Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Footballers who have done time...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Drug-testing in football: how does it work and does it go far enough?

http://gu.com/p/3dzpb

1,200 tests last year at all levels of professional football. There must be thousands of players.

As you say, I find it hard to believe that football is so clean. Certainly a distinct lack of players being caught out for recreational use.
The key question that's not answered in that article is:-

Exactly what are the 1200 tests carried out?

It says urine and blood are taken, but doesn't say what of each, and which was tested.
If you are committed to a 'professional' PED programme, a urine test is almost impossible to fail.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Jimmy Gauld
David Layne (Sheff Wed)
Tony Kay (Sheff Wed)
Peter Swan (Sheff Wed)
Brian Philips (Mansfield Town)
Sammy Chapman (Mansfield Town)
Ron Howells (Walsall)
Ken Thomson (Hartlepools United)
Dick Beattie (St Mirren)
Jack Fountain (York City)

... for their part in the English 1960s match-fixing scandals.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bobby Moore (not in the Escape to Victory sense, mentioned already).

4 days in Mexico, for 'stealing a bracelet'.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Didn't Jan Molby spend a couple of months at Her Majesty's pleasure for drink-driving before strolling back into the Liverpool team?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Very funny!! :lolol:
I hope you are joking!

No, not at all. For me he is, along with Ronaldo my most hated player of all time.

He played for probably the two scummiest teams in English football, how anyone can like him is beyond me.

There was a point during the home play off game with Palace when some people in the North Stand started chanting his name, it made me feel sick.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Marlon King

Luke McCormick

Edit: Sorry just noticed they have already been mentioned.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Joey Barton.

Jermaine Pennant.

That fat lump Micky Quinn did time for driving offences as a Pompey player, as did Ian Wright when he was very young.

Anyone remember Ricky Otto? Ex Birmingham/Southend, favourite of Barry Fry. Time for armed robbery I believe, before becoming a footballer.

I think Elliott Omozusi (?) who was a quite highly rated Fulham defender went down for witness intimidation, relating to a court case some mates of his were involved with. Might be with Orient now.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Leicester players Frank Sinclair, Keith Gillespie and Paul Dickov spent a few days in a Spanish prison in 2004, accused of rape. The women turned out to be hookers and after their clothes showed no trace of the footballers DNA, all charges were dropped against them.

Former West Ham cult hero Frank McAvennie was caught with smuggling ecstasy and speed when he retired. Spent time on remand.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No, not at all. For me he is, along with Ronaldo my most hated player of all time.

He played for probably the two scummiest teams in English football, how anyone can like him is beyond me.

There was a point during the home play off game with Palace when some people in the North Stand started chanting his name, it made me feel sick.

One very good reason why lots of Albion fans like him :salute:

Like them or hate them Ronaldo and Cantona both quality players.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
No problem for me. If someone has committed an offence and served their punishment to society then they deserve as much of a chance as anybody else

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here