Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Forget air fryers, who is into bbq/smoking?

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I’ve been a bit obsessed with watching people bbq meat and got a second hand Weber kettle in the summer (this year can you believe!), so far I’ve smoked ribs, pork belly and let the kids roast marshmallows.

Low and slow baby, low and slow!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I did a Weber BBQ cooking course this summer at Meat in Stoke Newington. Bit of a trek but we got to prep and cook pizza, roast pork, beer can chicken, baked spuds, corn on the cob and a sage risotto all on the bbq. You get a glass of fizz on arrival and can then buy craft beers from the fridge at any time. Highly recommended for people just starting out with a Weber (shows you how much to load the chimney and how it affects temperature, as well as direct / indirect cooking) and well worth 100 mins on the train.

I should be getting a kettle next summer - this summer we've been mostly putting the garden back together after the puppy destroyed the old one. Let's bounce this around April and start sharing some tips!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Way back when, BBQ Shack at World's End pub used to do some good smoked meat. If you're ever in London, check out Blacklock Soho. That'll encourage you to get into smoking your own.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I did a Weber BBQ cooking course this summer at Meat in Stoke Newington. Bit of a trek but we got to prep and cook pizza, roast pork, beer can chicken, baked spuds, corn on the cob and a sage risotto all on the bbq. You get a glass of fizz on arrival and can then buy craft beers from the fridge at any time. Highly recommended for people just starting out with a Weber (shows you how much to load the chimney and how it affects temperature, as well as direct / indirect cooking) and well worth 100 mins on the train.

I should be getting a kettle next summer - this summer we've been mostly putting the garden back together after the puppy destroyed the old one. Let's bounce this around April and start sharing some tips!
Oh nice! I’m quite tempted to do a course

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
My day job is a chef but when I'm not working I love pissing about with brining and bbqing various joints of meat. There is definitely something primal about cooking food in this way. I do bloody miss the BBQ shack though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’m an enthusiast, have been for years. Did a Texas Masterclass some years ago in London and not looked back. Love low n slow, mostly using a ceramic egg, but also a Weber kettle and a masterbuilt electric smoker. Got a few others, a Cypriot souvlaki bbq and a Turkish tokat mangali oven amongst them.

Use them all year round, can’t beat Xmas turkey in the egg.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
It is possible to both use both air fryer and a bbq - just saying.

Long term bbq enthusiast here. Weber only as just don't have the cash to go further. Have done most meats in my time, now enjoying doing stews/casseroles under the lid as we move into colder weather.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1685387068648.jpg
    FB_IMG_1685387068648.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 46

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Another vote for the Weber courses. Really good fun. Learn a lot and make you a lot braver in what you try.
Exactly right, before I did the London BBQ School course I didn’t really have the confidence to stick a 3kg lump of meat in a fire and leave it for 8 hours, especially when you consider the cost. Now I’ll leave mine smoking all night long full of the butchers finest n

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Any other Kamado Joe brothers and sisters on here?

I ripped my kitchen out last weekend, three months before the replacement will be ready, and intend to get by on the KJ and the ninja airfryer for the foreseeable..

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023

I ripped my kitchen out last weekend, three months before the replacement will be ready, and intend to get by on the KJ and the ninja airfryer for the foreseeable..
Bit pricey for me

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

Used them at the London BBQ School course that I did, superb to use, sadly my budget didn’t extend to a KJ so I went for the AK Kamado, I pretty much use it for 90% of my cooking now, I love it. I think when/if it dies I’ll bite the bullet and go for a KJ. Just love the whole Kamado cooking experience, I’ve tried most things on it including full roasts, overnight smokes and the best ever Cote du Boeufs.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here