[Football] Forest fan from Spain meets his heroes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
For years Mrs WS didn't get the power of football. Then once we got to the PL regularly conversation turned to football with random strangers abroad. Even a couple of weeks ago in Paris the waiter was a Marseille fan who we had a chat with and then a PSG supporter joined in from another table. It's a unifiying force worldwide. Maybe if religious nutjobs followed football rather than religion "the world could live as one".

Well done Forest.
Football IS religion.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Football IS religion.
Decades ago I wrote a dissertation on that subject.
In summary stadiums are churches, chants are hymns, fans go through the same rituals every week, football fashion is Sunday best, the match is the highlight of the week, fans donate money and time, fans ‘live’ by the code of their club, fans will follow their club through adversity and even fight for their club, I’m even convinced some fans would die for their club.
It basically is a religion. There is an argument that different religions should not ‘rival’ each other but I think in reality they do.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In summary stadiums are churches, chants are hymns, fans go through the same rituals every week, football fashion is Sunday best, the match is the highlight of the week, fans donate money and time, fans ‘live’ by the code of their club, fans will follow their club through adversity and even fight for their club, I’m even convinced some fans would die for their club.
It basically is a religion. There is an argument that different religions should not ‘rival’ each other but I think in reality they do.
Good stuff…. There is only one god, one true god and his name is RDZ .

a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
So I should be allowed matchdays off work as religious observance?

I like the cut of your gib.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Lovely. A few years ago I would have watched this without emotion, but as a father now I have to admit it got me a bit teary.

Also I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Forest. Can't think of any reasons to dislike them? I'm an 80's child and they were a big club back then. Always a bit of an underdog, but seem to remember watching an FA Cup as a child (in the days when it was on BBC1 all day) that featured Forest, and rooting for them. Also my first England memories are from Italia 90 and I'm pretty sure Clough, Jemson, Hodges and Pearce were all England/Forest?

And of course there is Brian Clough, always someone I've been fascinated with. When the Premier League started to become a powerhouse and the foreign influence took hold, Clough was there and struggling, both on the field and off it with alcohol addiction. Stood in the dugout in his green jumper, with football having moved on around him. But the club stood by him despite despite impending relegation. He'd earned the right not to be sacked.

Also a great pre-match in Hooters back in the early 2000's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports