Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the attention of Mr Barber

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Exactly,where they have 'safe' standing and over the last 12 months, prosecutions for football violence are up 90% and injuries relating to football violence up 120% compared to the average over the last 12 years. Great advert and no doubt will encourage the government to change legislation!!!!

Do you have figures on prosecutions in safe standing areas only ?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I must admit I am slightly confused, as I understand it all the Gully's Girls work for free so why is axing them a cost saving? and therefore why is it Barber's decision to make? The only logic I can see is that the club don't want people in their seats that early and would prefer you all staying on the concourse and having an extra pint.

Also I don't see how Richard Hebberd is getting away with this, some of the decisions regarding safe standing and standing in the North Stand are his as safety officer not Barbers.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
As CEO surely Barber is working to a brief given to him by the board, including Tony Bloom and yet he seems to be taking the flack dor all decision made. I would find it highley unlikely that the big decisions on things like prices and the change in catering supplier would be a unilateral decision by Barber but only after consultation with the board as a whole.
That said axing Gully girls does seem a little strange on a commercial basis, not sure what revenue impact they could have.

This. If a CEO is directly involved in sacking a cheer leading group then he ain't doing his job! Someone else will have put forward a proposal as to why GG should be disbanded. If it did get to Barber and the Board of Directors then that proposal to get rid must have had merit. But again, when you're dealing with shit caterers and trying to run a multi-million pound business then GG would have been down the list of priorities.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't do many " senseless, attention-seeking whinges " on NSC anymore.

Booooooo. I'm off to the bar. I'll be back when you return to your old material.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
jesus wept. A bunch of grown men are up in arms about the club changing the pre match entertainment. I remember when we had marching bands, Glenn Miller like bands, carribean steel bands and even Slade. Don't remember anyone crying or writing to the local rag under the guise of 'Mr Angry from the North Stand' when they changed or stopped.

Like it or not, the club is a business and in that respect governed by the laws of supply and demand. You might like to live in a fairy tale land where the fans have the final say in what goes but that my friends is not the real world of professional football. If you don't like it then sod off to watch some non-league crap and join the committee of that club if having a say is what is important to you rather than what happens on the pitch. Everyone moaning about prices is a joke. I paid £32 to sit in a crap stand on a wooden seat at Selhurst with hole in the wall concessions. In WSU I have a great view, better choice of beer, a padded seat. I'm currently paying about £3 a game more than when I sat on crap plastic seats stacked on scaffolding watching a game in the pouring rain where the catering was basic greasy spoon burgers and hot dogs and you couldn't drink a beer. I got home a lot earlier because it doesn't take long for a crowd of 5k to disperse. Do I mind waiting for the park and ride bus now, yes. Would I swap it for what we had at Withdean, no. As for the Goldstone, I had a season ticket in the west stand with the aroma of toilets below wafting through the exits. For all its romance, it was in the end a delapidated dump. Would I swap what we have here for that? No.

There seems to be a lot of animosity just because the club will not entertain safe standing at the Amex, principally because they have spent a fortune on the ground. So you haven't got your way, live with it. Campaign to your MP and the law of the land may change and the likes of Aston Villa can convert what was once a spion cop back into one. If gates dropped enough and the Albion didn't sell the seats they might consider it, but I thought the response from PB reported on another thread was fair under the circumstances, think even Attilla can see the clubs point of view. Doesn't mean you have to agree with it but equally doesn't mean you have to throw your toys out of the pram.

NSC was probably born out of the need to campaign. It started with major issues to fight against but over the last few years it has not had anything to sink its teeth into and so every wannabe keyboard warrior now jumps up and down at the meerest perceived injustice. I hate to think of the outrage if they changed the brand of loo paper!!!!!

This is getting so dull that I am craving for the start of the transfer window just to read the inane posts from schoolboys about having seen Messi at the Grand or getting a cab from Gatwick.

Spot on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I must admit I am slightly confused, as I understand it all the Gully's Girls work for free so why is axing them a cost saving? and therefore why is it Barber's decision to make? The only logic I can see is that the club don't want people in their seats that early and would prefer you all staying on the concourse and having an extra pint.

Also I don't see how Richard Hebberd is getting away with this, some of the decisions regarding safe standing and standing in the North Stand are his as safety officer not Barbers.

