Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football Violence On The Rise

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This thread reminded me of the below, which I read on the Cambridge United forum on the morning of their game vs. Oxford United on the opening day of this season. Make me laugh, plus I thought it may appeal to [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION].

A mob of their chaps in Stone Island gowns was seen plotting outside the Trinity Library this morning, tooled-up with state-of-the-art digital scanners with the intention of taking the College's 14th century Arabic papyri manuscripts. Our patrol was tipped-off and ready for a row. They started coming on with all this ****ing mouth about Brasenose Senior Research Fellowships and publication in refereed journals. But when it came to addressing admissions protocols it transpired that they'd failed to apply for statutory access the minimum fourteen days in advance, and two of them had faked their identities by covering up 'Oxford Brookes University' and glueing a Keble College logo onto their lanyards. Wankers! The Custodians gave them a right slapping and run them down Magdalene Street. Old Bill come down and seized their formal hall dining invitations.

I had to read that several times, nodding knowingly the first couple of times, before it dawned on me that it was all a made up joke???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jan 30, 2008
Ok I'll get the ball rolling again , Birmingham when the Zulus came down tried to get in the West stand and a certain poster on here held them back with a mop ! ,blade pulled out by a black chap top of the steps by the pub at Hove Station ,unsavoury scenes along church Road after the game

Regards
DF

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ok I'll get the ball rolling again , Birmingham when the Zulus came down tried to get in the West stand and a certain poster on here held them back with a mop ! ,blade pulled out by a black chap top of the steps by the pub at Hove Station ,unsavoury scenes along church Road after the game

Regards
DF

So a couple of elderly Birmingham fans tried to get into the shop to buy a programme after the match and you were on cleaning duties ?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
There has certainly been a rise in things like flares and people going on the pitch of late.

I know people have a romantic view of the era but I tend to find football hooligans a bunch of annoying middle aged blokes who should know better.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
‘Flares, missiles and hate crime’, whilst bad is not exactly the disorder of the 1970s and 80s.

Exactly, flares whilst can be dangerous, I've not seen reports of any injuries from them lately? Missiles, they class plastic cups and paper as a missile.. Regarding hate crime, is it worse than it was? Or are more people reporting it nowadays(good)?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Exactly, flares whilst can be dangerous, I've not seen reports of any injuries from them lately? Missiles, they class plastic cups and paper as a missile.. Regarding hate crime, is it worse than it was? Or are more people reporting it nowadays(good)?

Standard media playbook tactic, and not surprising with safe standing back on the agenda and returning in some grounds.

The same with racism and other hate crimes………it may be difficult for those new to football or not young enough to have been to matches in 70s, 80s and even 90s………..but to quote L. P. Hartley:

The past is a different country, they do things different there.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Standard media playbook tactic, and not surprising with safe standing back on the agenda and returning in some grounds.

The same with racism and other hate crimes………it may be difficult for those new to football or not young enough to have been to matches in 70s, 80s and even 90s………..but to quote L. P. Hartley:

The past is a different country, they do things different there.

Yes but all racism is wrong. Wouldn't you agree?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Lot of youth at it these days. Like most things the youth do , it is a poor attempt at how it used to be.

Fair play for these youngsters trying to get it going with the punishments dished out now.

People letting off steam after locked down also

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Lot of youth at it these days. Like most things the youth do , it is a poor attempt at how it used to be.

Fair play for these youngsters trying to get it going with the punishments dished out now.

People letting off steam after locked down also

It’s always been ‘youth’ that have acted like knobbeads. Today’s sad, middle aged hooligan groupies were ‘youth’ back in the day.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Is that true......or did you hear it on the BBC???

Arrests at football matches across the top five English leagues are at their highest levels in years

How many years?? if you are taking in lock out year or so then its hardly surprising it has risen,

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Is that true......or did you hear it on the BBC???

Arrests at football matches across the top five English leagues are at their highest levels in years

How many years?? if you are taking in lock out year or so then its hardly surprising it has risen,

The report is from the head of the UK's football policing so nothing to do with the BBC. It compares the year before the lockdown, the start of the 2019-2020 season. To be really useful it should compare several years of data at least.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Even creeping into the Non League scene, a number of incidents at two recent Bognor vs Worthing derbies.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009

Someone banned on multiple occasions from NSC for racism probably wouldn’t agree.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
From a low base and after a season of being locked out. I think the authorities will get a handle on this and it won't get worse from this point.

The low point was probably the Euro Final - I would hope and expect lessons to have been learned since then.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

No.

These days some racism is right, wouldn’t you agree?

https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/news/articles/bbc-defends-bame-only-internship#gref

It’s a difficult road to tread I grant you, for some the threshold of what constitutes racism is pretty low these days. I would imagine if Fredrick Douglas, (from his righteous perch) was looking down at the massed ranks of self appointed, piss stained, racist witch generals goose stepping around message boards associated with provincial football team he would shout out to Rosa Parks…….”hey Rosa come over here and take a look at these folks, they don’t know racism any more that they know how to stop damping themselves”

Maybe Hartley’s quote is wrong, the present is a different country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here