Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football tourists at the Amex yesterday

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Don't think ANYONE is making assumptions purely on how someone LOOKS. It's mainly how they ACT.

Well said.

The clue/s were in the multitude of photos being taken outside by the shop/crest on floor, carrying bags with newly purchased 'stuff' from the club shop and being rather excitable about being at the ground.....and coupled with their accents and appearance were a bit of a giveaway to the humble regular that they were here for the first time and not possibly Brighton fans first and foremost

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well said.

The clue/s were in the multitude of photos being taken outside by the shop/crest on floor, carrying bags with newly purchased 'stuff' from the club shop and being rather excitable about being at the ground.....and coupled with their accents and appearance were a bit of a giveaway to the humble regular that they were here for the first time and not possibly Brighton fans first and foremost

While elsewhere at the same event.

I bought a coffee from man in kiosk.
Resisted a Rockie Road Slice (a decision I've regretted ever since)
Sat outside West Stand.
Wearing no club apparel.
Watched the game.
Went home.

If only we had some way of knowing who the club favours and why.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I have no concern about them attending but just wondered how they get tickets. Are they just bought online or do they have to become a member

Think you have to become a member but that's not hard and if you're a tourist could just be factored into the expense of a day out. I know a local fan of Liverpool who is a member in the hope of getting a ticket when they come here, I'd imagine it's pretty common for local supporters of other clubs to be members too like he is. None of the City fans I was eavesdropping on travelling the bus in from Lewes direction yesterday, almost none wearing colours, seemed to be from further north than Haywards Heath and while some of them might have had tickets for the away end I'd hazard a guess not all of them are regulars at the Etihad. Assuming their away tickets are allocated like ours there were probably a number of them in home sections.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Yes . I am registered at no cost with several PL clubs and have several times had no trouble getting ticket for an Albion game. Does take something away from atmosphere by sitting in home end and keeping quite

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
D69312E8-9824-4E86-82FC-32B9147051A8.jpeg

Saw this one yesterday. Outside bar.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not too sure about tourist…but two young men next to me spent the whole of the second half watching some other game on a mobile WTF

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Can’t moan myself as like to travel to and see games overseas so have done the same but people who wear apparel of teams other than those playing to games is is just a bit odd

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
View attachment 141527

Saw this one yesterday. Outside bar.

While this is clearly a bizarre top to wear considering the game a part of me likes the idea that this might just be someone who loves football for the joy of watching it in a non-tribal way. But maybe it's a stag do idea of "BANTZ". A Chelsea supporting colleague of mine had a part of his stag do wearing full Spurs kit, sat in the Spurs fans at White Hart Lane for a match against Chelsea while all his mates were in with the away support as normal.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
While this is clearly a bizarre top to wear considering the game a part of me likes the idea that this might just be someone who loves football for the joy of watching it in a non-tribal way. But maybe it's a stag do idea of "BANTZ". A Chelsea supporting colleague of mine had a part of his stag do wearing full Spurs kit, sat in the Spurs fans at White Hart Lane for a match against Chelsea while all his mates were in with the away support as normal.

I think he lost a bet. :smile:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
. ALL wearing brand-spanking new Molder shirts .[/QUOTE said:
Club shop printer should have spotted that to be fair.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I brought eight students with me yesterday to the match from Canada, Brazil, Chile, St Kitts & Nevis, Germany, India, UK and Honduras. They loved eating out in Brighton and attending the match. Most bought something from the club shop too. Cannot see much of a downside.

Also got to meet [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] for the first time, so a splendid all round day out*

*Apart from Citeh ripping us a new one for 45 minutes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I brought eight students with me yesterday to the match from Canada, Brazil, Chile, St Kitts & Nevis, Germany, India, UK and Honduras. They loved eating out in Brighton and attending the match. Most bought something from the club shop too. Cannot see much of a downside.

Also got to meet [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] for the first time, so a splendid all round day out*

I was going to PM you to say what I forgot to say yesterday, that you looked like you have found new and effective fun ways of replacing the forms of exercise that time and tide and circumstance may have taken from you in the recent past. :thumbsup:

Today I have mostly been pondering whether sportswashing really works. My hypothesis is that if it does, tangible benefit must follow. So I am thinking of setting up a poll to ask whether 'you' (the NSC reader) would be more inclined to be more favourably disposed towards the owner group in charge of a club if they made the club more successful, regardless of the new owner's antecedents.

I can understand that Newcastle will sell more shirts in Singapore if Newcastle win the Champion's league, but scaling back, and apart from 'earning' more money, which one would, what other tangible benefit could be obtained if, say, you were a murderous tarrorist supporting regime, in no need whatsoever of more income, who are new owners of a football club? How much 'influence' does this buy in the geopolitical world? Perhaps the answers are on your latest podcast, which I will play during the week.

All the best,
HWT

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We won't have truly arrived on the global market until BHA home shirts are available in Sports Direct ....

Used to joke with my girls when they were little [and we were in league 2] that they must have sold out of Brighton shirts as there were none left.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was going to PM you to say what I forgot to say yesterday, that you looked like you have found new and effective fun ways of replacing the forms of exercise that time and tide and circumstance may have taken from you in the recent past. :thumbsup:

Today I have mostly been pondering whether sportswashing really works. My hypothesis is that if it does, tangible benefit must follow. So I am thinking of setting up a poll to ask whether 'you' (the NSC reader) would be more inclined to be more favourably disposed towards the owner group in charge of a club if they made the club more successful, regardless of the new owner's antecedents.

I can understand that Newcastle will sell more shirts in Singapore if Newcastle win the Champion's league, but scaling back, and apart from 'earning' more money, which one would, what other tangible benefit could be obtained if, say, you were a murderous tarrorist supporting regime, in no need whatsoever of more income, who are new owners of a football club? How much 'influence' does this buy in the geopolitical world? Perhaps the answers are on your latest podcast, which I will play during the week.

All the best,
HWT

I suspect that many fans might feel a bit uncomfortable in relation to the funding of their club’s wealth and/or sponsors but a bit like Men In Black that can be forgotten if lots of money is promised.

I think Joe Strummer probably summed it up correctly “If Adolf Hitler flew in today*, they’d send a limousine anyway”

*Promisng to spaff £100m on a new centre forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

…and it was going so well (the Harry bit is supposed to be in bold) :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here