Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the attention of Mr Barber

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I bet you were a great help whilst the clubs assets were being sold off by Archer.

Comparing Archer with Barber are you :facepalm:

when are you starting a march along Brighton seafront & the visit to 10 Downing Street

Or maybe you could take the Barber witch hunt to the Falmer village pond and if he floats he's a witch and if he sinks he's a witch

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
ha!

Just strikes me as weird that the REMF is being used as a reason to attack Barber when in reality, there's no change in their ability to fundraise or give time

I am not using the REMF to attack anyone. I am merely pointing out some of the good done over the years as a defence. The issue is not so much the axing of a group of dedicated ladies who did a lot for events outside of just dancing on the pitch, more the random decisions made without any input from the fans or opinions. That to me is dictatorship. I have to accept this is no longer a small club it is now a money making machine with the big bucks being the prime objective to reach the next level. I just don't want it to be the only objective. I guess when we get to the premiership it will be like a day out at Chelsea, sanitised, soulless, money orientated and that is the crux of my thread as I do not think we should just bin things from the past as this is what made us what we are now. I mean if that is the case lets just take down all the Albion Legends from the outside. Embrace the past, enjoy the future but not to become nothing more than a corporate, soulless, cash cow.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Genuine question, not trying to stir up a binfest, but If we were top of the league, 3 points clear (like Cardiff) would there still be the same level of animosity towards Mr Barber?

My own view is that he is a sought after man within football boardrooms and we are 'lucky' to have him. If we are to get into the Premier League and sustain several seasons there then the club needs to be run like a top level football club and not like the cake making competition at a village fete.

So you're not interested in the valid points put forward about how he's treating the fans then?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I am not using the REMF to attack anyone. I am merely pointing out some of the good done over the years as a defence. The issue is not so much the axing of a group of dedicated ladies who did a lot for events outside of just dancing on the pitch, more the random decisions made without any input from the fans or opinions. That to me is dictatorship. I have to accept this is no longer a small club it is now a money making machine with the big bucks being the prime objective to reach the next level. I just don't want it to be the only objective. I guess when we get to the premiership it will be like a day out at Chelsea, sanitised, soulless, money orientated and that is the crux of my thread as I do not think we should just bin things from the past as this is what made us what we are now. I mean if that is the case lets just take down all the Albion Legends from the outside. Embrace the past, enjoy the future but not to become nothing more than a corporate, soulless, cash cow.

TOP post :thumbsup:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Comparing Archer with Barber are you :facepalm:

when are you starting a march along Brighton seafront & the visit to 10 Downing Street

Or maybe you could take the Barber witch hunt to the Falmer village pond and if he floats he's a witch and if he sinks he's a witch

You seriously are not getting it are you. I've just read through this thread for the first time and you seem quite satisfied with the direction Mr Barber is taking us. That is your decision and you are welcome to it, I won't argue it, but from what I read you don't really get the point that Brighton fans will not put up with another CEO that treats supporters as a toy to play with. You carry on with your nonsensical posts matey.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

If you think a day out at the Amex is a corporate and soulless experience, then I pity you. I utterly refute that notion, in fact I would say it precisely the opposite. Given the comfort of the seats, the quality of the refreshments, the go in any stand you like after the game attitude, sky tv and match highlights, as well public transport information, it is very far from an unwelcoming environment for fans. Not too mention the fact we do actually have an atmosphere that seems to be a lot better than most.

Some people it seems will never be happy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Do you know for certain that Barber did axe Gully's Girls? I've asked this question several times in this thread and no one seems to know the answer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If you think a day out at the Amex is a corporate and soulless experience, then I pity you. I utterly refute that notion, in fact I would say it precisely the opposite. Given the comfort of the seats, the quality of the refreshments, the go in any stand you like after the game attitude, sky tv and match highlights, as well public transport information, it is very far from an unwelcoming environment for fans. Not too mention the fact we do actually have an atmosphere that seems to be a lot better than most.

