Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] For Those Of You Having A Moan . . .

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It’s football.

We get a 2-2 draw at Anfield and it feels like a win.

We get a 1-1 draw against Newcastle, it feels like a defeat.

They’re both worth 1 point, but there feels like a world of difference.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's literally nothing to moan about.

Everything is great and even when it's not you can have a right laugh with the people who take this shite far to seriously.

Win/win even when we draw.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good result and good performance away against a considerably stronger side.

versus

Poor result and poor performance at home against a considerably weaker side.

There couldn't be a clearer example of 1 point gained versus 2 points dropped.

Not sure that makes sense . . . Would rather have lost and won. In style obviously. We'd be a point better off . . . .draws don't cut it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
appreciate the sentiment here but we could be finishing in the champions league places every season and people would still complain about a bad performance. it's just what football fans do (and are entitled to do), and however bad we were x amount of years ago is never going to change that :shrug:

Yes… you have to be emotionally involved in it all otherwise it doesn’t really matter. So a disappointment like Saturday has to get you moaning a bit.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
If you got very upset about only drawing at home to Newcastle, I'm afraid you're suffering from "Arsenalfanitis". It is a horrible debillitating disease. You can see examples of people suffering with all the symptoms if you watch any Arsenal Fans TV on You Tube!

Don't know what you're on about, blud

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Disappointed, but philosophical.

Good answer.

A few years back I made a conscious decision to just try to enjoy the Matchday experience more. It’s worked I think. When I hear people mouthing off about a substitution, or a misplaced pass, or a mistimed header I wonder whether they can be enjoying what they’ve forked out good money for. I mean, as has been pointed out, these are the glory years.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If you got very upset about only drawing at home to Newcastle, I'm afraid you're suffering from "Arsenalfanitis". It is a horrible debillitating disease. You can see examples of people suffering with all the symptoms if you watch any Arsenal Fans TV on You Tube!

That is a shocking show, and a timely reminder it’s a slippery slope out there Albion fans now we’re in the big time.

Good point, well made JS!

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Watching the Albion is not entertainment. As a 3rd generation (both grandads and both parents going to the Goldstone and being driven around the country for away matches with my dad as a kid) fan, it's just a 'virus' that has affected my behaviour, in the same way as the religious toddle off to the mosque/church/temple etc, they don't really believe in any deity, just as I don't believe we'll win any trophy, they/I just do 'it' because there is no such thing as 'free will'.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Good answer.

A few years back I made a conscious decision to just try to enjoy the Matchday experience more. It’s worked I think. When I hear people mouthing off about a substitution, or a misplaced pass, or a mistimed header I wonder whether they can be enjoying what they’ve forked out good money for. I mean, as has been pointed out, these are the glory years.
I'm in this camp. I decided a while ago that every point in the PL is a good point and it's a philosophy I'd recommend.

That's not to say I wasn't disappointed and frustrated at times on Saturday.

But Newcastle paid us a huge amount of respect in parking the bus and better teams than us have struggled to overcome those tactics (from whoever) at times.

Take the point, move on.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
. . . . about the Albion performance on Saturday I’ll just remind you what a shitty week and a bit feels like watching our glorious team. In 1973 we had Brian Clough in charge, everyone thought he was the new Messiah and would lead us to the promised land. No such luck. In the space of ten days we lost to Walton and Hersham 4-0 in a FA Cup replay at the Goldstone, followed by the 8-2 drubbing by Bristol Rovers also at home. Our next game we travelled to Tranmere to be thumped 4-1.

The highs and lows of watching your team - conceding 16 goals in 3 games is definitely not a high, being 7th in the Premier League definitely is. :drink:

When you’ve got tooth ache, being reminded of world hunger still doesn’t make your toothache go away.

It was just disappointing. But sadly, not surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Disappointed? What? With a 1-1 draw with Newcastle in the Premier League? Does the name 'Leatherhead' mean nothing to you? (Other than a town in Surrey).
I was at the Goldstone when the "Leatherhead Lip" scored the only goal of the game to knock us out of the F.A.Cup that season.
How did I feel? Dissapointed, but philosophical.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Good answer.

100% agree with the above.

It's just a game, you have to stop and remember that once in a while.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Could you have gone further back than just 48 years. JCL.

And whatever, i’ll moan about whatever i choose to grandad

Yes, exactly. Because of the performance I was unquestionably disappointed at the final whistle on Saturday and have said so, but that does NOT make me a 'moaner'. Likewise if we lose 4-0 at home to Palace I'm not going to say "Well, never mind, we once lost 4-0 at home to Walton and Hersham, so mustn't grumble, eh?"

el punal

Yes, exactly. Because of the performance I was unquestionably disappointed at the final whistle on Saturday and have said so, but that does NOT make me a 'moaner'. Likewise if we lose 4-0 at home to Palace I'm not going to say "Well, never mind, we once lost 4-0 at home to Walton and Hersham, so mustn't grumble, eh?"

Certain games stick in the memory be they wins or defeats. For example our 2-0 victory against Palace in February 1976 in front of 33,000+ at the Goldstone. Lived off that one for days. On the other side of the coin I was absolutely seething for ages when we ‘lost’ 1-0 to Palace in that infamous cup replay at Stamford Bridge later on in the year.

As you have rightly stated most matches you gloat or moan for a few hours after the game then it’s back to normality of a sort.

Jul 25, 2021
Losing to 9 man Walsall (who were down to 9 men by half time), at home, at Withdean will always be the game I regard as the performance to never forget whenever I leave games after poor performances whilst having a tantrum, crying and screaming for the manager to get sacked all the way back to Brighton station. This memory always calms me down by the time I get home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here