Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest will be paid HALF A BILLION POUNDS for renaming their ground

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I don't think it will fool anyone to be honest. Forest taken over by rich Kuwaiti family followed by another apparently rich Kuwaiti shelling out £500m to rename the stadium!! To suggest there is no connection or one won't be found is foolish I would suggest.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
money paid in by way of sponsorship is not like an owner putting money into a club by way of a loan. Once it has been spent the owner has no further claim for repayment.
Regardless of whether it's a loan or not, the owner can really do whatever they like. They could sell any assets they wanted to, and take the cash.

No. - Why? If the Kuwaiti government is willing to pay that much for the name then it must be worth it to them - maybe we should be looking for more from Amex.
I think you're trying to cause an argument for the sake of it. Treating the Kuwaiti government as separate from Forest, of course it's not worth it for them. The only 'value' they get in the deal, is Forest having money, and that's not what people mean when they talk about value.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Presumably they'd just announce it to be a 500 year contract for the naming rights, making the price eminently reasonable...

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
So it is going to be called The Kuwait City Stadium..........

Will they ban alcohol sales cos Kuwait is a dry state. That will go down well with the fans

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
They can have all the money in the world but all the time Stuart Pearce is manager, we've got nothing to worry about.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
I am starting to think that we may have been better off bumbling around between the third and fourth tiers. I don't remember all this angst about players and being in the playoffs every season whilst feeling hard done by that other clubs had more money than us. We were just grateful to have a team to watch on a Saturday, there is something to be said for keeping it simple.
Agreed, but unfortunately we now have something called "expectations" and all the baggage which come with it 👍😂😊

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
How anyone can be in favour of this is beyond me. I thought the whole point of FFP was to create a more even playing field, stop clubs spending beyond their means and calm ridiculous wage bills.

Forest now have a huge advantage over other teams in the same division despite the fact their normal revenue steams are the same as clubs like ourselves makes a complete mockery of the system.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
How anyone can be in favour of this is beyond me. I thought the whole point of FFP was to create a more even playing field, stop clubs spending beyond their means and calm ridiculous wage bills.

Forest now have a huge advantage over other teams in the same division despite the fact their normal revenue steams are the same as clubs like ourselves makes a complete mockery of the system.

It's been done to death but anyone who has "lifted the lid" on FFP can see that it doesn't create a level playing field it simply limits all clubs to the same simplistic level of loss. On top of that with up to half the clubs in the division having an £80M (?) head start there's no way any kind of level playing field exists.

The notion of creating fair competition where all participants have the freedom to act as they see fit but with a governance apparatus around it to ensure financial "sustainability" is admirable ........ FFP (in its current guise) fails spectacularly to do that

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
rich owners their governments or fans keeping young men in luxury
for fulfilling many peoples childhood dream of playing professional football.
We live in an irrational world.

D

Deleted member 22389

Getting a bit sick of this. We are not going anywhere when we have rich foreign billionaires throwing this sort of money around. Honeslty I hope one day football crashes and burns and gets back to some normality. These people are pricing real supporters out. Go and invest in your own countries clubs. I forgot they don't have any.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Depends on the division/competition you are looking at.

True and it's not THE key anyway thinking on it. That is to restrict debt.

What is true is that Financial Fair Play is one of the biggest misnomers since "DFS Sale".

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
True and it's not THE key anyway thinking on it. That is to restrict debt.

What is true is that Financial Fair Play is one of the biggest misnomers since "DFS Sale".

Deals such as the one with Forest can reduce debt and certainly won't increase it. There is nothing to stop the income being used to repay existing debt and at the very least reduces the size of any additional loan.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
If a billionaire with no heirs decides to leave his entire wealth to a Championship football team when he dies, would the team be allowed to accept the money under FFP?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
It wouldn't appear on the FFP P&L as it would be a gift.

The geezer who owns Forest is a zillionaire.

If he wants to spend his money on building his team into th next European superpower, I don't see what's wrong with it.

As long as the money isn't a loan which could jeopardise the long term future of the club.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Deals such as the one with Forest can reduce debt and certainly won't increase it. There is nothing to stop the income being used to repay existing debt and at the very least reduces the size of any additional loan.

Deals of that type - sponsorship and naming rights - are indeed a great way to pay down debt. Getting a disproportionate amount for it, as in this case, will simply increase the expenses part of every other club's business plan as agents tell their players what their equivalent at Forest is earning.

Let's not even start with what an obscene amount of money £500 million is and how much good it could for communities in this country or in war torn areas of the world instead of being used to rename a stadium in Nottingham so some people in the Middle East win a willy waving contest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here