Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four horse race

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Saturday will tell us how good we are relative to Boro (including squad strength given that we will have injuries and Dunk suspended). For me it's a banker draw. That would set us up nicely to push on with a decent January window though I suspect Boro and Derby are not done spending yet either.

My worry is that a top group is forming but that it is a group of 4 as the OP said. Obviously only 2 go up and I can see that not being decided until the last couple of games against Derby and Boro.

There are a couple of worries in the pack too. Will Reading continue to underachieve? Their squad is way better than their league position. QPR with Austin under JFH will get plenty of results too. If they sell Austin though they're screwed.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
All 4 teams could be on 2 points a game on Saturday evening. That's quite a competitive group of 4. Could this be the season when 2 points a game doesn't guarantee promotion?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
A quick glance at goal difference makes us the 4th of the 4, but I think with some clever transfer moves and the return of some of the injured we have an excellent chance of making the top two. Beat Boro on Sat and the stats look incredibly rosy for us.

It's worth noting that it's goals conceded that puts us at the bottom of the four, not goals scored. Does our defence need strengthening more than our attacking options?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
It will be close, no doubt, this is the Championship the most competitive league in the world. I will say however, that currently we are seeing the most exciting football we have ever seen at the Amex. Hughton is going for it, might have done better with his substitutions at QPR, but that's history now. Would be great to beat Boro on Saturday, but there is not an easy match in this division, plenty of time for some to drop away and others to emerge.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Being unable to hold a lead away from home will end our top two ambitions IMO.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Some people seem a lot more confident than I am!

Not me (just yet) for all sorts of reason (injuries back maybe, transfer business done, just nearer the end) I'm looking at end of Jan to see what's what

Wondering what the Derby boards (if they had one) were saying this time last year?

That said, the more any kind of gap can develop the more we can feel confident of one or the other

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I think people are naive to think it's a 4 or 5 horse race when we're only 50% of the way through the season! 6 points/7 points is not a large gap, we could play a title rival one week and just lose and then slip up on the Tuesday night and if one of those teams won twice that gap has gone!

Plus there is always one team that goes on an excellent run from mid table

I'm still confident but it's too early for this chat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here