Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Form that often gets a manager the sack

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Which is a poor explanation. Everyone has known for 10 years how Burnley play football and it doesnt prevent them from meeting or exceeding expectations every season.

Big difference between playing Burnley twice a year and playing Brighton. We’re easy to prepare for in as much we play the same football as many other teams, it’s all possession based, patterns of play and playing through the counter. Preparing for us is meat and drink for a PL manager as they won’t be working on anything new or special or different, whatever we offer they’ve seen multiple times before from Liverpool, Arsenal, Southampton, Leicester, Palace etc. Burnley are a completely different proposition, it’s an old school physical style that PL players do not face week in week out, they take you out of your comfort zone.

There is a fair chance GP gets sacked (or walks as there's easily a world where you can get burned out from managing this rollercoaster of a team) at the end of the season but I think his chances of keeping the job is better than it was for CH, for a variety of reasons, the main one being that Covid seriously ****ed up the squad building.

Covid wasn’t just in Sussex.

When on average clubs have a transfer deficit of around £50m per year (in the last two seasons) while Brighton over the last two years is very close to £0, just staying up is a pretty decent achievement. This can be compared with the -£120m in CHs two seasons and the -£53m in GPs first season.

Going close to £0 in transfer deficit over two seasons without losing ground in the PL is remarkable and I think TB is well aware.

Hughton needed to spend big money to have a squad capable of surviving in the Premier League. Potter inherited a team that was already littered with established PL players, he wasn’t trying to survive whilst using Jamie Murphy, Tomer Hemed and Gaetan Bong.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s the sheer boredom right now. I know GP has to trot out the same boring interview for the media each time, but he needs to understand he is also talking to fans who haven’t seen a goal at the Amex since 18 January.

Anyone who missed the Brentford Boxing Day game has not seen a home victory since 19 Sept. It is just woeful, and the prettendance figures are now laughable. This game ‘sold out’ but there were gaps all over the stadium. People have better things to do than watch this fare. And that could be what stirs Tony into action.

Paul Barber is not bothered if die hard fans choose to go and see Lewes, Worthing or Littlehampton, as he can always fill seats with lovely families on their ‘day out’, but when even they stop coming because it’s dull, then there’s a risk to long term revenue.

And it is dull at the moment. The atmosphere is dying on its arse. People are being marshaled into this story that it’s great football and we just need to wait for things to change. The spirit and self-expression in the stands that once rose up to save this club has been nullified and is a distant memory. Potter is just the personification, in interviews at least, of the mind numbing corporate face of the Albion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d love you to be right, I’m bored too and agree with your comments about corporate Albion. However Tony will back PB and GP every time, and since the day to day is their domain it seems we will have to be content with what we’re served - which your post summarises beautifully.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Given the circumstances I thought the crowd got behind the team. It wasn’t raucous, but it wasn’t a poor atmosphere either. Maupay got an ovation, very little booing at the end (I didn’t hear any but have been told there was some). It is far from toxic. Seemed to me that the majority could see the effort but frustrated and disappointed with the outcome. Many many grounds Maupay would have been boo’d and the team boo’d at the end. That didn’t happen.

Personally, I don’t think he got an ovation. He got a dutiful subdued song. A sort of half hearted and half arsed recognition of the few goals he has delivered. The crowd are so bored and used to this, even they can’t be bothered to boo.

You know that I’ve been watching my team for a long tim (since 1977), and that I’ll always be an Albion fan, but I am bored. I actually laughed myself silly when Maupay missed the penalty, because the only two people in the stadium who thought he would score were Neal and Potter.

Maupay didn’t get booed when he was subbed because we all knew he shouldn’t have been asked to take the penalty anyway.

It’s all just so depressingly familiar at the moment.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Sat 21 Aug Watford 2 - 0 Duffy, Maupay
Sat 28 Aug Everton 0 - 2
Sun 19 Sep Leicester City 2 - 1 Maupay (pen), Welbeck
Sat 2 Oct Arsenal 0 - 0
Sat 23 Oct Manchester City 1 - 4 Mac Allister (pen)
Sat 6 Nov Newcastle United 1 - 1 Trossard (pen)
Sat 27 Nov Leeds United 0 - 0
Wed 15 Dec Wolves 0 - 1
Sun 26 Dec Brentford 2 - 0 Trossard, Maupay
Fri 14 Jan Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Andersen (og)
Tue 18 Jan Chelsea 1 - 1 Webster
Sat 19 Feb Burnley 0 - 3
Sat 26 Feb Aston Villa 0 - 2
Sat 12 Mar Liverpool 0 - 2
Wed 16 Mar Tottenham 0 - 2
Sat 2 Apr Norwich City 0 - 0

16 matches, 3 wins, 6 draws, 7 losses,10 goals for and 20 against, 9 matches where we failed to score... thin gruel for home supporters.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am watching the the MOTD highlights, how the feck didn’t we win that game? Plenty of bad shots but also plenty of blocks from Norwich with the bounces favouring them too.

