Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football is a results business

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I couldn't agree more, I would rather see us relegated playing like we are than staying up playing the embarrassing football of last season. Thing is playing like we are the results will come and I have little doubt that we will stay up. TB is looking forward to greater and better times, and judging by the management so far this will happen. What a time to be in the youth squad.

I dont agree with that and I dont think TBs bank manager would either. I would think the chance of staying up would be greater last season than this as we look very pretty between the two penalty boxes but poor in them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I dont agree with that and I dont think TBs bank manager would either. I would think the chance of staying up would be greater last season than this as we look very pretty between the two penalty boxes but poor in them.

Lol....TB Being bothered what his bank manager(S) thought...have we really been poor in our own box?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
We hear this a lot. Often just before a manager is sacked for failing to keep a team in the league or when you've just lost to your biggest rivals.

I tend to agree that football is all about results, but for me, it's not all about "the result".

I get out of my seat watching open, attacking, flair football. Players expressing themselves and daring to take a risk. The result for me is a feeling of exhilaration.

I love that feeling when the ball hits the net and you sometimes hear that "zzzzzttt" noise of the ball on the plastic strings of the net. And this one doesn't even need to be in a football stadium - it could just as easily happen in Hove Park. The result is a buzz.

I treasure the time at a game with my friends - many of whom I have found through football. The result is a sense of belonging.

I embrace both the promotions and the relegations and try to follow Kipling's maxim of "treating them both the same. The result is emotion.

I revel in the songs, the chants and the verbal exchanges typically found only in football grounds. The camaraderie and the pantomime villains. The result is laughter (and often a sore throat).

Football gives me permission to be irresponsible and foolish. It says "go on, be your true self for 90 minutes". The result of that is pure joy.

So yes, football is all about results. And the results for me are rarely about the actual result. Football is a unique gift and the results are exhilaration, a buzz, a sense of belonging, connecting with my emotions, laughter and joy.

All very eloquent and poetic but all it needed was a "jumpers for goalposts" to be one long nostalgic cliché .

Sorry mate, but it isn't Sport with the connotations of fair play and altruism, it is an Entertainment with the fakery and the vaccuous pr**ks.

Yes, the goal going in or the chant catching around the ground might bring a tear to the eye or a lump to the throat for those of us in the ground, but don't make the mistake of believing that it is for us.

We are not the supporters, nor are we even customers, we are the extras, paying for the privilege of being the back drop to the multi-millionare, media aware, player's goal celebration being shown on tv. It may be special for us but we are not special to them.

(Feeling quite cynical today apparently)

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
The biggest difference between this season and last season is that I give us a chance at getting something at Chelsea today.

Last season a win by Chelsea would have have been the first entry on the accumulator.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We hear this a lot. Often just before a manager is sacked for failing to keep a team in the league or when you've just lost to your biggest rivals.

I tend to agree that football is all about results, but for me, it's not all about "the result".

I get out of my seat watching open, attacking, flair football. Players expressing themselves and daring to take a risk. The result for me is a feeling of exhilaration.

I love that feeling when the ball hits the net and you sometimes hear that "zzzzzttt" noise of the ball on the plastic strings of the net. And this one doesn't even need to be in a football stadium - it could just as easily happen in Hove Park. The result is a buzz.

I treasure the time at a game with my friends - many of whom I have found through football. The result is a sense of belonging.

I embrace both the promotions and the relegations and try to follow Kipling's maxim of "treating them both the same. The result is emotion.

I revel in the songs, the chants and the verbal exchanges typically found only in football grounds. The camaraderie and the pantomime villains. The result is laughter (and often a sore throat).

Football gives me permission to be irresponsible and foolish. It says "go on, be your true self for 90 minutes". The result of that is pure joy.

So yes, football is all about results. And the results for me are rarely about the actual result. Football is a unique gift and the results are exhilaration, a buzz, a sense of belonging, connecting with my emotions, laughter and joy.

You'll love VAR then...NOT. The exhilaration and emotion you speak of died in 2019

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

It's all about winning and money. Everything else is irrelevant. This is just a spin for the current manager who is extremely weak tactically.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I find that the more I analyse why I go to football matches, spend a small fortune in the process, have loyalty to a particular club and players that I in no way control but whose results and off-field decisions impact on my mood and general wellbeing, the more nonsensical it all seems.

I try not to think too much about it, for obvious reasons.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Let me know how you feel when BHA are in NLS.

The Albion will have a true rivalry with Dorking Wanderers.

Last edited:

boik

It's all about winning and money. Everything else is irrelevant. This is just a spin for the current manager who is extremely weak tactically.

In YOUR OPINION. I love watching kids playing football in the park. Certainly no-one there doing it for money. It's a beautiful game - almost the perfect game. It's a team game in which individuals can change the whole thing with a moment of magic. It involves strength and speed, but doesn't depend upon it. There is some advanced planning and tactics, but it usually doesn't dominate the game. It has it's faults but it is better than any other sport I can think of and I love it!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

what a lot of bollox.
you are a lunatic, why do you follow football, nothing else to do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here