Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Manager 2013

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Ask some real managers about that... hows oemthing works perfectly for one season and then BOOM they're sacked the following November. Morale is a fickle thing and one win can suddenly turnt hingsa rounf. Season in Blue Square we didnt win any othe first eight... 6 draws and two defeats and then didnt lose again until we wrapped up the title end of March.

Yes I've seen the pattern you describe regularly in other versions when promoting to a new league 3,4 or 5 spots above where the team started the save. The reason I'm grumpy is I can usually snap a team out of any mid-season slump in a few games, but in CLASSIC mode felt completely helpless. Might be missing stuff but all the many options available in the full game seemed to have been helpfully removed :( Any suggestions for when it happens again as the 'shouts' didn't seem to help (although I've not really got those sussed yet). Thus had a lot less satisfaction on 'solving' the issue as I would have if was down to me.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes I've seen the pattern you describe regularly in other versions when promoting to a new league 3,4 or 5 spots above where the team started the save. The reason I'm grumpy is I can usually snap a team out of any mid-season slump in a few games, but in CLASSIC mode felt completely helpless. Might be missing stuff but all the many options available in the full game seemed to have been helpfully removed :( Any suggestions for when it happens again as the 'shouts' didn't seem to help (although I've not really got those sussed yet). Thus had a lot less satisfaction on 'solving' the issue as I would have if was down to me.

Sorry mate... misunderstood... I wouldnt touch Classic mode with a bargepole!!!! Its the full game or nothing.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
BTW... anyone started a new game with Ulloa?

On the issue of injuries. I just started a non-playing game with the Albion and there were loads of injuries. It could either be because of the players the Albion has or the staff.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Me and my mate started a classic save the other day. We went for classic because I work shifts which change week by week and I might finish at 8pm every day one week then at 1am the next so classic allows us to keep the game going - he works 9-5 mon-fri.

He started as Oxford and tried to become Brighton Reserves/Rejects FC. Already has JFC, tried to get Harley, Brezovan and Sullivan to join. He's signed some real cracking players though including Liverpools Wisdom.

I on the otherhand am playing on a netbook so it takes too long to load up any players to scout so might have made slightly better signings. I have Julian Bennett on loan, Matty Derbyshire on loan and Kadeem Harris on loan, signed Danny Redmond from Wigan and Rob Lainton from Bolton. I'm playing as Rotherham.

3 games won, 1 lost. Lainton has saved two penalties so far, and the loss was a 1-0 game, the goal was a stunner.
Pete, the mate i'm playing with, has i think 10 points - 3 wins and a draw.

I've already won Manager of the Month for September. I was knocked out of the league cup against Tranmere, Pete progressed and lost 3-1 to West Brom.

I'm feeling confident but i'm thinking of signing a loan center midfielder to go with Arrnson in January. I still have 40k left in the transfer fund AND 1k wages so should pick up some one decent from league 1 reserves for that price. I play a 4-5-1, with the wingers set to playing a free role and the CDM as a holding midfielder. I play through the middle and then rely on ground play between the wingers, striker and one of the two CDM's to break down the defence and find a gap.

lastyboy

Jan 26, 2012
Lewes East Sussex
What was the error message? Anything to do with 'xml line not well formed' (or something along those lines) by any chance?

it was an error message and looking online seemed a common fault. i had to verify the files through steam and something needed updating. worked fine after that, i was relieved as i was just starting my fourth season with the albion and got them in the champions league. if only reality was as simple as fm hahaha

So despite my previous complaining I persevered with FM13 and have yet again got addicted to it! My previous criticism still stands though - IMHO the match engine is a massive regression, much worse than last year and reminds me of the first iteration teething problems. Defending players have a tendency to complete ignore the ball in a rush to get into position when the other team are passing it around, crosses (particularly from the byline) are far too successful and impossible to defend against and players (particularly wingers) take ridiculous longshots that end up near the corner flag far too often.