We have run out of luck, end of

Regardless of the naysayers bleating, I am totally confused why GP is getting the blame from so many on here, we created so many chances. What more is he supposed to do from the touchline?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Personally, I don’t think he got an ovation. He got a dutiful subdued song. A sort of half hearted and half arsed recognition of the few goals he has delivered. The crowd are so bored and used to this, even they can’t be bothered to boo.

You know that I’ve been watching my team for a long tim (since 1977), and that I’ll always be an Albion fan, but I am bored. I actually laughed myself silly when Maupay missed the penalty, because the only two people in the stadium who thought he would score were Neal and Potter.

Maupay didn’t get booed when he was subbed because we all knew he shouldn’t have been asked to take the penalty anyway.

I posted a while back as a football club we’re not used to sustaining ourselves in 1 league for long. We’ve now gone something like 16 years without a relegation, one of our longest periods. From ‘77 to ‘09 how many relegations did you see? Fights for actual survival of existence. And now what will be 6 consecutive seasons in the top flight, amazing stadium, sold out every game, financial stability. I can see the boring part of it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Big difference between playing Burnley twice a year and playing Brighton. We’re easy to prepare for in as much we play the same football as many other teams, it’s all possession based, patterns of play and playing through the counter. Preparing for us is meat and drink for a PL manager as they won’t be working on anything new or special or different, whatever we offer they’ve seen multiple times before from Liverpool, Arsenal, Southampton, Leicester, Palace etc. Burnley are a completely different proposition, it’s an old school physical style that PL players do not face week in week out, they take you out of your comfort zone.

Covid wasn’t just in Sussex.

Hughton needed to spend big money to have a squad capable of surviving in the Premier League. Potter inherited a team that was already littered with established PL players, he wasn’t trying to survive whilst using Jamie Murphy, Tomer Hemed and Gaetan Bong.

In a football sense, Covid was just in Brighton, Burnley and Southampton (and Wolverhampton arguably). On the rest of the clubs it appears to have had very limited impact on transfer dealings.

It is true that Hughton had to spend to have a PL squad. It is as true as every club in the Premier League neeeding to invest more than they earn in order to improve their league position.

I’d love you to be right, I’m bored too and agree with your comments about corporate Albion. However Tony will back PB and GP every time, and since the day to day is their domain it seems we will have to be content with what we’re served - which your post summarises beautifully.

As long as Brighton play in the Premier League it will be run as a corporation, or relegation to lower divisions is inevitable. You cant have the cake and eat it too.

Indeed if you want the club to be in the Premier League, you're going to have to be content with constantly fighting against relegation in most seasons. Both of these things are the consequence of having your once local burger joint placed between a McDonalds and a Burger King.

Just like 50% or so of the fans of PL clubs, you would have a lot more fun in the Championship or League One as it would allow you to dream about being "bored to death" in the PL while watching the team win on a much more regular basis.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It sold out and many of the ticket exchange tickets sold out.

Southampton is close to selling out and the ticket exchange will likely open again.

There’s always been gaps when ST holders can’t make it. These gaps were often filled by ST holders handing their cards to friends & family - that’s more difficult now.

So not sure this whole fans being turned away is a false narrative. ST retentions in a cost of living crisis, pandemic, still above 90%. I don’t see how you can back your narrative up?

You just need to look at some low lights on TV and see the big gaps.

I've given up offering BHA days out to my family, none of them want to go.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You just need to look at some low lights on TV and see the big gaps.

I've given up offering BHA days out to my family, none of them want to go.

I was very surprised by just how many empty seats there were in the WSL and around the periphery of the North Stand.
(I assume the same applies to the ESL)

For a game that was "sold out" there was considerably less than 30k in attendance.

That's what'll be GPotts downfall - not what happens on the pitch.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

There is a rumour that some changed the words to the Maupay song from 'how' to 'when'. I'm sorry to say that I did. And I also laughed at the penalty. Felt sorry for Neal as he trudged off, though. A bit.

Never mind. It's another lovely day.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
In response to the OP form doesn’t get managers sacked, players do.
The BOARD decided it was an acceptable strategy to go into the 2nd half of this season with TWO senior strikers at the club. One of which is injury prone and the other consistently inconsistent. I can’t believe Potter would have been happy with this.
Throw in injuries to key players (Webster, Lallana) and a serious issue with our best player (Bissouma) and this is the outcome.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There is a rumour that some changed the words to the Maupay song from 'how' to 'when'. I'm sorry to say that I did. And I also laughed at the penalty. Felt sorry for Neal as he trudged off, though. A bit.

Never mind. It's another lovely day.

I've just loaded the car for my weekly treat 'run to the tip'

I have greenery, cardboard boxes, general rubbish and a dead rat from the garden

Living the dream.

