Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Football is never meant to be like this"

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And why was it rushed? Because people moaning it took too long.

We've now gone back to taking longer and it it's too long again.
But the point is, that the people who are saying we need to keep VAR because it improves decision making but speed it up are asking for an option which isn't there.

If you are going to be forensic, then forensics take time. That's why courtroom trials last for weeks.

The people who man VAR, aren't being deliberately slow or deliberately s*** (no matter how much it sometimes feels like it). They are carrying out a laborious process. To examine the replays from the many angles available multiple times is slow.

So to those who think, "ahh VAR is new, it will speed up over time". Well sorry, it won't. Concievably they could improve some tech and shave 1% here or 2% there, but ultimately, this slowness is priced into VAR and you need to accept that if you want to argue to keep it

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i for one am just pleased VAR has been such a success in ending debate about contoversial events and questioning officials decisions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think plenty of people would say the Newcastle goal WAS a bad VAR decision.
The ball out of play decision was quite possibly ok. The offside too. But a lot or people would have given the push on the defender as a foul, and said so as pundits and so on.
I'm sure the ball didn't go out of play. It looks like it wasn't offside either. Yes it may have been a foul, but VAR isn't supposed to give that unless it's a clear and obvious error. Was it that bad of a foul? It was no Onana against Wolves, that's for sure.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm sure the ball didn't go out of play. It looks like it wasn't offside either. Yes it may have been a foul, but VAR isn't supposed to give that unless it's a clear and obvious error. Was it that bad of a foul? It was no Onana against Wolves, that's for sure.
The hand ball was the 4th reason to disallow it

The rule changed 2 years ago.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
In your example the ref, not being in the players brain, has got to look at it and infer the intent to commit serious foul play from the action. There still has to be sanction for the player acting recklessly, as in your example. He's gone for the ball, but not in a "normal" way.

Rashford, neither had any intent to hurt the player, nor was acting in a reckless way (or maybe better wording is, he didn't carry out any action which was not normal for the purposes of winning the ball)

The laws shouldn't have a situation where you can get a red for just trying to play normally and you catch someone you don't even see
In other words, completely arbitrary and personal opinion.

Very few challenges are made with the conscious intention of inflicting damage on an opponent. But players have varying levels of cautiousness and experience regarding the risks involved in a particular challenge. They go in, usually because there's a risk that the other team are mounting an advantage. If they decide to go in, they hope (and probably assume) that they'll get the ball and there'll be no bad consequences. At what point this changes to carelessness, then recklessness, then full intent, is impossible to say even with multiple replays, and certainly so for the referee in real time.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
But the point is, that the people who are saying we need to keep VAR because it improves decision making but speed it up are asking for an option which isn't there.

If you are going to be forensic, then forensics take time. That's why courtroom trials last for weeks.

The people who man VAR, aren't being deliberately slow or deliberately s*** (no matter how much it sometimes feels like it). They are carrying out a laborious process. To examine the replays from the many angles available multiple times is slow.

So to those who think, "ahh VAR is new, it will speed up over time". Well sorry, it won't. Concievably they could improve some tech and shave 1% here or 2% there, but ultimately, this slowness is priced into VAR and you need to accept that if you want to argue to keep it
I'm one of those people saying we need to keep VAR but make the process more efficient. This will mean changing the procedures and repositioning VAR so that it's used in fewer situations. Remember that the original idea was to use it for "clear and obvious errors". This is the fundamental problem with VAR. It's quickly moved into on-pitch referees delegating decisions to VAR which was the opposite of the plan. Again, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. VAR is very useful -- but must be used sparingly, and more effectively.

And I don't think the VAR process is so laborious that it takes 5 or 6 minutes. It's slow because they are scared of getting it wrong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The hand ball was the 4th reason to disallow it

The rule changed 2 years ago.
Was there a deliberate handball? (since the scorer didn't touch it)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Instead of var the camera should pick me out of the crowd and I will do the thumbs up/down thing like in gladiator.

I promise to be fair and impartial.
We can only hope you're as fair and impartial as Commodus

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Has anyone else noticed the general split between armchair ‘fans’ and people who actually go to games on VAR? I have friends who are armchair premier league fans and think VAR is great with all the ‘drama’ it creates. But they’ve never sat in a stadium wondering what the hell is going on for 6 minutes after they’ve celebrated a goal.
I go to games and think PGMOL refs are crap so VAR needed but it needs to improve and that will only come with transparency re the decision making and requires release of all audio.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I’m no fan of Arsenal or Arteta, but that was a clear foul on Gabriel. Every ex-player pundit has said so since, listening/watching to MOTD, R5 and TS. On Monday evening Mark Chapman on the MNC was disappointed that the studio team all concurred.

These errors has always occurred in football. It’s the incompetence/lack of bottle from the armchair VAR official to call it a clear error and a foul, that’s startling.

But Arteta didn’t know the fine detail at his rant, wildly insinuating a catalogue of errors, he was wrong.
Not according to the PL key incident panel

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Well done to the officials in Amsterdam/VAR tonight.

A bank of 20,000 whinging Ajax supporters were moaning minnies, screaming for pens and allsorts.

The officials professional shut out the home noise. Exemplary.

Allsorts.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
very welcome relief to actually just enjoy the football tonight, without endless VAR crap, hairs-breadth lines and incompetent refereeing
Lucky we're not Liverpool fans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here