Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football gone soft.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
He Intentionally left his foot out but the keeper was too quick, Austin far too slow. For sure will get banned for a few games

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So BG would still be happy with Stephen Hunts challenge on Petr Cech on the basis that football would be soft if he hadn't nearly killed Cech.

Fortunately only a bad cut rather than a very serious head injury this time.
He could easily have avoided contact with the keeper.
Three game ban a certainty.

D

Deleted member 2719

I agree with football gone soft in general, but Austin deliberately left his foot in there to try and rough him up and hurt him.

Ban the wanker.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As football puts more and more focus on skill and playing football, clamping down on tackling from behind, holding at corners, going over the ball, sliding in taking everything out hoping to get 'enough of the ball' I think it exposes the English game as not the bastion of honour and integrity some believe it to be while they decry the cheating diving johnny foreigner.

Accuse a player of diving? How dare you! Questioning my players' honesty and integrity! My player deliberately fouling their guy on the halfway line (i.e. deliberately breaking the laws of the game to gain an advantage you wouldn't otherwise deserve, that is to say 'cheating')? Well, that's 'taking one for the team' there's honour in that! We're not allowed to hold players at corners anymore, well how can we defend? Not allowed to kick someone in the face? Football's gone soft! They're making this a non-contact sport! The same generation of pundits blaming foreigners for bringing diving into our game are the same that talk about managers being disappointed if players don't lunge in and take a player out to stop the last man, or brag about how in their day they'd leave a foot in, 'let them know they're in a game', etc.

English football isn't a bastion of honesty and fair play, we just prefer our cheating to involve violence.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
am beginning to hate this retrospective banning of players caught on tv. The pundits opinions seem to over rule everything. The very same pundits that have always had a history of being very bias. How can they be 100% sure they are right I couldn't. I have seen the Austin incident am fairly sure he will be banned. Am also fairly unsure weather it was deliberate just like the Hemed ban earlier in the season. Neither in my opinion were deliberate how can the FA panel be so sure they were?

They can’t be sure. But they need to make sure other players don’t do it and then claim it was accidental. Austin may not have meant to hurt the keeper but he had the opportunity not to flick out his boot because the keeper had the ball under control. Austin knew that. And with Hemed, I’ve no doubt it wasn’t malicious but he could have put his foot elsewhere. He decided not to.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All these differing opinions.

If only we had VARs in place to sort it out immediately there and then eh.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
They can’t be sure. But they need to make sure other players don’t do it and then claim it was accidental. Austin may not have meant to hurt the keeper but he had the opportunity not to flick out his boot because the keeper had the ball under control. Austin knew that. And with Hemed, I’ve no doubt it wasn’t malicious but he could have put his foot elsewhere. He decided not to.
I honestly think without being bias Hemed lifted his leg over the players other leg and wasn't to know his stamped on leg was even there. He was just trying to clear him and following play

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My point which seems to have been missed is that I believe it is wrong to charge a player based on TV seen later at different speeds etc. Had the ref considered it dangerous he would have taken action at the time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So if the ref didn't see it it's OK?

I am old fashioned and believe that it is one of the refs prime tasks to look out for such incidents in game. If you can help him by bringing in VAR so much to the good. But do not take action based on a TV program 6 hours later that has no standing in football in relation to rules etc other than showing highlights to promote their program and justify the viewing figures.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's nice to know exactly where I stand on an issue, before I actually know what it is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My point which seems to have been missed is that I believe it is wrong to charge a player based on TV seen later at different speeds etc. Had the ref considered it dangerous he would have taken action at the time.

Nonsense. It’s great that cowardice and nastiness missed is still looked at later on. Gives further protection to players by acting as a further deterrant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here