Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] For Americans was Brighton your Wrexham before Wrexham became Wrexham under Canadian Deadpool guy and Sunny in Philly guy?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Me reading this thread title:
38CD0C6B-8BED-41F7-9AF7-FF9863512655.gif

Last edited:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Did you recognise Wrexham going through the same hell as Brighton in the 1990s… but only before their recent takeover?

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
As Americans, we chose to support Brighton because so many others just blindly/lazily pick a famous club. (Just as they do with American football- when they support the Dallas Cowboys for no other reason than they have heard their name more frequently)

My son (12 years old at that time), did not want to “jump on the bandwagon of Liverpool, City, United, or Chelsea” - he watched some games and really liked the way there were no “stars” but a true “team” with their precision passing and selfless scoring. As relative newcomers who are studying the Albion history, it appears we picked the right club at the most opportune time.

After Christmas, we flew to London for our children’s first trip overseas. My son and I took the train to Brighton on New Years Eve and got to the Amex early to walk around prior to the Arsenal match. Everyone we met was so friendly and welcoming. While the outcome was not good, the experience was amazing.

Since we returned to the states- we live in Chapel Hill, North Carolina (beside the UNC campus)- several of my friends and my son’s school mates have begun to follow Brighton as well.

Our “next step” is getting a deeper understanding of the financing - so as to appreciate the decision-making processes by Barber and Bloom. (Hat tip to the poster who published the roster with ages and contracts!) we are adding “current pay” and “transfer value” in order to “play owner” … but what is missing from our understanding is the value of making it to Champions League vs Europa… with increases in revenues but also costs… and the need for a deeper bench, etc. Our dual hopes are
1) the club finishes strong and secures European play
2) Bloom seizes this rare opportunity to invest in the Manager and key players to elevate Brighton for years to come!

We will be traveling to Atlanta - hope to see some fellow Seagulls this summer!

The “behind the scenes” documentary series, Welcome to Wrexham has been invaluable to their financial success. It has been reported that their revenue from broadcasting more than covered their purchase price. Now that Ryan Reynolds made another fortune selling his shares of Mint Mobile- it will be interesting to see where he places his bets.

Wrexham is playing Chelsea here in Chapel Hill on July 19th. My friend owns the best pub in town- The Crunkleton. He will be their “headquarters” before and after the match. Should be fun.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
As Americans, we chose to support Brighton because so many others just blindly/lazily pick a famous club. (Just as they do with American football- when they support the Dallas Cowboys for no other reason than they have heard their name more frequently)

My son (12 years old at that time), did not want to “jump on the bandwagon of Liverpool, City, United, or Chelsea” - he watched some games and really liked the way there were no “stars” but a true “team” with their precision passing and selfless scoring. As relative newcomers who are studying the Albion history, it appears we picked the right club at the most opportune time.

After Christmas, we flew to London for our children’s first trip overseas. My son and I took the train to Brighton on New Years Eve and got to the Amex early to walk around prior to the Arsenal match. Everyone we met was so friendly and welcoming. While the outcome was not good, the experience was amazing.

Since we returned to the states- we live in Chapel Hill, North Carolina (beside the UNC campus)- several of my friends and my son’s school mates have begun to follow Brighton as well.

Our “next step” is getting a deeper understanding of the financing - so as to appreciate the decision-making processes by Barber and Bloom. (Hat tip to the poster who published the roster with ages and contracts!) we are adding “current pay” and “transfer value” in order to “play owner” … but what is missing from our understanding is the value of making it to Champions League vs Europa… with increases in revenues but also costs… and the need for a deeper bench, etc. Our dual hopes are
2) Bloom seizes this rare opportunity to invest in the Manager and key players to elevate Brighton for years to come!

The “behind the scenes” documentary series, Welcome to Wrexham has been invaluable to their financial success. It has been reported that their revenue from broadcasting more than covered their purchase price. Now that Ryan Reynolds made another fortune selling his shares of Mint Mobile- it will be interesting to see where he places his bets.

Wrexham is playing Chelsea here in Chapel Hill on July 19th. My friend owns the best pub in town- The Crunkleton. He will be their “headquarters” before and after the match. Should be fun.

If you want to understand exactly what our club is about then if you have a kindle download this book. The darkest period in our history and the fans efforts to save the club, which have been the cornerstone of everything we've done since.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006E38HMK/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1682182139&sr=8-1

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I have followed Gridiron over the years. As a Brighton fan I decided to follow the Jets, seemed a good match 😀.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Did you recognise Wrexham going through the same hell as Brighton in the 1990s… but only before their recent takeover?

No, I did use the word "before" the Deadpool/Sunny in Philly takeover. Wrexham went through some tough times but I would say not as bad as the Albion.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

If you want to understand exactly what our club is about then if you have a kindle download this book. The darkest period in our history and the fans efforts to save the club, which have been the cornerstone of everything we've done since.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006E38HMK/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1682182139&sr=8-1
Or this.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

You've made a great choice. This is the loveliest club on the whole, entire planet.

Hic.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I originally sort-of-liked the club (this would have been as a schoolboy) because of the way it sounded when
James Alexander Gordon read it off on the World Service... "Brighton Hove Albion nil, Chester City nil.." Must have been 11 or 12, had a shortwave radio as a treasured possession. I guess it was that or "Hamilton Academicals"....

Later, a lady friend of mine went to University of Sussex for a post-graduate year, and knew I was interested in football, so she saved/scrounged some stuff from the club and sent it to me. Followed footie in a half-arsed way, in Irish Boston, Liverpool always had a following -- "Sure, I follow the Irish national side, I root for Liverpool" was the joke...

The Boston Red Sox, though never in danger of going under, had gone through a couple of worst-to-first cycles in my younger years, and when the internet came in -- really, CompuServe in the very late '80's -- I used to keep an eye on BHA's roller coaster. Come the internet, that was much easier to do, and I started following the Clubs in Crisis website. The rest is history. Been on here since '04.

My interest/knowledge in Wrexham is due to a book, Twenty-Two Foreigners in Funny Shorts, that came out for the '84 US-hosted World Cup. The story of Wrexham's promotion push in '92-93, interlaced with a history of the WC. Pryce Griffiths features prominently, in a Dick Knight role. (I didn't stumble over it till 2000.) Still a great read...

And the town tip -- excuse me, 'transfer station' -- is on Seagull Lane.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

When I lived in New York I was pleasantly surprised at the number of Americans who used to join us Albion supporters watching the game in the pub. As you say they could have blindly followed one of the big names. But they chose us - one because he used to go to Sussex University and started watching them at the Amex, another one did it to piss off his ex girlfriend who was a Palace supporter and the rest just liked what they saw. Most of the ones who did follow the big names were Yankee fans who were only interested in 'success' at any cost, so no surprise there

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Can anyone translate into English?
"Did any of you follow Brighton back in the day when they, too, were a perennial relegation risk, and had an ongoing operatic ownership and stadium saga?
And did it take Wrexham's new, and fairly famous, American ownership to become (Red-White-and Biue) Dragons?"

I think that's right?

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
"Did any of you follow Brighton back in the day when they, too, were a perennial relegation risk, and had an ongoing operatic ownership and stadium saga?
And did it take Wrexham's new, and fairly famous, American ownership to become (Red-White-and Biue) Dragons?"

I think that's right?

Netflix loves drama. Many Americans following the programs don't know squat about soccer/footie.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019

North Carolina, my youngest son is heading out your way soon. Off to work at a Camp America place!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here