Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League Show

According to the 2005 offside law clarifications: "Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate."

Later it was also added that: "A player in an offside position may be penalised before playing or touching the ball if, in the opinion of the referee, no other team-mate in an onside position has the opportunity to play the ball.

"If an opponent becomes involved in the play and if, in the opinion of the referee, there is potential for physical contact, the player in the offside position shall be penalised for interfering with an opponent."

Clearly, Barnes did not touch the ball in this passage of play, Sparrow was in an onside position and had an opportunity to play the ball, and there is not the potential for Barnes to physically interfere with an opponent. So we're in the clear!
:albion1:
It amazes me how many people watch as much football as they do and are still unaware of the rules. If the ball had been played to the corner flag for Barnes to chase, the lino would have waited until he touched the ball before flagging. It happens every week. 5 years on and still people howl for offside when it happens.

Socky

Sockmonster
Jun 24, 2008
Brighton
According to the 2005 offside law clarifications: "Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate."

Later it was also added that: "A player in an offside position may be penalised before playing or touching the ball if, in the opinion of the referee, no other team-mate in an onside position has the opportunity to play the ball.

"If an opponent becomes involved in the play and if, in the opinion of the referee, there is potential for physical contact, the player in the offside position shall be penalised for interfering with an opponent."

Clearly, Barnes did not touch the ball in this passage of play, Sparrow was in an onside position and had an opportunity to play the ball, and there is not the potential for Barnes to physically interfere with an opponent. So we're in the clear!
:albion1:

Thanks for explaining the rule. I must admit I have never fully understood what "interfering with play" means. I have always simply looked at a situation and used common sense to decide whether I thought a player was interfering. My comment that I thought Barnes may be interfering was based on the the fact that the defender nearest to him is clearly marking him. If Barnes had not been there then that defender could have been marking Sparrow as well and that may have had an effect on Sparrow and his ability to receive the pass, run on, shoot etc. On that basis I believed it was interference. But according to the rules I guess it is not. All about interpretation in the end.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Indeed. Here's the proof:

That's superb! Can someone please post that on the Swindon forum and shut the farmers up? :moo:

However, I still can't get over just how shit the Football League Show actually is. I think I actually preferred watching The Championship on ITV, even with all the adverts and Matt 'I...can't...say...a....proper....sentence.....' Smith. A woman reading out emails from football supporters doesn't work on any level - even when the ones that are read out tend to be pretencious shit anyway. Just show the goals.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
When they put the match highlights up on the Brighton/Swindon page of the BBC Sport website there will be extended highlights, usually around 2 and a half minutes so guess we'll see more action then. Should be up later today I'd have thought.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks for explaining the rule. I must admit I have never fully understood what "interfering with play" means.

Massive respect to you! The world would be a much better place if more people owned up to stuff. :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here