Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest spending getting silly now

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
You can't say that Boro and Bournemouth are more adept without knowing what they are paying players. Bloom went on record to say that the reason we didn't get Grabban is Bournemouth offered wages far in excess of what we were able to.

My point exactly. How are BOURNEMOUTH able to offer more wages than us.

We are a bigger club, bigger revenue streams, I could go on

I'm sorry but I fail to understand how Bournemouth can afford players we can't. The only conclusion I can draw from this is we are being over cautious

nffc1976

Mar 19, 2013
in the owners defence we (NFFC) have got the following off the wage bill, during the close season. and made, from outgoing sales, the value of about 8million

Henderson, Moussi, Jara, Greening, Miller, Derbyshire, Gillett, Cox*, Mackie*, Djebbour, Abdoun*, Majewski, Tudgay + Darlow and Lascelles
*almost out the door

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Thought our policy for the last three windows has been reasonable, up to £10 million for Ulloa, £3.95 million for Bridcutt and £750k for Barnes is excellent business. The incoming signings of Upson, Ward, Stephens, Ince cost us less than a million last season, and took us to the playoffs.

As for Boro and Bournemouth, they both finished below us last season, and the one before.

As did Forest.

I think that what has been slightly overlooked from the Fans Forum were the references made to playing the long game. Burke said last year that FFP was starting to have an effect on wage demands. If I was a football agent I would now be trying to combat this by feeding championship clubs the line that larger parachute payments make it imperative to invest to compete and that it was worth paying for quality if it gets you out of the division. However, this may be the last window during which clubs can continue to ignore the fact that this approach is unsustainable. The truth is that there is a finite number of players good enough to play in the championship, but not wanted by Premiership sides. Players like McCormack, Le Fondre and Rhodes obviously don't guarantee promotion. If they were that good they wouldn't be playing in the Championship.

The thing that impressed me most about Tony Bloom's comments were that, were we to go up, he saw relegation from the top league as eventually inevitable. This should be the premise upon which virtually all teams in the top divisions should base their business models. Championship football clubs need to move towards turning a profit without the need for promotion. If Bloom's long game is successful and Brighton do go up to the Premier League in the next few years, they will do so in a way that will be more sustainable and this means that the future would not be put in jeopardy by relegation. During a time of increasing inequality I would be far happier if my club was a leader in bringing sanity and financial morality back into English football than I would be if it got lucky in the play off lottery and spent a year or two paying obscene amounts to try to avoid coming back to a division which, year on year, actually provides more entertainment than the Premier.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
The 'fundamental problem' is the 'fundamental' losses of countless millions in recent years. Which part of that are you struggling with?

Supposing we go with your plan of spunking even more money we don't have in the hope we get promoted-what happens if we don't? You haven't really thought your plan through have you?

Are you retarded?

Let me say it again. At no point have I said be wreckless, frivolous or damn right irresponsible.

Calculated risks.

Prime example. Glenn Murray. Club refused to budge on the contract offer. Player left said club on a free transfer. 9 months later we finished just two points off a place in the promised land. Said player reached said promised land having bagged 30 goals for our arch rivals. Conclusion: this calculated risk would have almost certainly resulted in premier league football and far exceeded the additional outlay in wages

Calculated risks

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I'm sorry but I fail to understand how Bournemouth can afford players we can't. The only conclusion I can draw from this is we are being over cautious

How about another conclusion - namely, that we haven't got the money? As others have pointed out, it's frustrating that some clubs have sugar daddies who find ways around FFP. Our sugar daddie elected to put his money into the club's infrastructure, and has set us up nicely for the next 50 years. He also wants to run the club on a sound financial footing, rather than pi$$ing millions away paying massively inflated wages. I guess if you don't like that approach you can always go and watch someone else…..

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Which part of losses of £14,000,000 are you struggling with? It has eff all to do with being cautious.

Did you not listen to Paul Barber explaining at the forum how ALL of the Albion's income streams, ticket sales, sponsors money on 3 massive levels and merchandise sales do not equal Fulham's, Cardiff's and Norwich's payoffs for failing to stay up in the PL?

Are you simply being a WUM or are you just plain stupid?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008

Completely this. I cannot stand the people who call others bed wetters for voicing concerns for poor transfer windows.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are you retarded?

Let me say it again. At no point have I said be wreckless, frivolous or damn right irresponsible.

Calculated risks.

