Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For Roy

The Horsham Seagull

Jun 9, 2013
Horsham
Just to say that I was deeply touched and moved by your poem Attila. It was so sad and emotional and I'm sure brought a tear to many supporters eyes on Tuesday evening when they heard it. I'm really pleased that you have posted the words of your poem on NSC so that others may read it. It must have been extremely difficult for you to read out on the night but it was indeed a fitting tribute to someone who was obviously Albion through and through. Thank you.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
It was a lovely moment on Tuesday which made me immensely proud of our club and the legends like Roy who battled for our future. Although I never knew Roy, I knew of him from the infamous Eversheds letter included in Build a Bonfire. I've appreciated the chance to read the words you spoke - as the applause began I missed the poignancy of the final line. Beautifully written.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
John, thanks for your words on Tuesday . And for the pub incident.
Is there any point in asking why he didn't tell anyone? That was Roy.
Makes it the more sadder.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
John, thanks for your words on Tuesday . And for the pub incident.
Is there any point in asking why he didn't tell anyone? That was Roy.
Makes it the more sadder.

Because he was Roy. Clever, friendly, stubborn, proud.
Off to Blackpool for 4 days of punk rock and beer to cheer myself up a bit. Give 'em a big cheer for me on Saturday.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've visited this thread about a dozen times and I still can't read that poem without choking up. ****ing hell Roy.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Dear John

I just wanted to thank you for what you did for Roy last night. I obviously didn't know Roy myself and sadly I never got an opportunity to meet him before he died but Paul and others have told me about the contribution he made – along with yourself and many others – to helping us to get where we are today. I was very touched by your poem and by the great personal efforts you made to ensure Roy's life was properly recognised after such a sad end. I was delighted by the reaction to your efforts, as I'm sure Roy's family and friends were, and by the huge respect shown by both sets of supporters. It's nice to do things that really matter properly and to ensure that our club's history and the people that help make it is preserved.

Kind regards, Paul

Big credit to Barber for writing a very personal letter (email). Shame that not many of the Barberphiles will see it tucked away in this thread.

And just to echo other comments, it was very moving on Tuesday, and credit must go to Newport for their show of respect too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thought you did a brilliant job Attila.

On Tuesday I had to move seat. Just before the tribute I bumped in to an old mate. We sit way apart normally but used to stand together at The Goldstone and away games. He wasn't sure he knew Roy from his name but as soon as the photo came up he went 'oh yeah, I know him'. I'm guessing that was the case for the majority of people who were there on Tuesday.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There have been some lovely tributes paid to Roy in the Book of Condolence, which was opened on Tuesday evening.

I know there are many others who cannot attend his funeral who would like to write their own message. I have the Book, and will be in Dick's Bar before (from around 1.45pm - or as soon as I can get there from the studio) and after the Derby County game this Saturday if anyone else would like to sign it.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Because he was Roy. Clever, friendly, stubborn, proud.
Off to Blackpool for 4 days of punk rock and beer to cheer myself up a bit. Give 'em a big cheer for me on Saturday.

Just wanted to add to what everyone else has said. . Very moving. It reminded me of the first game at Withdean after 7/11 and the minutes silence for Rob Eaton. Blackpool seems to be bigger than ever this year. Enjoy Friday and Sunday!

The Horsham Seagull

Jun 9, 2013
Horsham
Dear John

I just wanted to thank you for what you did for Roy last night. I obviously didn't know Roy myself and sadly I never got an opportunity to meet him before he died but Paul and others have told me about the contribution he made – along with yourself and many others – to helping us to get where we are today. I was very touched by your poem and by the great personal efforts you made to ensure Roy's life was properly recognised after such a sad end. I was delighted by the reaction to your efforts, as I'm sure Roy's family and friends were, and by the huge respect shown by both sets of supporters. It's nice to do things that really matter properly and to ensure that our club's history and the people that help make it is preserved.

Kind regards, Paul

Big credit to Barber for writing a very personal letter (email). Shame that not many of the Barberphiles will see it tucked away in this thread.

And just to echo other comments, it was very moving on Tuesday, and credit must go to Newport for their show of respect too.

For what it's worth I absolutely agree with you Greavsey. Give Paul Barber a little bit of credit for once, a nice heartfelt letter to Attila that shows a side to the man that perhaps some don't see, or want to see. And yes, it was also good to see the true spirit of football in seeing the respect that the Newport fans showed on hearing the poem when it was read out on Tuesday night. RIP Roy.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Such a tragic tale, if only he had asked for help.

Totally gutted to hear what happened.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I think you mean Barberphobes, but your point is valid :)

I noticed that the Newport fans started applauding before anyone else, which was a heartening moment amidst all the crap that's since floated to the surface around that game (racism, homophobia, swearing etc).

Cheers, Newport fans.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I didn't know Roy, but knew of what he did. Attila you, however, brought tears to my eyes on Tuesday- it was very moving. What a sad sad loss.

Very much this, made my hairs stand up on edge. Also great to see the Newport fans pretty much start the applause too - shame that was missed under all the reports of racism, homophobia and abuse.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It was a very moving tribute, the tone was just right and appropriate for the man and the situation so credit to all involved for that.

Well done Attila, you did him proud in what must have been testing circumstances.

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
Thanks Attila. Could not be there last Tuesday night but will be there next Tuesday to pay respects to my good friend of 35 years. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Dandyman

In London village.
Thanks for these kind words. I was at the Selden in Worthing last night to pay my respects to the place where he had his last drink and talk to those who were there. Roy spent his last evening (30th, Tuesday night) firstly sitting in the corner writing his (beautifully written, as ever) farewell note, then moving to the bar and sitting there, chatting to landlady and locals about the Albion, music, beer...the normal things. He looked ill, and complained about his back, but no one thought anything seemed different about him. He was just Roy.
At about 11.30, chucking out time, he left. 'What seemed a bit weird', the landlady said, 'was that instead of turning right to where he lived, he turned left.'
But Roy had been evicted. And he hadn't told ANYONE. He was turning left, on that walk to East Worthing station...........

I think it was most appropriate to do the tribute at the first game after his death, and Not Andy Naylor is right, it I would say it was mainly the hardcore fans who knew Roy who were there. Also I am due to be performing over this weekend at the Rebellion punk festival in Blackpool. We thought long and hard and decided that Tuesday was the best day, and I'd go and do my gigs.

I have had a lovely letter from Paul Barber. Though I fundamentally disagree with him on some issues I have never joined in the chorus of condemnation: I have always thought that he simply needs to learn, and will learn, what kind of club we are, and if Roy's awful death contributes to that process then at least that is a good thing. I think it will.

Dear John

Kind regards, Paul

Hard to add anything to that. The Star will seem a little odd tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here