Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football & Politics; business as usual in Argentina.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I guess perhaps that's why they are doing what they are doing. They had friends and relatives in the conflict as well.

As kids at school would say, they started it. It was their choice. Neither the UK or the Falkland Islanders wanted the conflict, but defended it as would anyone when their home is attacked.
The islands were completely uninhabited when the sheep farmers and fishermen moved there in 1833. Argentina wasn't a country until 1853 when they gained independance from Spain.
Unlike Australia who already had an indigenous population when the Europeans moved in.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
But we can always go one step better.............

104fukfy75755437260402667_n.jpg

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
The photo is interesting as you can see it is being held in front of he players by some lads and a few of the players even look uncomfortable.
Either way, the vast majority of Argentinians agree which is probably te only thing they do agree on! Personally, I don't agree and using a football match to promote such ideas is wrong. Anyone remember the English team doing the nazi salute? That didn't work out well for them either.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
qusuhuja.jpg

Silly, but apparently they have done it at a lot of matches in the past and I don't remember it being highlighted then?

can you post all the links showing the national team doing this at lots of matches before?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The photo is interesting as you can see it is being held in front of he players by some lads and a few of the players even look uncomfortable.
Either way, the vast majority of Argentinians agree which is probably te only thing they do agree on! Personally, I don't agree and using a football match to promote such ideas is wrong. Anyone remember the English team doing the nazi salute? That didn't work out well for them either.

There are a lot of Argentinians who don't agree with it. The forces that were sent in 1982 in April didn't even know the climate of the islands and some of their very young conscripted troops were wearing cotton fatigues.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Since surveying for oil in the area around the Falklands has shown that there is likely a good amount to be had, the Falklands/Malvinas question has become more than just symbolic for Argentina. Financially, it could save Argentina, it is a very big deal for them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Oddly enough i do have Argie relatives,and they dont agree they have claim......they do agree however this is always dragged up when national pride comes to the forefront or their government is on the verge of collapse.

they generally just wish the issue was left alone and ignored.......far more important issues etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oddly enough i do have Argie relatives,and they dont agree they have claim......they do agree however this is always dragged up when national pride comes to the forefront or their government is on the verge of collapse.

they generally just wish the issue was left alone and ignored.......far more important issues etc.

:thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Unfortunately, by invading the Falklands they have blown any chance or regaining them diplomatically for many generations. No British government would betray the lives of our soldiers and islanders who died during the conflict by giving an inch to Argentina. And, as pointed out, certainly not now that there is a good lot of natural resources there too. Let them have all their photo opportunities and rallies, they are just wasting their breath.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That must mean people who disagree with what they did disagree with this?

View attachment 54821
Why? I'm not against a football team making a political statement, it's the politics behind it that I disagree with. Argentina have zero claim for the Falklands.

If they decided to invade the falklands now I think we would find it very difficult to kick them out with no Aircraft carriers,Harriers etc,
Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and what did the Americans do - they went to war with Japan and bombed the **** out of them. If I was Britain's leader, I'd make it clear to Argentina that if they attacked the Falklands we'd bomb their mainland.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011

Well I served on Hermes during the war and was detailed with helping guard some of the prisoners shortly afterwards. I also lived/worked in Brazil for ten years. Yu comments and the other posters are correct, what I should have said that it is a subject that stirs up the passions for them to start waving the flags about. It has always been a fall back for the local politicians as was the original invasion due to the Juntas collapsing government at the time.
I visited the monument in Buones Aires and members of lost soldiers and ex-soldiers visit every day,it was very moving I spoke to a few of them although I did not say I served.
Anyway any war is a waste.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bloke I feel sorry for is Sergio Aguero, he earns a very good living courtesy of an English side and this puts him in an awkward position.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If they decided to invade the falklands now I think we would find it very difficult to kick them out with no Aircraft carriers,Harriers etc,

Have you seen the size of the Queen Elizabeth due to be launched very shortly? We also have an airfield and a big base there now, so the seapower is not needed as much as it was in 1982.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Have you seen the size of the Queen Elizabeth due to be launched very shortly? We also have an airfield and a big base there now, so the seapower is not needed as much as it was in 1982.

The Queen Elizabeth won't be fully operational with fixed wing aircraft until 2020. There are 4 typhoons based on the islands though which are much more advanced than anything the Argentines could deploy. A submarine would deter any naval invasion. The Argentine military has been starved of resources and it's equipment is mostly obsolete compared to ours. That is why they are trying to get international support for their dubious claims as they know militarily they would be unable to retake the islands.

Had they cultivated the islanders politically rather than threatened them, I'm sure some diplomatic solution such as shared sovereignty could have been negotiated. Currently because of the Argentine rhetoric no Islander would consider agreeing to be governed from Buenos Aires. Given their basket case economy, who can blame them

Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and what did the Americans do - they went to war with Japan and bombed the **** out of them. If I was Britain's leader, I'd make it clear to Argentina that if they attacked the Falklands we'd bomb their mainland.

It is only when a wasp lands on your bollocks that you realise there is always another solution than using violence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here