Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football - does it make you happy?

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
I think this season is breaching our human rights, it's so tortuous being an Albion fan at the moment, I'm surprised Amnesty International are not getting involved. Keep the faith though, if we can stay up this season, I for one believe we are on the cusp of reaching heights never before achieved in our history.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Take the winning feeling all day long over a defeat , I guess today gives a few posters a huge downer , I doubt we'll see a Junior thread on how shit anyone was today , so whilst for the majority of us today is a good day , spare a thought for the energy sapping posters who live under the doom and gloom Bridge of life just hoping for another loss .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Going to matches - I enjoy whether we win or lose.

Watching on TV I detest watching us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is a great thread.

the only thing in life that gives me that adrenaline fuelled buzz, and it’s always been that way. I find your point about NSC very interesting and insightful because you’re right - when we lose, there’s something self-indulgently cathartic about venting my frustration out on here for a good 1-2 hours after the game. I come away feeling sadistically buzzed, which as a Christian is mildly concerning. In contrast today, though I feel great that we won, I spent 5 minutes posting after the game and then was very happy to log off and do something else

Isn’t that human nature though? We are far quicker to criticise and far slower to praise?

People, including me, love a good moan.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’ve personally found results having more bearing on my mood for the last year with all the covid shit and time indoors. I used to take defeats badly and really get irritable but kind of learnt to balance it as just a game etc and just as I grew older I learnt how to deal with disappointment in football. Still meaning the same to me, but just dealt with better. Found it hard the last year and slip back into that pattern of taking defeat badly - bring on 21st June :)

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I miss it when the season ends, I missed it when it stopped due to lockdown - without any football in I always feel something is missing and can’t wait for it to start again - so in general football does make me happier

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I’ve personally found results having more bearing on my mood for the last year with all the covid shit and time indoors. I used to take defeats badly and really get irritable but kind of learnt to balance it as just a game etc and just as I grew older I learnt how to deal with disappointment in football. Still meaning the same to me, but just dealt with better. Found it hard the last year and slip back into that pattern of taking defeat badly - bring on 21st June :)

I think you’re like me - affected by the negativity of others. I get disappointed by the response but often feel livid by the reaction of some of the support. Twitter is even worse.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes football makes me happy. Having a team to support makes me very happy. The fact that we have been quite good for over a decade makes me extremely happy.

I think football brings the highs and lows which are hard to re-create in any other part of your life.

I was lucky enough to go to the Hereford away game (well, sort of lucky) and the change of from unbridled despair at half time, to unmatchable joy, at the goal, to wanting to puke for the last 20 minutes, to an incredible outpouring of relief at the end ....... the local knitting club can't really match that to be honest.

Rather than happiness, it's best to think of every match as a 90 minute ticket outside of the banal normality of the everyday ... kind of like a seismograph during a 10 on the richter scale earthquake.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Take the winning feeling all day long over a defeat , I guess today gives a few posters a huge downer , I doubt we'll see a Junior thread on how shit anyone was today , so whilst for the majority of us today is a good day , spare a thought for the energy sapping posters who live under the doom and gloom Bridge of life just hoping for another loss .

Junior is currently banned, again.

I love it when he comes on NSC with a full frontal attack on Potter, popcorn time.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I am so jealous! I got about a hours sleep the night of the Palace game. The feeling of injustice really hurt
I’ve never been that bad, although I used to get more upset about losses when I was younger when I didn’t have as many distractions as I’ve got now.

I can’t change anything by being upset so I don’t waste the energy. Next week will always be better.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Huge highs when we win, followed by smug satisfaction in the days following.

A short downer when we lose and play poorly, but I’ve improved in not letting it carry on to a second day. Whinging on NSC straight afterwards, is therapeutic. The following day, all is good.

Same for me :thumbsup: a couple of the defeats this season have been slightly harder to take on the chin though, to say the least!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think you’re like me - affected by the negativity of others. I get disappointed by the response but often feel livid by the reaction of some of the support. Twitter is even worse.

Yeh I’ve avoided NSC for several weeks now as knew what it would be like and who would be leading it. Seen a few bounced threads today sadly :facepalm:

But def best to just not bother with those who spread negativity in such an aggressive way - that much I’ve noticed/realised!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’ve never been that bad, although I used to get more upset about losses when I was younger when I didn’t have as many distractions as I’ve got now.

I can’t change anything by being upset so I don’t waste the energy. Next week will always be better.

I can't be arsed to feel pissed off for too long with something that, at the end of the day, I have no influence over

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Same for me :thumbsup: a couple of the defeats this season have been slightly harder to take on the chin though, to say the least!

I wasn’t too bad at all after the Benteke freak result. I simply turned the TV off immediately. Possibly because there were no scummers in the Amex to celebrate, I felt nothing.

Looking back, losing at home to Arsenal was gutting, as their goal was so preventable. Can’t stand the London clubs.

Last edited:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I find losing doesn’t really affect me. Don’t get me wrong I’m still gutted, but this season I’ve just laughed it off each time. Cheerfulness in the face of adversity. What else can you do?

But when we win, you have to scrape me off the ceiling. (Or pick me up from 3/4 rows in front)

Yes it does make me happy.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes football makes me happy. Having a team to support makes me very happy. The fact that we have been quite good for over a decade makes me extremely happy.

I think football brings the highs and lows which are hard to re-create in any other part of your life.

I was lucky enough to go to the Hereford away game (well, sort of lucky) and the change of from unbridled despair at half time, to unmatchable joy, at the goal, to wanting to puke for the last 20 minutes, to an incredible outpouring of relief at the end ....... the local knitting club can't really match that to be honest.

Rather than happiness, it's best to think of every match as a 90 minute ticket outside of the banal normality of the everyday ... kind of like a seismograph during a 10 on the richter scale earthquake.

Shit, I’ve just realised, Hyypia aside you’re right..! We have been pretty damn good for over a decade now! Time flies but another reason we should be more appreciative of the bumps in the road. Thanks :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I often work in an office with some posh, middle class rugby fans (they never played the game itself). They’re all nice people, gentle in fact.

I inwardly smile on a Monday when they say “what did you get up to at the weekend?” Whilst they’ve calmly watched Quins on the box, I’ve been at The Amex telling Zaha, Steven Davis or Richarlison at full throttle that they’re a wnkr. Or yelling “wake up Montoya, FFS”. Part of a baying NS mob.

“Oh, I went and watched Brighton” is all I reveal.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If we win I’m happy, if we lose its gallows humour. If being a Brighton fan was tortuous and an effort I wouldn’t bother but over the 4 decades I’ve been watching the club I have never really felt this is the case.....it’s alright isn’t it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here