Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Former Brighton Manager Mike Bailey Book Available

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
My Dad has finally published his autobiography so if any of you remember the heady heights of the top division, and I'm very proud to say the highest point in Seagull's history to date, (although things are looking rosy once more so that may not be for too long!) you might find it interesting. The book tracks his career from Charlton and England with his leg break in 1965 (not great timing!) and then on to Wolves, The States, Hereford and then the interesting Mullery/Bailey, Charlton/Brighton manager swap. Dad was devastated to lose his job in the FA Cup year and then see the decline of the team so if you want to know the background to that time, his time, the book is available on Amazon at the following link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0992982650

On a personal note I was bon in Wolverhampton so have been 'saddled' with Wolves as my team but I have always supported all of Dad's teams and as I married a Brighton girl with family still in the city, especially my sister in law, who's a stone's throw from the Amex, I've always held Brighton close to my heart. It looks like the good times are back at last.

Cheers

Andy Bailey
in hindsight we should have stuck with your father it's all about just staying in the league I liked your dad I was at the Spurs Wolves cup final at White Hart lane which was 1-1 when he captained wolves. Spurs won the away game 1-0 by The great Martin Chivers goal.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
He was always one of my favourite players, a swashbuckling captain to an exciting Wolves team. I thought he'd be a great manager for Albion but have to say I became bored with the defensive football.

We had some fantastic away wins where we 'parked the bus' nad hit on the break but eventually teams sussed us. I was an ever-present in those days. The big games were great but it was the mediocre trips where we would go away and after 60-70 mins would go a goal down and never look capable of getting it back.

I'm glad to hear that Mike is still about and he would be far more learned than me as to why we played like we did. Today you could look at LVG and the highly placed, but boring Man Utd side, not that Mike had anything like the money or resources available.

Best memory? A 2-0 win at The Dell which also prevented Saints going top of the league for the 1st time in their history. I still don't think they've done it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for the memories, Mike

Screenshot (9).png

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I've emailed the editor and asked if I can buy one direct. Will let you know how I get on.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
in hindsight we should have stuck with your father it's all about just staying in the league I liked your dad I was at the Spurs Wolves cup final at White Hart lane which was 1-1 when he captained wolves. Spurs won the away game 1-0 by The great Martin Chivers goal.

They won that away game 2-1 actually. Chivers scored twice. The same night, Pat Saward's team drew 1-1 at home to Rochdale to earn promotion from the third division at the expense of Bournemouth.

Feb 14, 2010
Pont of order. Charlie Webb led us to our highest position. Winners of Southern league, then beating Villa as winners of the football league for Albion to lift the Charity Shield and be Champions of England.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Pont of order. Charlie Webb led us to our highest position. Winners of Southern league, then beating Villa as winners of the football league for Albion to lift the Charity Shield and be Champions of England.
That's all very wonderful I'm sure but most people wouldn't consider that as our greatest league position.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
They won that away game 2-1 actually. Chivers scored twice. The same night, Pat Saward's team drew 1-1 at home to Rochdale to earn promotion from the third division at the expense of Bournemouth.

Thanks another one of my favourite managers I demonstrated against Pat Sacking the Rochdale game was a good night what was the attendance for the game .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here