Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Fans BANNED from toilets for 160 miles!

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Obviously, doesnt reflect well on the services/police from that article (not that I am sure we're really getting the whole story!)

So, there was not a single junction on route where the coach could have pulled off at and found a lay-by on an A/B road to let the fans relieve themselves? hmmm.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, there was not a single junction on route where the coach could have pulled off at and found a lay-by on an A/B road to let the fans relieve themselves? hmmm.
They shouldn't have had to. Not that there's any guarantee the coach would have been allowed off anyway.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
They shouldn't have had to. Not that there's any guarantee the coach would have been allowed off anyway.

Of course (hence my first sentence that you didn't quote), however the practical and sensible things would be to come of at a junction and find a lay-by, public toilets or suchlike. Why/how(!) would anyone stop a coach coming off at a junction? They would not have police blocking every single junction on a motorway/A-road!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The article states a 4.5hr journey. Therefore surely the drivers would have been breaking the law going so long without break.

The story is probably not 100% accurate , no PSV driver is going to risk his license. But it all makes for good newspaper headlines. #tomorrowschipwrappers

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the practical and sensible things would be to come of at a junction and find a lay-by, public toilets or suchlike. Why/how(!) would anyone stop a coach coming off at a junction? They would not have police blocking every single junction on a motorway/A-road!!
The report said "The court papers allege the fans were kept on their coach for four and a half hours, the time it took to complete the 160-mile trip back from the Stadium of Light, as police blockaded sliproads and service station entrances." - so that's all exits.

If I was driving, and the passengers really needed the toilet, I imagine I'd have pulled over on approach to the service station and explained the problem to the police, and allowed the passengers to piss on the verge if given no alternative. I'd have also encouraged the passengers to video the police actions.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Look how angry the bloke looks in that photo.

has obviously affected him long term.

always the victims

The story is probably not 100% accurate , no PSV driver is going to risk his license. But it all makes for good newspaper headlines. #tomorrowschipwrappers

Personally I think it is important that this is challenged and discussed. We have enlightened policing at the Amex and we all benefit from the light touch. Clearly there are still issues around football and certain high profile games, but there are also plenty of examples where the response is disproportionate. I don't expect everyone to have sympathy with the Liverpool supporters here, but then ask yourself as a taxpayer, why we are footing the bill for this exercise. What were they trying to prevent exactly and was the response appropriate ? I can't think of a reasonable justification.

Recently I saw a report where Berkshire police described a sporting event, where 10 arrests were made in a crowd of 60,000 as uneventful, but then this was horse racing and not football.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Nothing less than I'd expect from you.

True to form a thumbs down from Husty. Well done you sad man. Also, nothing less than expected from him either.

No need to respond-your posts no longer pollute my NSC experience.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
True to form a thumbs down from Husty. Well done you sad man. Also, nothing less than expected from him either.

No need to respond-your posts no longer pollute my NSC experience.

To be fair it was a bit of a snidey comment.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Recently I saw a report where Berkshire police described a sporting event, where 10 arrests were made in a crowd of 60,000 as uneventful, but then this was horse racing and not football.
Assuming you mean Thames Valley, they like to arrest anything that moves in my experience!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here