Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] For Americans was Brighton your Wrexham before Wrexham became Wrexham under Canadian Deadpool guy and Sunny in Philly guy?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
"Did any of you follow Brighton back in the day when they, too, were a perennial relegation risk, and had an ongoing operatic ownership and stadium saga?
And did it take Wrexham's new, and fairly famous, American ownership to become (Red-White-and Biue) Dragons?"

I think that's right?

Gus was manager then & Leo Ulloa (sp?) was the star. This guy

1682191257224.png

Championship level 2016.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
As Americans, we chose to support Brighton because so many others just blindly/lazily pick a famous club. (Just as they do with American football- when they support the Dallas Cowboys for no other reason than they have heard their name more frequently)

My son (12 years old at that time), did not want to “jump on the bandwagon of Liverpool, City, United, or Chelsea” - he watched some games and really liked the way there were no “stars” but a true “team” with their precision passing and selfless scoring. As relative newcomers who are studying the Albion history, it appears we picked the right club at the most opportune time.

After Christmas, we flew to London for our children’s first trip overseas. My son and I took the train to Brighton on New Years Eve and got to the Amex early to walk around prior to the Arsenal match. Everyone we met was so friendly and welcoming. While the outcome was not good, the experience was amazing.

Since we returned to the states- we live in Chapel Hill, North Carolina (beside the UNC campus)- several of my friends and my son’s school mates have begun to follow Brighton as well.

Our “next step” is getting a deeper understanding of the financing - so as to appreciate the decision-making processes by Barber and Bloom. (Hat tip to the poster who published the roster with ages and contracts!) we are adding “current pay” and “transfer value” in order to “play owner” … but what is missing from our understanding is the value of making it to Champions League vs Europa… with increases in revenues but also costs… and the need for a deeper bench, etc. Our dual hopes are
1) the club finishes strong and secures European play
2) Bloom seizes this rare opportunity to invest in the Manager and key players to elevate Brighton for years to come!

We will be traveling to Atlanta - hope to see some fellow Seagulls this summer!

The “behind the scenes” documentary series, Welcome to Wrexham has been invaluable to their financial success. It has been reported that their revenue from broadcasting more than covered their purchase price. Now that Ryan Reynolds made another fortune selling his shares of Mint Mobile- it will be interesting to see where he places his bets.

Wrexham is playing Chelsea here in Chapel Hill on July 19th. My friend owns the best pub in town- The Crunkleton. He will be their “headquarters” before and after the match. Should be fun.
Great post. Welcome to the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here