Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League Show

GAZTASTIC

Sep 17, 2010
HOVE - JUST
I see they couldn't hekp perpetuating the lie about Brighton's 'finances' - twice in one show. However they didn't seem to find it necessary to say it in conjunction with the scummers.

They also entended the rumour about Dicker into Brighton 'turning down a bid - because they could afford to'.

Pair of prats.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we probably are amongst the big spenders but just not as wasteful with our finances as Southampton and Huddersfield and unlike Bournemouth we no longer sell every player we receive a bid for. I think we need to accept that we are now financially big hitters in this division.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Whilst our fortunes have changed, what I find most annoying is that our good housekeeping over the last 14 years has generally been ignored. Whilst some of the clubs in trouble, who the show appears to have sympathy for, have tried to chase success at all costs we have achieved it in the last ten years despite not following the same path.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
i didn't like their f***ing tone! ...we DO have money, of course we do with Bloom behind us - but they were very blase about how they reported it and of course they made us sound like some kind of wanton man city type club, which we are not. in the end, commentators and critics will not always qualify our success and recent good fortune with the back story of many years perjury... they need new angles. proud to have predicted and be part of a binfest over their still snarky f***ing comments.
i remain sensitive about it all. we are not in our new home yet... maybe in 3 years of success i'll not get pissed off by their crap.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Whilst our fortunes have changed, what I find most annoying is that our good housekeeping over the last 14 years has generally been ignored. Whilst some of the clubs in trouble, who the show appears to have sympathy for, have tried to chase success at all costs we have achieved it in the last ten years despite not following the same path.

Exactly - Southampton, Leeds, Pompey etc aren't hard done by, they're irresponsible clubs who wrecklessly gamble on their futures without any regard for the wider implications. I have no sympathy for them, only for their creditors who get a few pence in the pound when the clubs go in to administration.

GAZTASTIC

Sep 17, 2010
HOVE - JUST
Agreed, it was the way it was commented on. I'd be interested in the stats - net outlay on players, wage bill and number of players in the squad. We certainly must rank below scummers, Sheff Wed, Huddersfeld and possibly Posh?. I guess it makes Gus a better manager still.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think the definition of being financially well off has lowered a lot in recent times. If a club has spent a few hundred thousand whilst also able to turn down bids of circa £1m, then you're considered one of the top end clubs. It's not limited to just spending millions anymore

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I made the mistake of watching the Football League show "live" last night instead of recorded, and so could not escape the patter between the highlights - Claridge, Maniche and Lizzie were so teeth-grindingly BORING I had to give up and go to bed, they just go on and on and on and on. Utter drivel. I'll watch the rest of it later with the luxury of the FF button, it really is unwatchable otherwise.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly - Southampton, Leeds, Pompey etc aren't hard done by, they're irresponsible clubs who wrecklessly gamble on their futures without any regard for the wider implications. I have no sympathy for them, only for their creditors who get a few pence in the pound when the clubs go in to administration.

To be fair to SCC (although I don't know why I should be) their takeover did clear their debts so the creditors got paid in full. You're right about the other two.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Getting angry because commentators are lumping us with big spending teams is a bit precious now imo. We ARE big spenders if not on players then on the ground, to expect commentators to go into great detail on poor hard done by Albion when they are making general comments is not realistic. Those days are gone, move on, the club is.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Getting angry because commentators are lumping us with big spending teams is a bit precious now imo. We ARE big spenders if not on players then on the ground, to expect commentators to go into great detail on poor hard done by Albion when they are making general comments is not realistic. Those days are gone, move on, the club is.

It's a fair point. "Outsiders" don't see us as a club to have sympathy with, they see 1st in L1 for 20 weeks, 22.5k stadium around the corner with no interest to pay. No other club has such good prospects.

The stadium funding where we do not have to pay any interest on £93M puts us ahead of almost every other club who have spent money on a new stadium.

All told, we are a different club now, get used to it :)

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
If we do win the league or at least get promoted, no one can accuse us of buying the title or anything that moves (Leeds, Saints etc). Its been nice to be able to buy a few players this season, but we have still been priced out of some transfers whereas Saints etc continue to spend and pay high wages. So far, the moral high ground is ours and will make promotion all the sweeter if we finish above Saints, Huddersfield and the like.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Oh, and FL show is truly dire. That bird is so annoying. She tries to cram all her bit into 30 seconds and sounds crap. Claridge makes Mark Lawrenson look and sound interesting. Never watch it live, only the following morning and jump straight to 45 mins in. Seems to be roughly where the albion feature each week.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Claridge's entire punditry just consists of him commenting on a team's success according to the size of their club.

Manish - "Such and such are doing well aren't they?"

Claridge - "..Well, they're a big club for that level, and with the money they have behind them, *pulls strange grimacing face*, you'd expect them to do well". OR "..With all due respect, they're among the smaller clubs in that league, with not so big a budget, so you have to give credit to the manager".. and so on. It's all he ever does.

You'd think a professional pundit employed by the BBC would be able to use a few more interesting angles.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't think we've spent anywhere near the likes of Hudds and SCC - SCC paid £1mil for Lambert. We're just a better team and have bought shrewdly.

I'm sure with the sale on Crofts etc we've only spent a little on our squad - prob less overall than SCC paid for Lambert. Didn't we also pay a lot of dolla for the likes of Murray and Davies well before the Bloom era too?! f*** off FLS, we've done very well because of hard work and a good manager - not just having a BIT to spend.

Yes we have finances that paid for the stadium which is great and where this untrue tag has come from originally...

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I made the mistake of watching the Football League show "live" last night instead of recorded, and so could not escape the patter between the highlights - Claridge, Maniche and Lizzie were so teeth-grindingly BORING I had to give up and go to bed, they just go on and on and on and on. Utter drivel. I'll watch the rest of it later with the luxury of the FF button, it really is unwatchable otherwise.

Agreed. It's the bland leading the bland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here