Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League 125 Poll

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Really! Which games were they and were they really more miserable than losing to Palace and seeing them disappear into the horizon where the streets are paved with gold?

That would be most of the first half of the 1986-87 season, my first season watching the Albion. God it was dire.

*I do KNOW he was our greatest manager, of course.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
47% each after my vote for the mighty Mullers. Those with a reasonable knowledge of our club's history would know that Mullers is the only logical option.

Trouble is,
1, many newer web-savvy younger fans likely to vote in such polls will have no memories of Mullers

2, this is the perfect poll to be sabotaged by C******* P***** fans.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That would be most of the first half of the 1986-87 season, my first season watching the Albion. God it was dire.

That wasn't good, I agree. You arrived on the scene about 10 year too late!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yes he saved us at the death having virtually had us relegated so he wasnt a very good manager in general terms, although it must be said that he was working under great pressure and constraints.

Utterly daft.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Trouble is,
1, many newer web-savvy younger fans likely to vote in such polls will have no memories of Mullers

2, this is the perfect poll to be sabotaged by C******* P***** fans.

I agree. What a great shame.

Mullers really didn't like Palace / Venables! Another reason to vote for him. I really don't think Gus ever really understood the rivalry (to be fair, this is totally understandable).

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
49-44 to Gus now.

i voted Mullery

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

I don't get this. How can you possibly isolate the first half of 1986/87 as dire when we were 15th (eight points clear of relegation) when Mullery was sacked in January 1987 and then spent over three months to record a win after Barry Lloyd was appointed?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
47% for both again. It would be an absolute travesty if Mullers doesn't win IMHO. Know your history!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
When Mullery was in charge there was a far more level playing field financially across all divisions. There were no parachute payments, Sky TV cash pushing top flight wages through the roof etc and making it harder for sides coming up through the leagues to attract top quality players.

I am not saying it was at all EASY to get a team up through the divisions. Of course it wasn't. But it was EASIER than today.

Probably tough to call between Mullery and Poyet (from the names on that list) but there is certainly not one who is CLEARLY ahead of the other.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Heart says Mullery, head says Poyet. Can't vote.

Head says Mullery.

Two promotions vs one.
Kept Albion safe in two seasons of top flight football vs none.

Plus he was so much more loyal to the club than Poyet ever was.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
When Mullery was in charge there was a far more level playing field financially across all divisions. There were no parachute payments, Sky TV cash pushing top flight wages through the roof etc and making it harder for sides coming up through the leagues to attract top quality players.

I am not saying it was at all EASY to get a team up through the divisions. Of course it wasn't. But it was EASIER than today.

Probably tough to call between Mullery and Poyet (from the names on that list) but there is certainly not one who is CLEARLY ahead of the other.

Whilst I agree with the suggestion it was easier, the fact is that Mullery achieved the top flight, Gus did not, despite far more resources. No contest.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Head says Mullery.

Two promotions vs one.
Kept Albion safe in two seasons of top flight football vs none.

Plus he was so much more loyal to the club than Poyet ever was.

This. CLEAR winner is Mullery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here