Anyway, on to the interesting bit...
Started with Brighton. Didn't make too many changes in the first season - bought in Steven Mouyokolo, the centre half from Wolves, for £600k and a Brazilian winger, Madson, on a Bosman in January from Santos, shipping out Brezovan, Harley (loan) and Sparrow. Played 4-1-2-2-1 and absolutely dominated the Championship - finished top with 110 points. CMS was top scorer with 17 league goals and David weighed in with 14 from the right wing. Made it to the quarter final of the league cup where I lost to eventual winners Wolves, and got knocked out of the FA cup in the 4th round away to Stoke.

Second season, and I had some serious work to do to make the squad competitive. Sold £16m worth of my squad, including CMS (£3.1m to Blackpool), David (£3m, Blackpool), Barnes, Dicker (£1.5m each, Birmingham), Madson (Reading, £2m), Greer (£1.4m, Watford) and Harley (£1m). Re-signed Wayne Bridge, bought in James Husband from Doncaster (£500k + Painter) as competition, Chris Solley (£3m, Charlton) as first choice RB, Will Hughes (Derby, £4.5m), Championship top scorer Charlie Austin (£6m, Burnley), Gary Madine (Wednesday, £2.3m), Christian Tello (free, Barcelona B) and Zeki Fryers (Standard) and Thomas Necid (CSKA Moscow) on loan.

Playing the same formation, despite struggling for goals we played well and were mid-table in December; we tended to beat the teams below us at home and draw a lot away (snatching the odd victory) while being trashed by the good teams above us. Tony Bloom then handed me another £11.5m in the January window, which I used to complete the permanent signing of my two loan players (£1.5m each), Jacob Mellis (£2.7m, Barnsley), centre half Andreu Fontas (£2.1m, Barca B) and, most amazingly, striker Alberto Paloschi from AC Milan for a bargain £2.9m. I'm now at the end of March 2014, having lost the league cup final to Man City, with an FA Cup semi-final on the horizon against Spurs and sitting pretty 7th in the league. Paloschi has been amazing, hitting 10 goals from 12 starts so far. My best result was a 3-1 victory over Chelsea at the Amex, with Paloschi hitting 2 and Mellis the other.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
BTW... anyone started a new game with Ulloa?

On the issue of injuries. I just started a non-playing game with the Albion and there were loads of injuries. It could either be because of the players the Albion has or the staff.

Not yet but first day the January update hits I stop my BSS save and start a Brighton one :thumbsup:

The good form carried me into 5th place (bottom play-off spot) and I managed to scrape the usual predictable play-off semi pattern in FM games of 3-1 home win against Stockport then oh look away they get 2 ridiculous goals early and I'd be out on away goals, I batter on them until the 85th minute and score a goal to put me through. Every time it's 3-1 I swear you know what's going to happen.

Final was a tense affair. Forest Green who'd beat me on pens in the FA trophy final last season had shed load of injuries but clung onto a flukey 1-1 with my dominant Gus-bus team, but I then hit them with a couple of goals in injury time to get the most undeserved promotion ever.

1st season in BSP I was 2nd way ahead of all but Dagenham and failed, this season amazingly lucky to scrape 5th yet gone up alongside Gillingham who's manager despite winning league by over 20 points and winning FA trophy, lost out to me for manager of the year because my team must be considered gash by the press :shrug:

Board have ordered a new 10.75M stadium............ with 7.4k capacity :facepalm: and after 1 good youth both previous intakes I got F-all this time. See how we get on though.

And yes I'll NEVER be doing CLASSIC EVER EVER ever again! But not going to give up yet till the patch is released ;)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Ryes firsts eason in league football, I could say, is going great. Were top after sixteen games but we have a tendency to throw away wins. 8-7-1 and a point clear. Desperately in need of a left wing striker. League cup first timers came back in last ten minutes to bear Birmingham away 2-1 but then lost 3-2 to prem Norwich at home. Were in both games but were lucky to really.

Onwards and upwards....

Pole in Goal

Aug 14, 2012
BN1
England level 9 + real club and competition names for FM13

Includes the Sussex county leagues too - not the County Cup though, though you could probably add that in on the editor if you can be bothered.

Thanks very much only just seen this. I have a problem however, I cannot follow step 3 as I don't understand how I get the option to change my database to come up, if you or anyone could be of any assistance this would be greatly appreciated!

