Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football’s shame and silence

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
If the kids knew there were predators how could the adults not?

Bookworms of a certain age will remember the Puffin Club. It was run by Kaye Webb, who was the editor of the Puffin Books line. One thing they did was arrange holidays for members every year. Kids would go to some outward bound type centre and hang out with Puffin authors. One of them was William Mayne, who was later convicted of grooming sexually abusing his young readers.

Kaye Webb remarked on him soon after, saying that she and the other authors always had to keep an eye on him on these holidays in case he tried anything with the girls. :mad:

So why was he invited every bloody year and why did she not do anything? Instead, she just kept publishing his books and treating him as an amusing eccentric instead of a dangerous predator who ruined lives.

Unbelievable. But in these big organisations people do know what’s going on and often do bugger all about it. I simply can’t fathom that mentality.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There seems to be some horrible similarities with the Penn State abuse scandal in the States which went on for over 10 years. When this came to light there were a lot of people who although not in any way involved with the abuse were part of the cover up. Joe Paterno who was the head coach at Penn State was treated like some kind of god because of his success with the team. Even when all the facts came out there were still people who did not believe the part he played in not reporting the facts to the authorities. It seemed like success at any cost was more important.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Bookworms of a certain age will remember the Puffin Club. It was run by Kaye Webb, who was the editor of the Puffin Books line. One thing they did was arrange holidays for members every year. Kids would go to some outward bound type centre and hang out with Puffin authors. One of them was William Mayne, who was later convicted of grooming sexually abusing his young readers.

Kaye Webb remarked on him soon after, saying that she and the other authors always had to keep an eye on him on these holidays in case he tried anything with the girls. :mad:

So why was he invited every bloody year and why did she not do anything? Instead, she just kept publishing his books and treating him as an amusing eccentric instead of a dangerous predator who ruined lives.

Unbelievable. But in these big organisations people do know what’s going on and often do bugger all about it. I simply can’t fathom that mentality.

It's an unfathomable attitude, it really is. I'm not sure saying different times is an acceptable excuse, I'm pretty sure paedophilia was as abhorrent and illegal back in the day as it is now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here