I doubt I am alone in this but I have never rushed my drink or broken off a converasation to go and watch Gully's Girls. It is a big leap to suggest that GGs have been axed to sell more food and drinks because fans are rushing to watch some fairly mediocre on field pre-match entertainment. Kids maybe but grown men? Really?

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Quite. It's the classic 'good cop bad cop' set-up. TB is seen as the great guy who gave us the stadium and the Demon Barber is the hard-nosed bastard whose job is to piss everybody off in order to make a few extra quid. They're a team. I haven't agreed with everything the club has done over the last few months (and some of the decisions may come back to bite them on the bum), but some of the anti-Barber vitriol on here is laughable. And personally, not being a fan of cheerleaders at football, I was pleased to see the back of the delightfully-amateur but also slightly cringeworthy Gully's Girls. They were also a bit too much 'Withdean era' for my liking.

The last sentence sums it up perfectly for me! Yeah it was ok and fair play for the REMF work they did but a polished outfit they were not... I'd be much happier with a penalty shoot out competition, kids games or something actually linked to football...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I doubt I am alone in this but I have never rushed my drink or broken off a converasation to go and watch Gully's Girls. It is a big leap to suggest that GGs have been axed to sell more food and drinks because fans are rushing to watch some fairly mediocre on field pre-match entertainment. Kids maybe but grown men? Really?
I Have absolutely no evidence for this as I don't know anyone involved in the decision, but my guess would be that they were disbanded because the image didn't fit. In other words having 'non-standard' cheerleaders was great when we had a 'non-standard' football ground, but once we moved into a shiny new home if you ARE going to want cheerleaders then they needed to be more in line with those of the Dallas Cowboys. Rather than going down that path they got rid of them, which as I said before, in my opinion was the right decision all round.

The judge

Sep 28, 2011
Portslade
A disgraceful decision by Mr Barber of BHAFC to axe Gully's Girls.

If you bothered to check you would see all the work they did and supported the REMF games for years on end, without pay, because they wanted to support the Charity. A shameful decision and Jo Wilson in particular has every right to feel very pissed off.

They also wanted to donate all of the profits from the Gully's Girls 2012 calender to the REMF as it is a cause they believed in and wanted to support. This made over £ 600 profit for the REMF.

Your decision means Gully's Girls will not be at REMF 12.

Do some research Mr Barber before you make decisions for us !

You are bang on the money with this Sir . But what can be done about it ?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

I agree entirely, I was just trying to understand why people believe this was Barber's decision, I can't believe he cares one way or the other, it isn't costing anything, it isn't making anything, it looks a bit crappy, and they have been undermined by the T-Shirt cannon which is much more interesting.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As CEO surely Barber is working to a brief given to him by the board, including Tony Bloom and yet he seems to be taking the flack dor all decision made. I would find it highley unlikely that the big decisions on things like prices and the change in catering supplier would be a unilateral decision by Barber but only after consultation with the board as a whole.
That said axing Gully girls does seem a little strange on a commercial basis, not sure what revenue impact they could have.

I find it very unlikely that Barber has to clear every decision he makes with either TB or the board. He's been employed as CEO - i.e. to make those decisions on behalf of the clubs shareholders. He hasn't made a fantastic start from a customer perspective.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I find it very unlikely that Barber has to clear every decision he makes with either TB or the board. He's been employed as CEO - i.e. to make those decisions on behalf of the clubs shareholders. He hasn't made a fantastic start from a customer perspective.

He's been panned by some for calling us "customers".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He's been panned by some for calling us "customers".

And rightly so. I perhaps shouldn't have used that word ! It would appear that Barber wants to run the club along purely commercial terms rather than as a fans club - strange considering the stadium has the word "community" in it AND that he claims to have read "Build a Bonfire". He's a commercial hatchet man pure and simple and shouldn't be anywhere near a "community" football club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looking at the list of some of the issues attributed to Mr Barber, I would like to know just what is accurate and what isn't.

I thought the catering prices rose for the FBS concert, which was before his appointment.
The higher season ticket prices were to include the travel voucher and that the actual game price was still the same.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Looking at the list of some of the issues attributed to Mr Barber, I would like to know just what is accurate and what isn't.

I thought the catering prices rose for the FBS concert, which was before his appointment.
The higher season ticket prices were to include the travel voucher and that the actual game price was still the same.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Sorry this is NSC, we don't do facts here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here