Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four Linesman

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Alan Ball (yes yes I know) had a BRILLIANT idea about 10 years ago.

His idea was that you have the same three officials working together every week (refereeing different games obviously). That way they get to know each other, how they officiate and thus bring some consistency.

At the moment they meet on the day, about an hour before kick off and then maybe see each other 6 months later or maybe never again. Not really good working practice is it...

Simple but brilliant.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
I don't mind the idea of four linesman - but I would have two of them there to solely adjudicate on offside decisions ie. move up and back with the last defender and therefore not be caught out of position

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Alan Ball (yes yes I know) had a BRILLIANT idea about 10 years ago.

His idea was that you have the same three officials working together every week (refereeing different games obviously). That way they get to know each other, how they officiate and thus bring some consistency.

At the moment they meet on the day, about an hour before kick off and then maybe see each other 6 months later or maybe never again. Not really good working practice is it...

Simple but brilliant.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The game has got so quick in recent years with player fitness etc that the poor old linesman can not keep up with the last man.

1st Linesman: from the goal line to the edge of the penalty area.
2nd Linesman; Opposite side from Penalty area to centre line.
3rd Linesman; Opposite side from centre line to Penalty area.
4th Linesman: Opposite side from penalty area to goal line.

This covers the entire pitch with every linesman only having a small specific area to control so in theory nothing should be missed and they should be in radio contact with the ref. Finally include Alan Balls idea of working as a team of 5 on a regular basis.

The game must advance with the times.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
4 linesmen has been my choice for years, it can only improve the game, and the cost is minimal to the FA.

Forget electronic line devices, how can that be implemented across all levels of football?

4 linos, easy to implement.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
what the hell are you lot on about ?? :angry:

Superphil, there is a shortage of referees as it is now, how do you imagine the FA will conjure up another 50,000 people to be a second ASSISTANT REFEREE ??

They don't grow on trees mate.

PLUS, you bring in a second lino and some of your current linos will think, "well they obviously don't have faith in my ability to run half a pitch, they can f*** off if im gonna continue refereeing for them" Then you've lost more referees when you need to gain them.

Seagullible you have tonight spoken true words of a clever brain.

People complain about controversial refereeing decisions, they also moan when referees and asistant referees miss important calls, but this is football, it comes as a package deal and I'm not being funny but referees are only human. Humans, last time I checked make mistakes. Players make more mistakes in one game, then a referee does. This is fact, yet they wont change the team playing squad numbers up to 15 to make up for mistakes the previous 11 make will they ??

Change is not good.

This idea cannot and will not work.

Rodders A.K.A Referee87

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Rodders said:

Superphil, there is a shortage of referees as it is now, how do you imagine the FA will conjure up another 50,000 people to be a second ASSISTANT REFEREE ??

PLUS, you bring in a second lino and some of your current linos will think, "well they obviously don't have faith in my ability to run half a pitch, they can f*** off if im gonna continue refereeing for them" Then you've lost more referees when you need to gain them.

People complain about controversial refereeing decisions, they also moan when referees and asistant referees miss important calls, but this is football, it comes as a package deal and I'm not being funny but referees are only human. Humans, last time I checked make mistakes. Players make more mistakes in one game, then a referee does. This is fact, yet they wont change the team playing squad numbers up to 15 to make up for mistakes the previous 11 make will they ??

Change is not good.

Rodders A.K.A Referee87
:clap2: :bowdown:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Rodders said:

Change is not good.

Rodders A.K.A Referee87

Clearly Rodders I was not aware of a shortage of Ref/linos, if that is the case, then I take your point totally.

Having said that, if there were 4 linos, would the resuling improved perception of refs/linos possibly improve the job, making it more attractive to recruit more?

Also, with regards to "faith in my ability" the responsibilities of the 4 linos would be spread, during normal play, four of them running the lines, when the action heats up around the goal, one of them (designated) goes onto the touchline to observe the goal line, fouls in the box etc.

My point is that, 5 pairs of eyes should spot more than 3, providing the officials can all communicate (electronically like they do in the Prem, verbally, or through signals) they should be able to make more accurate decisions.

Something needs to happen, and electronic devices will only be for the rich clubs. for all the others, they could get the bums rush, and BHA would be in that catagory. Whatever changes, it must be practical to implement across at least the top 6-8 levels of football, if not all of them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Superphil said:
4 linesmen has been my choice for years, it can only improve the game, and the cost is minimal to the FA.

Forget electronic line devices, how can that be implemented across all levels of football?

4 linos, easy to implement.

They cannot bring in rules which cannot be accomodated at ALL levels and as you say 4 linesmen/asst Refs is the easiest alternative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here