Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Football fans spending millions on club crypto-tokens

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Interesting take on this. I won't say who I work for but we're making millions teaming up with clubs, athletes, celebrities, brands etc helping them to navigate this space. It's big business.

Same in the music industry.

It's putting a lot more power and financial freedom into the hands of the artists.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It’s also unregulated and values can plummet very quickly !

No different to any class of collectables.

Stamps, Coins, Sporting Cards.

NFTs fall into the same category. Just in this case you don't use cash to buy something you use a cryptocurrency.

When stamps values go down does anyone man about it not being regulated?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tony Bloom only bets when the odds are in his favour. I would think that Crypto is much too volatile for his tastes and I would be surprised if he went anywhere near it to be honest.

Smart hedging could ensure his bet came in whether number go up or number go down. Some hedge funds already do this

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Crypto currencies in general are either the future or a trap. There is no way of telling yet.

Crypto "fan tokens" however... is a trap/scam.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
If you are making millions it’s probably a good reason fans shouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

Are you making money from your season ticket then?

Because it's based on blockchain doesn't mean it needs to be traded like crypto.

Think of your season ticket as an NFT, you pay your £800 and it gets you into every home game. It's digital, stored in a wallet on your phone... sounds familiar right? Now think you could 'level up' your NFT and get the Harvey's or Piglets version, it'll cost you £500 more, but at the till, scan it in and you get free drinks and/or pies. Cool huh? Now thing for £1500 there's a Bruno BHAFC NFT, as well as your season ticket, it gets you access to the legend himself, whether at a training session or in the club players lounge.

NFTs can be more than a crypto punk hot potato where the person left holding it looses their shirt.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I don’t have any NFTs but I compare owning original digital copy of something to owning the original watercolour. There is only one. A high quality print in a frame will look basically the same as the original piece of art but people still want to hold the original. NFTs could become huge. As I said before - once my kids (currently 13,11,11) are the adults of the day then digital currency will become huge. They will demand it whereas the current people with money don’t. It takes time.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I don’t have any NFTs but I compare owning original digital copy of something to owning the original watercolour. There is only one. A high quality print in a frame will look basically the same as the original piece of art but people still want to hold the original. NFTs could become huge. As I said before - once my kids (currently 13,11,11) are the adults of the day then digital currency will become huge. They will demand it whereas the current people with money don’t. It takes time.

Not everyone sees NFTs that way…..

https://twitter.com/smdiehl/status/1445795667826208770?s=21

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Tony Bloom, with his high stakes betting syndicate generating a substantial amount of his wealth alongside other business investments, never allowed a commercial bookie near the Amex. I'd be very surprised if he'd integrate with Crypto.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Last edited by Bozza; Today at 09:36. Reason: Please do NOT copy and paste entire articles onto NSC

Sorry - it was the middle of the night and I didn't understand most of the article so didn't want to leave out something interesting. :nono:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yeah some people are bit ignorant about the possibilities. its funny how in the opening tweet misses out music, video, software etc that are intangible yet have very real value. a better example to the star registry would be the domain name registry. underneath NFT there is smart contracts and the potential for more sophisticated ownership and royalty models than possible conventionally. just because a particular NFT doesnt give ownership, doesnt mean it cant.

that said, buying collections of patterned images are a mugs game, low brow implementation of the tech.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Last edited by Bozza; Today at 09:36. Reason: Please do NOT copy and paste entire articles onto NSC

Sorry - it was the middle of the night and I didn't understand most of the article so didn't want to leave out something interesting. :nono:

S'ok. I can just do without the copyright claims I get when people do this! I'm not sure I've had one from the BBC, but you never know!

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Tony Bloom, with his high stakes betting syndicate generating a substantial amount of his wealth alongside other business investments, never allowed a commercial bookie near the Amex. I'd be very surprised if he'd integrate with Crypto.

We already did - we even got paid for the partnership in Bitcoin.

Albion chief executive Paul Barber said, “We are pleased to welcome eToro as a major new partner for the new season ahead and we are really excited to be working with them.

“We are keen to be at the forefront of bringing new technologies and new ideas to football and together with eToro we will be looking at how we may be able to utilise their experience and expertise to help the club progress in various different fields.”

UK managing director at eToro Iqbal Gandham added, “We are excited to become a major new partner to Brighton & Hove Albion. We believe that we are making history by being the first company ever to pay for a Premier League partnership in bitcoin.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

Albion chief executive Paul Barber said, “We are pleased to welcome eToro as a major new partner for the new season ahead and we are really excited to be working with them.

“We are keen to be at the forefront of bringing new technologies and new ideas to football and together with eToro we will be looking at how we may be able to utilise their experience and expertise to help the club progress in various different fields.”

UK managing director at eToro Iqbal Gandham added, “We are excited to become a major new partner to Brighton & Hove Albion. We believe that we are making history by being the first company ever to pay for a Premier League partnership in bitcoin.
Oh wow I didn't realise they were bitcoin. I stand corrected

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

That eToro thing always did smell like fish as soon as it was announced. Tho, if memory serves, it was a group EPL decision. Hope so. Else eToro shouldn't be let anywhere near our club or the club's fans/customers

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
That eToro thing always did smell like fish as soon as it was announced. Tho, if memory serves, it was a group EPL decision. Hope so. Else eToro shouldn't be let anywhere near our club or the club's fans/customers

I wonder how much they paid in Bitcoin. The deal was announced on 21st august 2018. Bitcoin cost c7,000 dollars then. It is currently at 50k. So whatever they paid we can times it by seven and pay some tax on it. Reasonable business.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
eToro is not bitcoin, its shares trading that includes a market for bitcoin. like saying a deal with Tesco means having a deal with Birdseye.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I went onto the Palace Site for the first time to ask about their feelings about the crypto & also the rivalry today .

I didn’t hide the fact I was a Brighton fan .

Most of the responses seem to agree that it isn’t something clubs should get involved in . Interestingly they also though the rivalry was manufactured to an extent and most of their more established older fans don’t really view Brighton as their big rivals .

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

It's not though really, because you don't own anything, just a bit of code. Everyone else can still 'own' the same image.
Have thought of it as nonsense ever since I first heard of it.

BBC News just now said the Albion are the only club that have responded to them on this.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's not though really, because you don't own anything, just a bit of code. Everyone else can still 'own' the same image.
Have thought of it as nonsense ever since I first heard of it.

BBC News just now said the Albion are the only club that have responded to them on this.

Most money is also just a bit of code. There's more money than cash and nowadays the amount of cash is not tied to the amount of the gold, so cash would also be useless unless there was an agreement that it isnt. If many people agree that Bitcoin has value, it will have value. Such is the rules of fiat money.

When it comes to Crystal Palace tokens, it is never going to be worth anything outside a very small group of people. While you might be able to buy a car with Bitcoin, good luck going to your local Chevrolet store and try to get the new Turboblaster X (no, I dont know anything about cars..) with Crystal Palace tokens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here