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Currently playing as York City. At Christmas I was top of league 2 by about 12 points and cruising, not even sure how. Then by the end of the season I had dropped down to 7th (had the worse second half to a season), just scraping in to play offs on the final day. Knocked Wycombe out 3-2 on aggregate in semi's (1-0 at home then 2-2 at their place). Won the final 3-2 after extra time against Bradford with Matty Blair getting me a hatrick (bout the only thing he did all season!).

Found it funny that AFC Wimbledon won the legue, and Port Vale went down. Whereas tonight in real life it's AFC Wimbledon in the relegation zone and Port Vale the league leaders!

Find injuries are still too common on the game, as well as scoring from crosses.

So now in league 1, currently sitting 19th after 12 games. Oh, and Palace got relegated too and are in league 1 as well!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Sounding good Sten :)

Eastbourne have won both their games so far in L2 but I'm not sure improved the first team much on last season. Better back-ups and some promising potential youngsters realeased by likes of Sheff Utd and Birmingham. We had same budget as season before due to the board spunking on a new stadium, yet all our wages went up 25% with promotion so can afford less with the same money, in a harder league.

Bridcutt is as Celtic and Brighton got relegated to L1. My first competitive game of the season they beat me 3-0 at the Amex in the League Cup, but I was more fussed about the 2 games after in the league tbh

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Very bad news, my Whitehawk went into administration and I ended up with 2 players - like a virtual non-league Portsmouth !!

Got sacked because of it so its the end of that game - need a new team which isn't Brighton or Whitehawk !!

Might attempt the MLS !!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Very bad news, my Whitehawk went into administration and I ended up with 2 players - like a virtual non-league Portsmouth !!

Got sacked because of it so its the end of that game - need a new team which isn't Brighton or Whitehawk !!

Might attempt the MLS !!

I holidayed the first season to get FC United. They are good to manage as big support and a large ground for a non league outit- not a massive budget initially but the balance sheet always looks healthy and making a profit.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Thanks very much only just seen this. I have a problem however, I cannot follow step 3 as I don't understand how I get the option to change my database to come up, if you or anyone could be of any assistance this would be greatly appreciated!

when you start a new game there should be an option saying how many database files you have loaded up. if you have put the level 9+ databasei n the right place, when you start a new game it should already be loaded, so make sure when youre selecting leagues at the beginning you hit the england drop down and make sure they are all there

Pole in Goal

Aug 14, 2012
BN1
when you start a new game there should be an option saying how many database files you have loaded up. if you have put the level 9+ databasei n the right place, when you start a new game it should already be loaded, so make sure when youre selecting leagues at the beginning you hit the england drop down and make sure they are all there

Thanks this worked but there was a error about 0 teams being relegated and 6 teams promoted, something that other people said they got, probably just gonna leave it and carry on with my BHA save

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Thanks this worked but there was a error about 0 teams being relegated and 6 teams promoted, something that other people said they got, probably just gonna leave it and carry on with my BHA save

Did you try my earlier link for download? Im in my 7th season and have had no problems.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I decided to give FM2013 another go and I'm actually starting to enjoy it. I pretty much gutted the squad this time around.

Players sold:

Vicente (£3m to Vitesse)
Barnes (£1m to Watford)
Ankergren and Brez (350k each)
Vincelot, Harley, Dicker, Painter and Sparrow all gone.

By the time I was done I'd made a little over £6m in sales. Bought in Jamie Mackie from QPR for £3m who went on to score the winner in the first game of the season against Palace. Instant fan favourite. Also loaned in Mouyokolo and brought in a Romanian winger I forget the name of, an AMC called Adryan for £875k over 48 months (flair) and looking to find someone to act as cover for Bridge.

I don't get to play much but I've gone through pre-season winning 4 out of 6 and the two I lost were to a couple of top Spanish teams and have won both my Championship fixtures (1-0 vs Palace and 3-0 vs Sheff Weds) Also beat Yeovil in the Capital One Cup.

I've found the match engine to be much better if you watch it old-school, with the top down view and the little circles dashing about. Takes away the "ice-skating" players shown on the 3D match engine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here