Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forrest - Mull of Kintyre

No. 25

Aug 25, 2012
Im struggling to think of a time when ive heard an entire stadium belt a song out with such noise and gusto...

Cracking effort Forest fans

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Interesting comments, but does anyone know what the song has to do with Nottingham ?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I got my imaginary tambourine out & played the superfluous Linda McCartney role when it kicked in.

and I can imagine that! ... Can someone explain the significance of this song with ref. to Forest? I'd have thought "Robin Hood Robin Hood riding through the glen, Robin Hood Robin Hood with his band of men Robin Hood Robin Hood" would've been more appropriate???!

Im struggling to think of a time when ive heard an entire stadium belt a song out with such noise and gusto...

Cracking effort Forest fans

They sang one line of it and had the PA turned up so loud you couldn't tell if it was a recording or their fans singing - what a naff song to have as your anthem. Apart from this they were very quiet but not as quiet as Palace last week. :lolol:

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
They sang one line of it and had the PA turned up so loud you couldn't tell if it was a recording or their fans singing - what a naff song to have as your anthem. Apart from this they were very quiet but not as quiet as Palace last week. :lolol:

Were you in the khazi when they turned the pa off then ? When the entire ground carried on singing it was as loud as I've heard anywhere.

Were you in the khazi when they turned the pa off then ? When the entire ground carried on singing it was as loud as I've heard anywhere.

Where else have you heard "Mull of Kintyre" sung at a football ground?

As I explained you couldn't tell if it was the PA or the crowd - and it went as quickly as it came. Pointless ,bizarre , naff. Now if they had sung "Robin Hood riding through the glen" I would have seen a link.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Interesting comments, but does anyone know what the song has to do with Nottingham ?

Nothing, except that it would have been number one in their first Division One title winning season. I don't know how that affects it, but that was what my brain was telling me when I stood bewildered as they all sang it with such gusto.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

As I explained you couldn't tell if it was the PA or the crowd - and it went as quickly as it came. Pointless ,bizarre , naff. Now if they had sung "Robin Hood riding through the glen" I would have seen a link.

I was more referring to the volume by which it was sung rather than the song itself.
And I totally agree, if you look back to my original post, I too was very curious as to why they sing MOK, I can't see the link either ?

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
"City Ground, Oh mist rolling in from the Trent, my desire, is always to be here, oh City Ground"

Are the words they sing, according to Wikki..

TrentSide

Mar 31, 2013
Hey all, just thought I'd answer a few of your questions. Forest have sung MOK since 1978, the lyrics are changed to "City Ground, Oh Mist Rolling In From The Trent, My Desire, Is Always To Be Here, Oh City Ground", back in the day we sung other versus too it, but that has died out now. Yes it doesn't have any link to us specifically but the mist did actually role in from the Trent in the 70s and 80s quite frequently also a few times this year especially recently vs Ipswich which is why it also did fit. It's not our "anthem" but more of a chant which has now been adapted over the tannoy since 2009. I do like the reactions of most away fans as I understand it can be quite confusing seeing us belt out this McCartney track and I know a lot of people despise the song :D Charlton also have a version "Valley Floyd Road" which they started singing in the 90s. If you don't like it then fair enough, but I do prefer to start the game with it and it's great in the really big games. Heres a video of it yesterday, I don't know why they play it at half time, most people are not back in their seats and they don't cut off the music which I agree sounds just awfully bad. Anyway, best of luck for the rest of the season, fantastic bunch of fans and you were easily one of the best at our ground this season, superior to Palace. Could face you again in the playoffs anyway, please stuff the bin dippers (Leicester). :cheers:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Dont know about now but that was always the theme tune of Notts County when I think it was Andy Beattie was manager.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Hey all, just thought I'd answer a few of your questions. Forest have sung MOK since 1978, the lyrics are changed to "City Ground, Oh Mist Rolling In From The Trent, My Desire, Is Always To Be Here, Oh City Ground", back in the day we sung other versus too it, but that has died out now. Yes it doesn't have any link to us specifically but the mist did actually role in from the Trent in the 70s and 80s quite frequently also a few times this year especially recently vs Ipswich which is why it also did fit. It's not our "anthem" but more of a chant which has now been adapted over the tannoy since 2009. I do like the reactions of most away fans as I understand it can be quite confusing seeing us belt out this McCartney track and I know a lot of people despise the song :D Charlton also have a version "Valley Floyd Road" which they started singing in the 90s. If you don't like it then fair enough, but I do prefer to start the game with it and it's great in the really big games. Heres a video of it yesterday, I don't know why they play it at half time, most people are not back in their seats and they don't cut off the music which I agree sounds just awfully bad. Anyway, best of luck for the rest of the season, fantastic bunch of fans and you were easily one of the best at our ground this season, superior to Palace. Could face you again in the playoffs anyway, please stuff the bin dippers (Leicester). :cheers:

Thanks, clears up my confusion anyway ! Yes it's a shit song, and a bit shit with the pa, but in my opinion sounded brilliant when the music cut and you all sang as one.
Good luck for the rest of the season, maybe we'll see you again in May !

TrentSide

Mar 31, 2013
No worries mate, lets hope we get there in May, 5th time lucky in Play Offs for us maybe... :D Would be a great final!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here