Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For queen and country?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Perfectly said. Let's not also forget that some of the Royals have actually put their lives on the line for this country - Prince Andrew and Prince Harry to name but two.

I'll name another living one as Prince Philip who served in WWII.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I used to be a fervent Republican but to be honest I don't really care about it any more. Still, it gives the press something to do doesn't it.

I do find it hard to justify why people should be so privilidged through accident of birth though.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Perfectly said. Let's not also forget that some of the Royals have actually put their lives on the line for this country - Prince Andrew and Prince Harry to name but two.

Yep, Prince William is a helicopter pilot, qualified, and Harry has served in Afghan, neither had to, they both work. Our Royal family seem to be far more popular around the world, and respected, than they are here.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Queen was quite fit when she was young.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I used to be a fervent Republican but to be honest I don't really care about it any more. Still, it gives the press something to do doesn't it.

I do find it hard to justify why people should be so privilidged through accident of birth though.

I'd question how privileged they really are - I'd not want to be a Royal for all the tea in China. I rather like being able to do what I want when I want without the responsibility or expectation.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The idea of someone inheriting a position purelu because of an accident of birth I think is morally repugnant.

You do realise that these days the position of sovereign is merely a technical 'figure-head' with no real power. We are a constitutional monarchy, laws are devised and voted in by the two houses of parliament, the Queen can on paper return a new or amended law to the houses after refusal, but that hasn't happened in 300 years, and is never going to happen.

...anyway, you would inherit the position of head of the family, if all your nearest and dearest passed on.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

But you are too are you not??.... the accident of birth that made you a citizen of a civilised western nation, with all the priviledges that brings to your daily life... compared to the accident of birth (and death) that an orphan in Mogadishu for example may experience..... its all relative sir.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'd question how privileged they really are - I'd not want to be a Royal for all the tea in China. I rather like being able to do what I want when I want without the responsibility or expectation.

Exactly. We can change jobs, pay our tax, and get out and about and enjoy our social life, untroubled. At the age of 86, she is still doing her same job, and still contributing more than she takes out. As for the land she owns, or the country owns, at least down the line it will not have 500 houses or a Tesco Express built on it, might be one of the few places we can visit that have remained unspoilt.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
But you are too are you not??.... the accident of birth that made you a citizen of a civilised western nation, with all the priviledges that brings to your daily life... compared to the accident of birth (and death) that an orphan in Mogadishu for example may experience..... its all relative sir.

Well said. Perspective is everything.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Fair point, as you say it's all relative.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I have nothing against any individual members of the Royal Family. They all seem decent enough.

As a concept.. its obscene though - the automatic deification of individuals simply because of who's womb they came out of, in this day and age, is incredible.

Some of the glorification of them - Daily Express, Daily Mail etc - is rancid, and stinks of the worst kind of Little Englander mentality.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I have nothing against any individual members of the Royal Family. They all seem decent enough.

As a concept.. its obscene though - the automatic deification of individuals simply because of who's womb they came out of, in this day and age, is incredible.

Some of the glorification of them - Daily Express, Daily Mail etc - is rancid, and stinks of the worst kind of Little Englander mentality.

Since when did she become the Queen of just England?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

when did hereditary advantage exactly go out of favour "in this day and age"? you seem to believe, on a number of subjects, that fundamentals of human societies have somehow been turned upside down in your short lifespan, and interpret temporary social mores as long term trends, on a trajectory of constant improvement. you are funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here