Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forster-Caskey

Dec 29, 2011
Ince is better in the air in my view, stronger in the tackle, better in his own and the opposition's box, no contest in my view.

JFC better from a vision perspective.

Ince is better on the ball, some of his forward passes have been immense this season. He makes things happen, either with good vision or with driving runs. Unfortunately JFC seems to be turning into a Hammond-esque player and needs to snap out of it before he finds himself a Championship journeyman.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ince is better on the ball, some of his forward passes have been immense this season. He makes things happen, either with good vision or with driving runs. Unfortunately JFC seems to be turning into a Hammond-esque player and needs to snap out of it before he finds himself a Championship journeyman.

I think that's unfair on Hammond who had comfortably a bigger impact in the time he was with us, than JFC has had all season.

Good point re Ince's driving runs.......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would have played Ince instead. It would have given Derby problems in centre midfield in that they would have had to spend a proportion of their time dealing with his marauding instead of breaking on us. I agree with Bozza in that this is Oscars decision. Overall I'm just not convinced that JFC is championship quality or that we play quickly enough with him and Andrews. Again neither players' fault per se.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Would take an out of form Ince over JFC every time.

JFC is hopelessly out of his depth at this level and yesterday his performance was poor and proved it, arguably he unwittingly played a part in both Derby goals, the wild shot followed, by the half-hearted attempt to tackle when Derby broke that ended up in a penalty, and for the second when he tried to shepherd the ball out near the corner and was out-muscled.

There is no way Ince would have lost a physical battle off form or not.

It is more damaging for JFC and the team for him to be continually played, when physically he is not up to it. He will develop further as he is still young but needs to go to a League 1 team.

Whilst you're right, JFC played a very minor part in both goals you have to remember that ince's early season form was seriously waning and culminated with him being clearly at fault for two goals at Blackburn. That's why he's out.

JFC has been preferred in the last two games because he is seen as more attack minded, more likely to score and has more creativity and vision all vital traits at Forest and last night. There were snippets of this last night, but not nearly enough. Ince might well get the nod on Sunday if they set up to be more defensive and grow into the game. We didn't lose a physical battle in midfield last night. It's Derby, not Stoke.

The one thing I can't abide is all the scapegoating. These are young players who should be able to play without fear, rather than knowing that sections of our crowd are just waiting to jump on any mistake.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whilst you're right, JFC played a very minor part in both goals you have to remember that ince's early season form was seriously waning and culminated with him being clearly at fault for two goals at Blackburn. That's why he's out.

JFC has been preferred in the last two games because he is seen as more attack minded, more likely to score and has more creativity and vision all vital traits at Forest and last night. There were snippets of this last night, but not nearly enough. Ince might well get the nod on Sunday if they set up to be more defensive and grow into the game. We didn't lose a physical battle in midfield last night. It's Derby, not Stoke.

The one thing I can't abide is all the scapegoating. These are young players who should be able to play without fear, rather than knowing that sections of our crowd are just waiting to jump on any mistake.

I accept what you are saying, but whilst we should back our team on the pitch, if you are old enough you are apparently good enough, so should repeatedly poor performances be acceptable as well? (he was poor at Forest and has been average at best all year)

I don't accept he is a more attacking option and certainly don't accept what you saying about the midfield and physical battles, with the exception of Andrews, neither Orlandi or JFC won one of their tackles the entire night, both of their goals came from an inability to put a physical challenge in.

On the basis Ince (whilst carrying an injury from Hull) was poor at Blackburn, surely Oscar should apply the same logic to JFC after yesterday.

If Bruno was fit, I'd consider Calderon in midfield, more attacking than JFC, better on the ball and more able in terms of tackling.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
He had a bad game.....leave him alone !

yep, whoever decides on these matters got us into the play-offs ......... and someone has a bit of a howler ..........CRUCIFY HIM ..... if he'd had the ball fall nicely 30 yards out and buried it he'd be a 'legend'.

(.thought Calderon & Greer had a good game)

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

wow, i'll have a pint of what your on mate.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I accept what you are saying, but whilst we should back our team on the pitch, if you are old enough you are apparently good enough, so should repeatedly poor performances be acceptable as well? (he was poor at Forest and has been average at best all year)

I don't accept he is a more attacking option and certainly don't accept what you saying about the midfield and physical battles, with the exception of Andrews, neither Orlandi or JFC won one of their tackles the entire night, both of their goals came from an inability to put a physical challenge in.

On the basis Ince (whilst carrying an injury from Hull) was poor at Blackburn, surely Oscar should apply the same logic to JFC after yesterday.

If Bruno was fit, I'd consider Calderon in midfield, more attacking than JFC, better on the ball and more able in terms of tackling.

What you're saying about Calderon sums it up. Our entire midfield is either unfit, half fit or so out of form that playing a full back there is an option. The only one playing half decently is Andrews (can't believe I'm saying that!).

I remember Bridcutt bossing the play off semi up at Selhurst and Hammond having a very good game, getting in the box loads and having several chances. Our midfield at present is a million miles from that level, whoever you put out.

