Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fouls on Follow Throughs

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't understand Dunk's yellow . To me it looked a strong but fair challenge after he mis controlled. If anything I thought the Spurs player committed the foul.
I said the same thing. He had the ball, was tackled and hit the Spurs player as he was falling.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No chance it was the Lino. Defo VAR it was ages after
Although while the player was receiving treatment, the linesman and ref had a discussion about the incident, before the yellow card was produced.

I put this into the bracket of on field decision but one influenced by the injury. If the Spurs player had jumped up to celebrate the goal, I doubt a card would have been issued.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I said the same thing. He had the ball, was tackled and hit the Spurs player as he was falling.
The replay suggested that his follow through had a degree of intent, that being to stop the player progressing further. Much discussion on commentary.

For me it was an 'orange'. The tackle did seem above the ankle. I was relieved he wasn't sent off, as that would have been a three match ban (?- not sure) I'm surprised the debate is a thing really. But it's an Albion player. If it had been an opposition player it would have been a red :ROFLMAO:

As for the above 'big six' comments above, that has been tirelessly unproved-fans of all clubs claiming refs are against them. Arsenal's miss-fortunes last year being an example of the opposite. It's just a bewildering case of confirmation bias.

There is, however, some evidence that referees have an unconscious bias against away teams. There isn't a lot in it, but it's there. That said, it can be countered with an argument that perhaps away teams are more likely to foul/transgress. So even that could be challenged.

The ref was okay on Thursday. He seemed to let a lot go, but was even handed with it. Obviously the transgressions listed on here are only ones where Albion were on the receiving end. There were some incidents where I thought we would get a yellow and didn't. I think young Jack was involved in a couple earlier on.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember a game where somebody I was playing with followed through whilst trying to get to a header (Buckingham park if I remember rightly although a couple of NSCers will no doubt confirm).

It was pretty foul :down:
Following through from behind is indeed an offence.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was chatting on WhatsApp during the match with a sports journo mate of mine who lives in Australia - his comment on seeing who the ref was was that they were glad to see the back of him in the A-League!

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Although while the player was receiving treatment, the linesman and ref had a discussion about the incident, before the yellow card was produced.

I put this into the bracket of on field decision but one influenced by the injury. If the Spurs player had jumped up to celebrate the goal, I doubt a card would have been issued.
When he eventually got up from what he made out to be a bad injury he wasn’t limping at all

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Didn’t they score straight away from the cross?

No chance it was the Lino. Defo VAR it was ages after
Well, I think differently.
Yes, they did score straight from the cross.
But I don't know why you're so certain on this. VAR only checks goals, penalties, mistaken identity and red cards. Therefore, if the rules are applied (and I see no reason why they wouldn't), VAR can check for a red card, and would then need to send the ref to the screen if VAR thought it was a potential red card. That didn't happen.
As to what happened after Dunk's challenge, as you said, they crossed and then scored. The ref played advantage after the foul. The linesman would be aware of this. So when play next stops after the goal, the linesman consults with the ref about the challenge, and indicates that he thinks it's a yellow. Having just watched the highlights I think it's a yellow.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The ref gave the yellow card ages after the incident. He didn't give it in real time. VAR presumably considered if it should be red and said not. VAR cannot suggest a yellow card. So why did the ref then choose to give a yellow ?? If they hadn't scored and play had been continuing he wouldn't have done so.
I think the ref saw nothing wrong and then was influenced simply by the fact that VAR was looking at it, which is not how it's supposed to work.
VAR isn't working as it is supposed to work. A complete joke.
I just watched a rugby game on TV. Ref says to TMO on field decision is a try, just need to confirm the grounding. 15 seconds later try confirmed.
Are you watching PGMOL?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As to what happened after Dunk's challenge, as you said, they crossed and then scored. The ref played advantage after the foul. The linesman would be aware of this. So when play next stops after the goal, the linesman consults with the ref about the challenge, and indicates that he thinks it's a yellow. Having just watched the highlights I think it's a yellow.
Was it even a foul? Dunk contacts the ball cleanly, an opposition player puts himself in a position to intercept the clearance, which he did. Dunk's momentum continued that without the intent of the Spurs player would not have initiated the contact but got caught. To me (old school) it's not even a foul.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yet Ange was very upset that Dunk wasn't given a red!
It did worry me when I saw the replay. He did extend his tackle (Matron !). And it looked like it was slightly above the ankle. VAR obviously thought there wasn't enough. Tottenham Hotspur have obviously slipped out the Big Six...

Joking aside, if the ref had sent him off then he would have stayed red. The problem for refs, and it should be taken note, is that only a replay can really show a lot of these things for certain. It happens so quickly and refs are not always at the best angle.

So much is down to Umpire's Call. That's why I have a lot of respect for refs. No-one can get even the vast majority of decisions perfect, or consistent. And if things carry on as they are there won't be enough refs left anyway.

Some referees are considered as being outstanding. This is less down to their decision making and more down to their presence. I've seen Nigel Owens make some clangers in rugby, I've seen Dickie Bird give some awful decisions in cricket. It's often the least respected refs who are actually the best. Another example in rugby being Wayne Barnes. If he's so rubbish then why did he keep getting the top gigs ? For football read rugby. Although rugby is nowhere near as disrespectful and irrational.

I'm more of an authority on cricket. And sometimes I do cry out at the screen 'WTF ?'. But I still respect the umpires. Judging if a ball traveling at 90mph from the bowlers hand is hitting the top of the stumps or not is something I could ever do. Football has a lot of comparisons.

Last edited:

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Was it even a foul? Dunk contacts the ball cleanly, an opposition player puts himself in a position to intercept the clearance, which he did. Dunk's momentum continued that without the intent of the Spurs player would not have initiated the contact but got caught. To me (old school) it's not even a foul.
It seems the give fouls on the follow through now, inconsistently, sometimes. Which in theory could mean you could throw yourself late into a tackle and get the other player penalised when you get hit! Next they’ll ban heading … oh …

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here