35-1. Need to start to score otherwise we're letting them get away with bowling what they please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here