Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Form that often gets a manager the sack

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
He just seems to lack that killer instinct to me. I think he'd be a better assistant than a manager. He can certainly get a team to play nice football but he's too bloody nice. I thought Gerrard was a bit of a tit when he ridiculed his interviewer after a Villa defeat, but at least he showed passion and was in a bad mood because he is a winner and detests losing. I'm sure he, like Ferguson and Wenger etc would tear into their players that weren't performing and demand better, rather than being there with a nice cup of cocoa and a hug. I'm sick of the ' It is what it is' attitude. I'm sure the players love him for it but it's like the whole club lacks that killer instinct. Hopefully he is still learning too, he certainly has some very good attributes. I'd like to see him demand a striker and stop being so wet and if Maupay etc can't deal with that then they're in the wrong job. We need pace and power added , so either back him or sack him. All been said before, but at least I've got it off my chest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did Potter not bring his own guy in for that? I don’t know the ins and outs, but I’m sure Potter will have a say in the type of player we bring in.

Nope, still Paul Winstanley as head of recruitment, like Hughton had. Potter has input on players bought in but still relies on the recruitment team at the club. Sack the manager and it wont change the players coming in

boik

One of the things I'm clinging to with GP is that we have outplayed every team we have played for long periods at some time in that last year or so. Even the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea. That takes some doing with the players they have. A lot of teams just defend for their lives . Even Palaces recently lauded 0-0 v City was dogged defending with only 26 % or so possession. I'm actually quite pleased we have a run of matches against the better clubs coming up.

It's the potential that excites me and frustrates me and I don't think that has gone away even with the recent terrible run. I think that will be what tantalises Tony, but its pretty obvious which piece of the puzzle is missing.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I am watching the the MOTD highlights, how the feck didn’t we win that game? Plenty of bad shots but also plenty of blocks from Norwich with the bounces favouring them too.

We have run out of luck, end of

Regardless of the naysayers bleating, I am totally confused why GP is getting the blame from so many on here, we created so many chances. What more is he supposed to do from the touchline?

Its not about what he is supposed to do on the touchline.Its about the fact a large part of his job is to find the solution to turning around a run of 3 wins in 25 games, there is a very good chance that we won't win the next 3 games.

We praise him when we are on a good run, he should be questioned when we are on a bad run.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
If we lose the next 3 games then we would have 3 wins and 13 draws in the last 28 games Burnley have currently played 28 games and have 3 wins and 12 draws. Yet all I hear when talking about Potter is how he didn't miss the penalty etc.

I don't remember where I heard it from but someone said football is 20% physical and 80% mental. Tim Krul showed that when he got into Maupays head, he didn't touch the ball but played his part in the penalty miss.

That is what Potter needs to do for the rest of the season, He needs to get into the players heads and get a winning mentality, I think Potter staying or going in the summer depends on if Bloom believes if Potter can turn this form around. Looking at what would be a 33 game sample surly would be a fair sample size?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
3 years ago so called entitled supporters didn’t demand top 10. Far from it.

If anything it was dreamers/optimists lightly mentioning it as an aspiration and we joked about European trips to Tallinn or Bratislava.

The disputes were about forever biting our nails over relegation to match day 38.

Exactly, I bet Bloom wished he hadn’t publicly said anything now.

We are 13th with our budget and squad, seems about right

Home form needs to improve, the atmosphere also needs to improve and we don’t have a right to be entertained, it’s a luxury and the team should be supported well through thick and thin.

Next season is probably the right time to start judging progress as we have the summer to address the issues

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't remember where I heard it from but someone said football is 20% physical and 80% mental. Tim Krul showed that when he got into Maupays head, he didn't touch the ball but played his part in the penalty miss.

?

I always think we are a bit lightweight and not very street wise and this was another perfect example of that. That wasn't a team looking out for each other and taking hte pressure off Maupay. He had to stand there and be put off, with no other Brighton player anywhere near him.

Not that long ago the same thing happened with Chelsea in the World Club Cup final - the captain Azpilicueta instead took the ball, stood up near the penalty spot while VAR checked it - and the actual taker Havertz was well out of the way. Then Havertz stepped up - Azpilicueta is the one who took all the verbals from the goalkeeper during the VAR check.