Some people would rather FC Albion of Brighton playing at Withdean, with chips and dancing girls, and run by committee. :lolol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

All achieved without Mr Barber... your point?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

With respect, he didn't actually say that atall. He said IF we get to the pre he GUESSES it will be like that. I don't agree with either as such but there's a chance thje prem could point us more down that road. As you rightly say, we're a long way from that now and the Amex matchday is perfect :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am not using the REMF to attack anyone. I am merely pointing out some of the good done over the years as a defence. The issue is not so much the axing of a group of dedicated ladies who did a lot for events outside of just dancing on the pitch, more the random decisions made without any input from the fans or opinions. That to me is dictatorship.

So...

1. You don't actually know that GG have been axed (although I fully concede it appears as though that is the case).
2. You don't actually know which people will have been involved in any decision regarding them.
3. You don't actually know what fans, or fans representatives, will have been consulted.

I have to accept this is no longer a small club

Quite correct, although we probably never were. We've just been in hibernation for a bit.

it is now a money making machine with the big bucks being the prime objective to reach the next level. I just don't want it to be the only objective. I guess when we get to the premiership it will be like a day out at Chelsea, sanitised, soulless, money orientated and that is the crux of my thread as I do not think we should just bin things from the past as this is what made us what we are now. I mean if that is the case lets just take down all the Albion Legends from the outside. Embrace the past, enjoy the future but not to become nothing more than a corporate, soulless, cash cow.

I'm sure most would agree with that. However, I'm not sure why a Premier League game at the Amex would be much different from what we have now. And most of us love what we have now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fair do's if that's the case (I haven't taken much notice of WHO but the ticket prices are way too high for match by match imo). I don't think you'll find the prices just went up cos of the travel thing - they've risen by £4 in the cheapest section and the transport should only be £1 shouldn't it? If they've blamed the increase on the travel it's simply not true - the prices went drastically up overnight % terms. I'm lucky enough to have a ST and even if i didnt i would never ever need to buy from the club (supporters club / mates etc - always spares knocking about) but i feel for those who do have to buy from the club at these prices. The mascot / GG / Programme / Catering / Print a ticket / Lose ST card increases etc are the worry. I'm trying to think for others here and be unselfish btw and think of 'our' club as not all affect me atall...

The travel vouchers were £1.50 per game. My DD last season was £32.91 and this season is £35.41 for the North stand so there isn't a huge % rise except for the travel levy.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So...

1. You don't actually know that GG have been axed (although I fully concede it appears as though that is the case).
2. You don't actually know which people will have been involved in any decision regarding them.
3. You don't actually know what fans, or fans representatives, will have been consulted.

Quite correct, although we probably never were. We've just been in hibernation for a bit.

I'm sure most would agree with that. However, I'm not sure why a Premier League game at the Amex would be much different from what we have now. And most of us love what we have now.

All very well making your 'point', but what exactly is it?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Well if the club make changes/remove things, people will always make accusations.

In sure if there is a reasonable explanation for changes (IE axing GG) then it wouldn't be as bad, it's that the club isn't communicating with its "customers".

Yes, but my point is that so far I haven't actually seen any evidence to suggest that any of these changes are Barber's doing, and definitely not solely his doing. So why is everyone complaining about him and not to the club in general?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The travel vouchers were £1.50 per game. My DD last season was £32.91 and this season is £35.41 for the North stand so there isn't a huge % rise except for the travel levy.

The vouchers were £1 weren't they? First season the book of 30 were anyway. ST's went up £30 each which i guess is just over £1 (should in theory cover cup games shouldnt it but we're paying normal matchday prices for toon so guess it doesnt or we're paying twice for it - prob Barber's doing ;) ). I'm talking about match by match tickets. The £42 one - I'm not sure how much they were last yr - cant recall - but surely there's been a proce rise outside the new travel money addition...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here