Prime example. Glenn Murray. Club refused to budge on the contract offer. Player left said club on a free transfer. 9 months later we finished just two points off a place in the promised land. Said player reached said promised land having bagged 30 goals for our arch rivals. Conclusion: this calculated risk would have almost certainly resulted in premier league football and far exceeded the additional outlay in wages

Calculated risks

No he didn't. Nine months later we finished 10th and Palace finished 16th.

Murray scored six goals in 38 appearances.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Are you retarded?

Calculated risks.

Calculated risks

Retarded. Very good. Now I have to re-evaluate your age down to 13.

Please try and engage that dormant organ keeping your ears apart before posting-you'll look far less stupid.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

We had a last recorded wage bill of £21 million and Bournemouth £11 million.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
As soon as the football league start any action with the clubs that are breaking FFP rules, said clubs will just stick 2 fingers up to the FL and and the spinless football league will back down .

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
in the owners defence we (NFFC) have got the following off the wage bill, during the close season. and made, from outgoing sales, the value of about 8million

Henderson, Moussi, Jara, Greening, Miller, Derbyshire, Gillett, Cox*, Mackie*, Djebbour, Abdoun*, Majewski, Tudgay + Darlow and Lascelles
*almost out the door

Defence :lolol: That's a good one

Then spent

Michael Mancienne 1.5 million
Britt Assombalonga 5 million and rising
Antonio 2 million
David Vaughan undisclosed
Lars Veldwijk undisclosed.

Plus others like Fryatt and Burke who won't be cheap. All this and you lost 17 million last year.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
As soon as the football league start any action with the clubs that are breaking FFP rules, said clubs will just stick 2 fingers up to the FL and and the spinless football league will back down .

Depends on the teams I think. Teams that were relegated from the PL will start action, but when clubs that were already in the FL when the rules were agreed, I cant see the FL backing down to them. With PL relegated teams, I cant see the FL putting up much fight with them, especially if they werent in the FL when the rules were passed.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Defence :lolol: That's a good one

Then spent

Michael Mancienne 1.5 million
Britt Assombalonga 5 million and rising
Antonio 2 million
David Vaughan undisclosed
Lars Veldwijk undisclosed.

Plus others like Fryatt and Burke who won't be cheap. All this and you lost 17 million last year.

Looks like 8 million in and 8.5 million out to me, and they still might sell Lansbury.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
What would the club have to do before some people even dare think about criticising them?

There are so many people on here that will excuse anything because the club says it should be like that.

I accept that we cannot just spend millions on wages and waste everything we have but if some on here can't open their eyes and face reality sometimes.....

26k+ attendances
Record commercial hook ups
Record shirt manufacturer deal
Record shirt sponsorship deal
Ground naming rights
Training ground training rights
£12m in outgoing transfers

And we have signed....

I'm all for being pro Bloom but some on here would agree with anything that comes from the club without any question!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Depends on the teams I think. Teams that were relegated from the PL will start action, but when clubs that were already in the FL when the rules were agreed, I cant see the FL backing down to them. With PL relegated teams, I cant see the FL putting up much fight with them, especially if they werent in the FL when the rules were passed.

I suspect that relegated clubs, by default, accept the rules of the league they find themselves in. If they don't like the FL rules I'm sure the Conference will take them. There is no way the FL can have two sets of rules-one for existing FL clubs and a modified set of rules for relegated clubs.

As Mustafa said on another thread, football is f**cked financially.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What would the club have to do before some people even dare think about criticising them?

There are so many people on here that will excuse anything because the club says it should be like that.

I accept that we cannot just spend millions on wages and waste everything we have but if some on here can't open their eyes and face reality sometimes.....

26k+ attendances
Record commercial hook ups
Record shirt manufacturer deal
Record shirt sponsorship deal
Ground naming rights
Training ground training rights
£12m in outgoing transfers

And we have signed....

I'm all for being pro Bloom but some on here would agree with anything that comes from the club without any question!

Did you listen to the fan's forum? Especially the part comparing The Albion's income from ALL revenue streams to the likes of Fulham whose gates are significantly lower than ours? Fulham paid £10Million for ONE player. That kind of imbalance guarantees that players' wage demands from the likes of us are way beyond acceptable.

That is the reality some on here don't understand. And we haven't even factored in the last set of losses recorded by The Albion, partly accumulated 'chasing the dream' which worked fantastically well didn't it?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
No he didn't. Nine months later we finished 10th and Palace finished 16th.

Murray scored six goals in 38 appearances.
And the season after, we finished above them again. And Murray scored zero goals in the playoffs to go up in our place. People's rewriting of history is embarrassing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here