[Football] Forest Green - not happy are they...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you allowed to 'tap up'/speak to a manager that is under contract, without permission of the club they are currently contracted to?

I understood to players you can't, you would need the parent club's permission to speak to the player (as long as the contract has more than 6 months remaining)?

We did when Graham Potter was still manager of Swansea.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Are you allowed to 'tap up'/speak to a manager that is under contract, without permission of the club they are currently contracted to?

I understood to players you can't, you would need the parent club's permission to speak to the player (as long as the contract has more than 6 months remaining)?

Being reported he has a buy out in his contract and Watford will pay compensation to that level of buy out so not much needed

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I guess its a big step up for him - and no doubt a massive pay rise, but surely he could have waited for an offer from a club with a more sensible managerial appointment policy. I'm sure there would have been plenty of offers.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
shitty thing to do to Forest Green, not because they have taken their manager per se, managers jump ship all the time,(Potter from Swansea to us) but the way it was done. It appears to have come out of the blue for them. Brighton asked permission to speak to Potter and Swansea were fully aware of what was going on

This is bound to derail their planning for next season in League 1.

As others have said, Watford aren't known for giving managers time to settle in , and theres nothing to suggest that this time will be different.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Ironically, Watford kicked up a fuss when their manager was tapped up a few years back https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/watford...over-alleged-tapping-up-of-marco-silva-178664

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
If he makes it to the international break i'd be surprised,expect him gone by Oct his replacement gone by Xmas and a dinosor who loves hoofball to see out the season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
One poster on there "As if Watford are not hated enough at the moment."

Are they? I mean, sure, we all ridicule their managerial... not so much merry go round as spinning top, but are they actually hated?

No, I really don't think so.
My Watford neighbour is fed up with all the merry-go-round, the club is / has been going through.
But never self pity, of everyone hates us.
Only Luton maybe :lol:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
No, I really don't think so.
My Watford neighbour is fed up with all the merry-go-round, the club is / has been going through.
But never self pity, of everyone hates us.
Only Luton maybe :lol:

That's a coincidence. My neighbour is a Watford STH. And I live in Brighton, not Ruislip.

But you're right. There's no self pity, just resignation.

One interesting thing he says, is that throughout the merry-go-round, there is actually some continuity, as they only hire and fire the manager, not his team. They keep the backroom staff.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That's a coincidence. My neighbour is a Watford STH. And I live in Brighton, not Ruislip.

But you're right. There's no self pity, just resignation.

One interesting thing he says, is that throughout the merry-go-round, there is actually some continuity, as they only hire and fire the manager, not his team. They keep the backroom staff.

Maybe that's a good thing, but you imagine GP without a say in his backroom staff.
It'll be like moving into a new house with a ready made family already in situ'
Not for me personally at the Albion, you get a bad choice of manager / coach, say Hyypiä, who didn't do too well, he had to go and with his staff also, apart from Nathan Jones of course.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Apparently he's signed a 4 week contract.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
You've got to feel a little sorry for FGR. Fantastic season ending in promotion only for the manager to jump ship at the last minute. Feels very much like the football equivillent of being dumped just before you go on your honeymoon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports