Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Form that often gets a manager the sack

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They had absolutely nothing about them, a deserved relegation.

Smith’s tactics were laughable - I said this mid first half … timewasting :lolol:. WTF

Later bringing on the cliche of a pace merchant to rob a win. During his spell on the pitch, 9/10 times Norwich passed to us.

They weren't laughable, they were standard Albion lowly opposition tactics.

Defend deep.
Let them have the ball.
Make sure you capitalise on the mistake.

The only thing laughable would have been his belief that Norwich could score from their one attack.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They weren't laughable, they were standard Albion opposition tactics.

Defend deep.
Let them have the ball.
Make sure you capitalise on the mistake.

The only thing laughable would have been his belief that Norwich could score from their one attack.

Well, they made us look pretty good.

No one else has done that since Watford.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, they made us look pretty good.

No one else has done that since Watford.

Did they?

They kept us at arm's length comfortable in the knowledge if they did nothing stupid a point was there for the taking.
As it turned out they could take the point and do something stupid.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did they?

They kept us at arm's length comfortable in the knowledge if they did nothing stupid a point was there for the taking.
As it turned out they could take the point and do something stupid.

Holgate just scores from edge of box with pretty much 20 players in there. Amazing what can happen if you can get a shot on target. That was harder than about 10 of our chances yesterday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Holgate just scores from edge of box with pretty much 20 players in there. Amazing what can happen if you can get a shot on target. That was harder than about 10 of our chances yesterday.

You're most definitely watching the wrong sport.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Doesn't really alter the fact that a simple tactic to not lose v Brighton is:-

Let them have the ball.
Defend.
Don't worry about the shots.

We should have been able to clearly hear the Norwich players shouting:-

'All day long"

After each attack.

You certainly would have done if I was playing for them!
Granted if I was playing even the Albion would have won.

In a football sense, Covid was just in Brighton, Burnley and Southampton (and Wolverhampton arguably). On the rest of the clubs it appears to have had very limited impact on transfer dealings.

So of all the rich men owning PL clubs, just those 4 were affected by Covid and not the rest? That just doesn't really add up unless you have some kind of analysis explaining that? What affects clubs' spending are multiple factors individual to those clubs, what their ambitions are, where they are in a phase of development of a plan, whether they've just been promoted and need a quick catch-up, whether they've appointed a new manager with certain demands etc etc. Our lack of spending has correlated with Covid, just as the rooster crowing every morning correlates with the rise of the sun

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If we don’t win again this season, which is possible, should Potter be sacked ?

I’m starting to worry to be honest.

I just don’t know, what the answer should be or to be honest how I feel, I’m still numb after getting back.
Norwich we’re clearly the worst team we have played, is it Maupay & Wellbeck is it the Midfield, is it Potter….

I really am disappointed with it all.

I’m not really sure you can blame the manager when you have 30+ shots and miss a penalty, yet still fail to score...

If we weren’t creating then you could say there was possibly something wrong with the tactics, as it is it looks like the problem lays more with the players inability to hit a cows arse with a banjo!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I appreciate my stance will be coming across as anti Potter, but I promise you I’m not. In all honesty I’m probably conflicted with my emotions at the moment. I think Potter is a very good manager, and if you gave him Villa’s squad for example, he’d be absolutely flying. The club’s reluctance to back him with key weapons is a frustration. Personally I don’t care which division we play in, I’ve seen it all, so I’m not going to stand here and demand the club drop an eye watering amount of money on a player, BUT, I feel Potter’s work is being hindered by it greatly and it feels a shame as we’re so close to achieving someone very special.

I don’t think of you as anti Potter and I get why you are disillusioned, it has been a complete car crash since the heady days of the first half against United, but without serious investment in a striker which won’t happen, or a punt turning into Salah or Vardy, I know our place. I enjoy how we try and play and although it often fails to deliver I still enjoy watching but accept that anything outside the bottom three is all I can expect.

I dare to dream when we go on a good run but am philosophical when it turns into a shit one

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m not really sure you can blame the manager when you have 30+ shots and miss a penalty, yet still fail to score...

If we weren’t creating then you could say there was possibly something wrong with the tactics, as it is it looks like the problem lays more with the players inability to hit a cows arse with a banjo!

It just isn't that clear cut.

The chances created were predominantly half chances and speculative digs from 20 yards.

Hoping Veltman or Lamptey can fire one in from distance does rather point to a failing in tactics (and banjoitis).

As much as GPott doesn't carry all the blame, he doesn't get off scot free either.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It just isn't that clear cut.

The chances created were predominantly half chances and speculative digs from 20 yards.

Hoping Veltman or Lamptey can fire one in from distance does rather point to a failing in tactics (and banjoitis).

As much as GPott doesn't carry all the blame, he doesn't get off scot free either.

He doesn’t because with our scoring he needs to engineer tactics that deliver no defenders present, the keeper on the floor and a tap-in from 4 yards. It is his failure for not setting that up. :D

They had absolutely nothing about them, a deserved relegation.

Smith’s tactics were laughable - I said this mid first half … timewasting :lolol:. WTF

Later bringing on the cliche of a pace merchant to rob a win. During his spell on the pitch, 9/10 times Norwich passed to us.

But the extra comical thing is it almost worked? Their striker near the end messed up a straightfoward volley that one yard either side of Sanchez would have been Goodnight Irene

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here