Would have liked to have seen Dunk get involved with that and protect Maupay

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly, I bet Bloom wished he hadn’t publicly said anything now.

We are 13th with our budget and squad, seems about right

Home form needs to improve, the atmosphere also needs to improve and we don’t have a right to be entertained, it’s a luxury and the team should be supported well through thick and thin.

Next season is probably the right time to start judging progress as we have the summer to address the issues

I’m more cautious for this and next season.

When the fat lady sings I think we’ll be lower than 13th.

Plus this summer might see the departures of Bissouma, Sanchez and another first teamer.

I don’t get the impression just now of any progression since this last year, if anything regression.

2020/21 was the season of mountains of missed chances/half-chances, hitting the woodwork, a great defence and quick transition from defence to attack.

2021/22 is increasingly looking like a toothless, slow team with an iffy defence.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m more cautious for this and next season.

When the fat lady sings I think we’ll be lower than 13th.

Plus this summer might see the departures of Bissouma, Sanchez and another first teamer.

I don’t get the impression just now of any progression since this last year, if anything regression.

2020/21 was the season of mountains of missed chances/half-chances, hitting the woodwork, a great defence and quick transition from defence to attack.

2021/22 is increasingly looking like a toothless, slow team with an iffy defence.

Agreed - I'm generally pretty positive but I think this summer could be a disaster for a few reasons:

- Departure of Ashworth will have put us in a tailspin in terms of planning. I am also surprised if David Weir is going to be director of football - it is a huge promotion from Loans Manager to DoF. He lacks the contacts and experience Ashworth had.
- Players entering last year of contracts - Bissouma, Maupay, Trossard, MacAllister - players out of contract Gross, Welbeck are all regulars - it's strange none have agreed deals yet and if we need to replace them plus improve the squad it will be by far our biggest transfer window spend ever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed - I'm generally pretty positive but I think this summer could be a disaster for a few reasons:

- Departure of Ashworth will have put us in a tailspin in terms of planning. I am also surprised if David Weir is going to be director of football - it is a huge promotion from Loans Manager to DoF. He lacks the contacts and experience Ashworth had.
- Players entering last year of contracts - Bissouma, Maupay, Trossard, MacAllister - players out of contract Gross, Welbeck are all regulars - it's strange none have agreed deals yet and if we need to replace them plus improve the squad it will be by far our biggest transfer window spend ever.

With TB (understandably) acting sensibly in financial terms, whilst Fulham, Villa, Saudis, CP etc embark on signing/borrowing expensive quality players.

Increasingly difficult to be an alchemist in the EPL imho.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We have definitely regressed this season and that is the worrying thing.
The first half of the season seemed to be us getting the luck we failed to last.
The performances in the second half of the season, have been very slow and predictable and occasionally awful.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

How do you know Weir hasn’t got the contacts? Would have been learning from Ashworth not to mention he was a former pro with huge contacts of his own. If Bloom had any doubts he wouldn’t get the job, have a bit of faith in a man who appoints the best people to take care of his club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How do you know Weir hasn’t got the contacts? Would have been learning from Ashworth not to mention he was a former pro with huge contacts of his own. If Bloom had any doubts he wouldn’t get the job, have a bit of faith in a man who appoints the best people to take care of his club.

I’m just saying - Ashworth was DoF at West Brom, then technical director at the FA for a long time so had a good 6-8 year experience before he came here. David Weir was our loan manager , a job Gordon Greer now has. Seems a hell of a promotion especially as someone who spent his time keeping tabs on our army on U18-U23s out on loan - to overseeing our whole football operation

I do have faith in Bloom - but he did appoint Hyypia, David Burke, Ken Brown who were huge failures

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Look up football web pages BHA are bottom of form league below Norwich!!!! That form often gets the manager the sack.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
We have definitely regressed this season and that is the worrying thing.
The first half of the season seemed to be us getting the luck we failed to last.
The performances in the second half of the season, have been very slow and predictable and occasionally awful.
I thought Burnley did their homework really well on us this season at home because of that predictability. Some might say we have no plan B which is what I often hear fans say. I believe we are too reliant upon the wing backs and can never play through the middle and would desperately be helped by a main big number 9 that can hold the ball up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here