Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For what it's worth .....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He was certainly chipping in to ensure that the electricity bills were being paid.

But he was biding his time, allowing Dick Knight to complete the Falmer planning process, before moving in to get the Club into the hands of the family.

Or put another way, Dick Knight wouldn't let him get control until he had no choice, because Dick Knight is a control freak. If the banks had come through for him, I suspect Tony Bloom would have had to have waited a little bit longer.

Bottom line Lord B is that Tony Bloom is a serious player with serious money and whilst Dick did a great job he is small fry and could never take the club to the level that Tony will.

Look - before anyone gets any more derisory about Dick Knight - he jumped to save the club taking the reins from the real enemies.
No-one else carries that distinction.

He had the Bloom family on his side, and thankfully otherwise the begging bowl may have needed to have been passed a few times.

MANY factors coincided to keep us in business, and maintain a decent playing profile (justabout). Push came to shove and we sol Zamora, we got money for Barry, we won a 'Coca Cola' player thanks to one fan, we got away with not spending much and surviving in a borrowed track ground. All very shoestring, but DK had the right to remain at the helm.

When the financial crunch came at the very wrong time, after a long rocky road to getting approved for Falmer - DK couldn't do anything about that and it was over for him apart from maybe staying at Withdean which would mean losing money.

Maybe he wanted some restitution from this slog, and perhaps with good reason to expect some reward after all he'd done - but the options had slewed down to none at that point.

No way is a big moneyspinning businessman going to just say "here's 100million, do what you need to do" put in the hand of a bloke who's skint with no options - why would anyone do that? All due respect to Dick, but none of us would do it, we might say "I'll take over from here" and do the honour of giving DK an honourary chair in the boardroom, and that's what TB has done.

In the long run, karma shows the best option for us and the club. No need to get sordid or accusatory, no need to curl lips at anyone but the A/S/B scummers. Credit Dick and Tony, and let's get on with the real reason to be here please; Football.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Look - before anyone gets any more derisory about Dick Knight - he jumped to save the club taking the reins from the real enemies.
No-one else carries that distinction.

He had the Bloom family on his side, and thankfully otherwise the begging bowl may have needed to have been passed a few times.

MANY factors coincided to keep us in business, and maintain a decent playing profile (justabout). Push came to shove and we sol Zamora, we got money for Barry, we won a 'Coca Cola' player thanks to one fan, we got away with not spending much and surviving in a borrowed track ground. All very shoestring, but DK had the right to remain at the helm.

When the financial crunch came at the very wrong time, after a long rocky road to getting approved for Falmer - DK couldn't do anything about that and it was over for him apart from maybe staying at Withdean which would mean losing money.

Maybe he wanted some restitution from this slog, and perhaps with good reason to expect some reward after all he'd done - but the options had slewed down to none at that point.

No way is a big moneyspinning businessman going to just say "here's 100million, do what you need to do" put in the hand of a bloke who's skint with no options - why would anyone do that? All due respect to Dick, but none of us would do it, we might say "I'll take over from here" and do the honour of giving DK an honourary chair in the boardroom, and that's what TB has done.

In the long run, karma shows the best option for us and the club. No need to get sordid or accusatory, no need to curl lips at anyone but the A/S/B scummers. Credit Dick and Tony, and let's get on with the real reason to be here please; Football.

Absolute top post, NMH.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
What always strikes me as odd in the Tony Bloom "What is he worth debate?", is why some of the money wasn't given when we surely needed it over the last 5-10 years?

1. When we were all but relegated when Russell Slade somehow dragged us kicking and screaming to safety on the last day?
2. When we could have staying in the Championship?
3. When Coppell was here and would have stayed with financial support?

Tony has been (like most of us) a lifelong fan. To the best of my knowledge he has been wealthy for a while. Surely he wouldn't have missed a million quid to buy 3-4 players and guarantee clean underwear for everyone a year or so ago.

I think TB is genuinely wealthy and a real BHAFC fan and sent from heaven (if you believe in such things) and we'll never know how wealthy (nor should we). All this speculation is fun and thank goodness he has a love for the club.
1. He was here for that, by that point he'd been bankrolling the club for a while. Pretty well known I thought?
2. He was here then too, that was the first time it became public knowledge about what say he had in running the club (disagreements with Knight over McGhee)
3. Dunno. :shrug:

The fact is he's been the clubs main financial backer for a good five years, if not longer, and we have spent in that time. If we had only spent within the means of the club at Withdean, we'd probably have been lucky to saty in the league. But he wasn't running the club, Dick Knight was. Only when things were going quite wrong on the playing side and he had to fund the stadium did he step up and become the main man.

As for why he didn't spend even more, it could be seen as throwing good money after bad all the while we were at Withdean. Now, it's a different story, and with the huge increase in the club's income he may not even be spending much more of his own money than he already was.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Narrowly missed out on promotion eh... can only be Robson-Kanu, Mcanuff, Gradel, or Snodgrass?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
hey guys,what about liam brady,wasnt hethe one that got dick knight involved in the first place

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Spoke to midlands based colleague today, who informed me that his nephew had been approached by the club. His nephew plays for a championship team that just missed out on promotion, I hadn't heard of him but a quick check indicates that he is a fast, attack minded winger who can play either side. He hasn't been mentioned on any thread that I can see and as he is training with his own club I would assume that nothing will come of it. However the point of this is that the player stated that Brighton have frightening amounts of cash, silly money .... According to his uncle he was shocked at the amount of money the club appear to have available.

:bounce: :thumbsup:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Yes, the player I was refering too is indeed Paul Anderson, I can now mention him by name as it is in the public domain.

Nice lad who will fit in very well, hasd the attitude that Gus likes, a tea player who likes ball to feet with loads of movement. Exciting times!!

Forest supporting colleague thinks he's mustard, and will be very sad to see him go!

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Yes, the player I was refering too is indeed Paul Anderson, I can now mention him by name as it is in the public domain.

Nice lad who will fit in very well, hasd the attitude that Gus likes, a tea player who likes ball to feet with loads of movement. Exciting times!!

Forest supporting colleague thinks he's mustard, and will be very sad to see him go!

I thought Gus always preferred a "coffee" player!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here