Disagree about the physical side. You can't start the home leg against a tidy footballing side thinking about how to stop the opposition. Besides, that was Andrews' job. I disagree that Ince is a more attacking option (he was a centre half a year ago). I love him, he's going to be some player but a couple of runs doesn't make him YAya Toure. JFC's game is all about passing, touch and runs into the box but sadly it's just not coming off for him right now. I don't blame Oscar one bit for picking him, but we need a rethink for Sunday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ince and JFC DON'T play in the same position, they are not interchangeable.

Ince will be a first team regular once Andrews returns to Bolton.
JFC is third choice behind, Crofts and Stephens.

Ince and Andrews can't play together when the game needs to be won, they are too defensive.

Ince can't replace JFC because every time Ince powers into the last third of the pitch, his knees buckle and he panics.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Ince and Andrews can't play together when the game needs to be won, they are too defensive.

Ince can't replace JFC because every time Ince powers into the last third of the pitch, his knees buckle and he panics.

Given our level of choice available I don't think holding or attacking comes into it. If you seriously think JFC is an offensive threat then I'm staggered.

We need presence and people who are going to pick up runners, see second goal.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Stop talking sense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given our level of choice available I don't think holding or attacking comes into it. If you seriously think JFC is an offensive threat then I'm staggered.

We need presence and people who are going to pick up runners, see second goal.

Whether JFC is an offensive threat or not, isn't the point.
He is in the team in place of Crofts or Stephens.
If either of those players were available would JFC have played?... No

Swapping JFC for Ince will give an extra body to 'pick up the runners', but it will also stop any 'runners' or attacking through balls from us.
We've had probably 2 full seasons, out of the last 3, moaning about 2 'holding' midfielders stifling our creativity.
Just like last season, we've loosened the defensive shackles and have gone from the edge of mid-table to the play-offs.
We must win on Sunday, that's not going to happen with 2 holding midfielders.

If JFC sits out Sunday, as I think he should, then it's either SD or Solly.
(BTW neither fill me with much confidence)

If Buckley is a non starter, and KLL comes in I'd have SD for the first half, with Solly and CMS lined up through the second half depending on the score line.
Finishing off with bringing Brez on in the 119th minute.

Last edited:

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
He wouldn't be first choice, we have others ahead of him in the pecking order who aren't available. Give the kid a break, he's doing his best. Why are Brighton fans such ***** when it comes to young players? The young players must read NSC, it can't do a lot for their confidence, can it?

First off, I've been a huge fan of JFC throughout his progression, so quite who you're calling a **** I don't know. If it was infact aimed at me specifically, you're miles out as when it comes to young players I'm more than enthusiastic. If the truth be told you come across as a bit of a dickhead yourself for trying to slate people that don't share your opinion. Anyhow, more importantly...

Why should he get a break? Would be willing to bet he gets paid a significant amount more than you and I, a little bit of criticism on an internet football forum (which I'd be willing to bet he won't even read) is not going to hurt him. Nothing worth getting your knickers in a twist about. :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whether JFC is an offensive threat or not, isn't the point.
He is in the team in place of Crofts or Stephens.
If either of those players were available would JFC have played?... No

Swapping JFC for Ince will give an extra body to 'pick up the runners', but it will also stop any 'runners' or attacking through balls from us.
We've had probably 2 full seasons, out of the last 3, moaning about 2 'holding' midfielders stifling our creativity.
Just like last season, we've loosened the defensive shackles and have gone from the edge of mid-table to the play-offs.
We must win on Sunday, that's not going to happen with 2 holding midfielders.

If JFC sits out Sunday, as I think he should, then it's either SD or Solly.
(BTW neither fill me with much confidence)

If Buckley is a non starter, and KLL comes in I'd have SD for the first half, with Solly and CMS lined up through the second half depending on the score line.
Finishing off with bringing Brez on in the 119th minute.

Your points are well made, but I would push Andrews on dropping JFC from the squad, and bring in Ince. Andrews was a revelation at Ipswich as an attacking midfielder.

If this did not work bring on Lopez. I'd take 0-0 at half-time and push on in the 2nd half. I really believe we have a good chance and Derby were not that good last evening, but their movement from midfield was.

In terms of the past 2 seasons, the quality of football was better than what we have been served up with this season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Ince had a nightmare game at Blackburn but he also suffered a dead leg injury so instead of being dropped for making a hash of things he has had to get back to being fully fit. Oscar as much as said that Ince was suffering from "burnout" because we had relied on him so much when so many players were on the treatment table. Ince has the physical presence to boss the midfield whereas JFC gets brushed aside by the opposition.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ince had a nightmare game at Blackburn but he also suffered a dead leg injury so instead of being dropped for making a hash of things he has had to get back to being fully fit. Oscar as much as said that Ince was suffering from "burnout" because we had relied on him so much when so many players were on the treatment table. Ince has the physical presence to boss the midfield whereas JFC gets brushed aside by the opposition.

Absolutely spot on.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Oh god, this is getting boring. As Stat Brother so eloquently put it, Ince and JFC are not interchangeable, they are very different players. I love Ince, but Andrews has been keeping him out of the side. We were playing two holding midfielders for a while, but Garcia changed it at half time a Blackburn. We were losing that, we had lost the last three with Ince and Andrews. So we get the draw and then go the next seven games unbeaten playing one holding midfielder. You can't blame Garcia for showing faith in the system that delivered that run and shoving Ince in is a aquare peg in a round hole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here