Might listen to GOldstone rap on the way . .oops, wrong thread :rolleyes:

el punal

Last 7 matches
P7 W0 D1 L6, 1 point from 21, goals scored 1 conceded 13 - that form often gets a manager the sack. I'm not saying it should but GP is a lucky guy.

Is it possible BHA won't score again at home this season?
Is it possible BHA won't win again at home this season?

Anything’s possible. It’s somewhat narrow minded to concentrate on one bad run of form rather than the overall view of the season. Remember we are still 13th in the table and within 3/4 points of being in 9th place. It is very doubtful, even with our woeful current form, that we’ll be sucked into a relegation scrap. The important thing is to finish the season on a high so as to maintain momentum for next term.

I am sure the club, Graham Potter, the players, the fans and anyone else in the world know what our problem is. Whisper it quietly - it’s getting the ball in the back of the sodding net. It’s a confidence thing, sort that out and we’ll be on our way to better times.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I was looking forward to yesterday's game, but an infection in a surgical wound meant that I couldn't go. I have missed the last five home games now - Burnley, Villa, Liverpool, Spurs and Norwich. Thankfully my tickets have sold on the exchange for all except the Burnley game.

I will be abroad for the Southampton game.

In a normal season, missing this many games would be really upsetting, but this year it has been an enormous relief. The boredom that [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] describes is tangible. I expected a 0-0 draw yesterday, and this is what we got. I no longer feel frustrated, and the passion is hard to summon up.

For a variety of reasons I cancelled my ST for next season, expecting to buy tickets match by match when I was available to attend. If it carries on like this, I can't see myself bothering that much.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I was very surprised by just how many empty seats there were in the WSL and around the periphery of the North Stand.
(I assume the same applies to the ESL)

For a game that was "sold out" there was considerably less than 30k in attendance.

That's what'll be GPotts downfall - not what happens on the pitch.

Nonsense. Given how small a proportion of revenue gate receipts are for premier League teams it's very unlikely that crowd number will decide a coach's future. Results yes.

I've been a fan since 1970 but it seems many on here were happier with the excitement of fighting for our existence or against relegation in the lower leagues. Well that's not me. Yes we are in a difficult position for now. but that's football sometimes. Without a country or mega corporation to bankroll us we can't pay the huge fees or wages to get the stars in.

There also seems to be a lot of sneering at new "family" fans as if somehow the "diehards" (like me) are of more value than a more recent fan. Personally I value every fan.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
They will not sack him, it’s almost a war of attrition now as TB and PB cannot be in a position where it will look like they apparently got it so wrong for so long.

The only way, almost Hypiaesque, is GP resigning at some point.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I expect at 90% of clubs GP would have been sacked. I think he has done great things for the team and style of play. Team may have out performed its actual ability so fair play to him. But it is easy to play against us, let us play at the back keep it solid in the middle and we won’t score. We have no ‘sparkle’ player, no pace (Lamptey ain’t the same as he was), no player willing to run at opposition (until Sarmiento came on). Gamble on injury prone stars (Lallana and Welbeck hasn’t really paid off).

I felt the two week gap might have seen something new but it was so Brighton yesterday - total domination, lots of shots off target etc.

Next 3 games are probably defeats (so that’s 10 without a win). so let’s hope we see more of next seasons first xi starting to play (Mwepu, Sarmiento, Ferguson, even Roberts and Caicedio)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Anything’s possible. It’s somewhat narrow minded to concentrate on one bad run of form rather than the overall view of the season. Remember we are still 13th in the table and within 3/4 points of being in 9th place. It is very doubtful, even with our woeful current form, that we’ll be sucked into a relegation scrap. The important thing is to finish the season on a high so as to maintain momentum for next term.

I am sure the club, Graham Potter, the players, the fans and anyone else in the world know what our problem is. Whisper it quietly - it’s getting the ball in the back of the sodding net. It’s a confidence thing, sort that out and we’ll be on our way to better times.

But this current run is our 2nd dreadful spell of form this season. Remember, we beat Leicester on the 19th of September, our next league win didn’t come until Boxing Day. Over 3 months without a league win? Most managers get the sack for that.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I am watching the the MOTD highlights, how the feck didn’t we win that game? Plenty of bad shots but also plenty of blocks from Norwich with the bounces favouring them too.

We have run out of luck, end of

Regardless of the naysayers bleating, I am totally confused why GP is getting the blame from so many on here, we created so many chances. What more is he supposed to do from the touchline?

We had an enormous slice of luck yesterday with their defender losing his head and thinking he was playing basketball. We still couldn't capitalise on it....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We had an enormous slice of luck yesterday with their defender losing his head and thinking he was playing basketball. We still couldn't capitalise on it....

And a further slice of luck when they were clear through and showed all the prowess of well...

...us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here