Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For **** sake, COG..(Barnsley forum)

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Whippet out quicker next time..........has any NSC poster ever been to Barnsley, non football only, iv'e never met anyone that has visited Barnsley.

My daughter lived in Barnsley for a while, I visited her ONCE :lol:

Last year I was in Marmaris, during a boat trip to Rhodes one of the crew told me he was moving to England, I asked him where? "Barnsley" I just looked at the weather, the beach, and the nice way he was spending his days (admittedly, probably for not much money) and said "I'm sure you'll love it" he picked up on my sarcasm and asked "is it not very nice?" :lol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's about trajectory for me. We are clearly going forwards as a club. Not many can say that at the moment. Standing still or falling backwards applies to 75% of football clubs in England.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Why should football grounds look run down with dire facilities and a far from welcoming atmosphere for young kids? Nostalgia is all very well, but the 'new" Oakwell is far better as an experience. Great views from the away end too.

Really? I don't see what's dire about it. In fact just by having standing that's a better facility IMHO. Far from welcoming for kids? I bloody loved it when there was a bit of an atmosphere at a game when I was little. Remember us playing Pompey at the Goldstone and I was about ten, it was so exciting! Nothing wrong with having a bit of variety though; in an ideal world, a ground should have a couple of stands with comfy seating and good views and a couple with a dirty great big terrace.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Huddersfield were at one tome bigger than all of them put together, as per the following lifted from their Wikipedia page. Some of this was under Herbert Chapman before he went to Arsenal.

First Division
Champions: 1923–24, 1924–25, 1925–26
Runners-up: 1926–27, 1927–28, 1933–34
Third-place: 1922–23, 1935–36, 1953–54

FA Cup
Winners: 1922
Runners-up: 1920, 1928, 1930, 1938
Semi-finalists: 1929, 1939

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We're not a big club in the eyes of most fans, and understandably so.

However, in the eyes of a player who has spent a season playing in front of 8,500 every week, how controversial is it really when that player moves to a club playing in the same division but in front of 26-27,000 every week, to call his new club a big club?

And they've got a bit of a cheek talking about us manufacturing a rivalry with Palace. They consider Sheff Weds their big rivalry game - a club who barely give a tuppenny toss about them.

True. After the Blades, there is a slight rivalry with Rotherham, but Barnsley aren't even on their radar.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Really? I don't see what's dire about it. In fact just by having standing that's a better facility IMHO. Far from welcoming for kids? I bloody loved it when there was a bit of an atmosphere at a game when I was little. Remember us playing Pompey at the Goldstone and I was about ten, it was so exciting! Nothing wrong with having a bit of variety though; in an ideal world, a ground should have a couple of stands with comfy seating and good views and a couple with a dirty great big terrace.
Agree with your point about variety but shit views and cramped pissy terraces aren't welcoming to the sort of kid you get at The Amex, some as young as five

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

And floodlights. Big floodlights that you can see from the nearest station, like Swindon still is. Made navigating to an away ground from the pub a cinch though I suppose everyone has these new fangled GPS devices now.

*puts on flat cap, smokes pipe, shouts randomly at traffic, eats Werthers*

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Barnsley only got "big" in the 90s. Had this conversation with my son about Fulham he was shocked they got relegated as they are a "big" club I told him growing up in the late 80s fulham were commonly found in division 4. Times change Blackpool beqing another example were big-were s### for decades-were big-and them today. Football always changed its a shame that nowadays with all the money in prem its not so common place for lots of teams to change places every couple of years but now the same names bounce up and down

Really! When were Fulham in Div 4 during the 80s?

All clubs have highs and lows. We are no different and neither are Barnsley. At this minute in time i would suggest we are an attractive proposition for certain reasons for certain players. Time changes football clubs. For us our recent history makes us attractive. All this my club is bigger than your club is just rubbish.

I have to agree with this. The insecurity of fans claiming their club is bigger than your club, including our own fans, is puerile. I have followed Brighton when in the top flite and when at the foot of Div 4 (or Div 3 or whatever the name for the lowest tier is). I've seen them in front of 33,500 at the Goldstone and in front of less than 5,000 at Withdean. On no occasion has my support depended on the level of 'bigness' of the club. Yes it is great to have a comfortable seat and great facilities but that alone does not make us a big club. Success on the pitch will probably determine that but even then, at best, we will never be a really big club. So what. If it mattered, I'd stop going.

Is this the same Barnsley that brought 254 fans to the Amex on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Now either a lot of their fans were holidaying in Mabelthorpe, or a celebrity from Ferrets weekly was opening a state of the art pigeon coup in the area, with a flat cap and a barm cake as first prize in't raffle thou nose.

How many stereotypes is that? I expect they were tidying their shoeboxes in t'middle of the road that day.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Agree with your point about variety but shit views and cramped pissy terraces aren't welcoming to the sort of kid you get at The Amex, some as young as five

Depends what 'sort of kid' you want watching footy, I remember my BBG debut at the age of 6, absolutely ****ing loved it, it was like a drug. I used to be so excited about going, looking forward to the atmosphere, the buzz, the football (and Derby were horrible at this point). Something else I vividly recall, I never ever ate a thing at the football, we had stew at a friends house, every game. Never waltzed off after 38 mins for chips/pie or whatever. I'd LOVE to take kids to football and know that was all that mattered, not the padding in the seat or what food they needed.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here