Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football - does it make you happy?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I haven't enjoyed this season for so many reasons, but it has made me realise what I do love about the game. As much as it must have been tough to watch what must be one of the best and most exciting Brighton & Hove Albion sides of all time from behind a TV screen (for the most part, anyway), I've witnessed my team slowly work its way back out of the football league and into the non-league abyss. If the league table wasn't enough, to give you an idea of just how turgid the football has been at Grimsby this season, let me tell you that 33 games in, our top scorer has scored just 3 goals, and that's a 19 year old centre-half.

Naturally then, it's unsurprising that this season has been heartbreakingly tough, but that's not the biggest issue. I just really struggle to watch games, even neutral ones, without fans in the ground. Without them, the whole thing just seems so pointless. More to the point, I miss being in stadiums (or rather 'grounds' at Grimsby's level) myself. THAT'S what I've really missed.

I miss meeting up with mates, having a few beers and a chat about nothing in particular. Away days. Rocking up in some random town somewhere, taking over a pub (not in an old school hoolie kind of way) and just being surrounded by hundrends or thousands of people, all from completely different walks of life, but who all have the same thing in common - where you're from and who you support. That's the thing I love about the game, and the big thing your average Man Yoo armchair fan will never properly experience. That's why I have continued to support a club which for the last 20 years has been a total basket case.

In many ways, this thread and having thought about the situation more broadly has been quite cathartic. I've accepted relegation as a nigh on certainty, short of a footballing miracle that has so far shown no signs it is about to arrive. That next season's fixture list will feature the likes of Wealdstone and Weymouth (sigh, for many years it was relegated PL teams who would have to go to 'the likes of Grimsby'). But it doesn't matter. The football on the pitch is what brings everyone together, but it's the coming together which matters most. So if the next time I'm able to attend a football match happens to be in King's Lynn then f*ck it, I'll be there.

Because football doesn't make me happy, it's the circus that surrounds it that does.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I often work in an office with some posh, middle class rugby fans (they never played the game itself). They’re all nice people, gentle in fact.

I inwardly smile on a Monday when they say “what did you get up to at the weekend?” Whilst they’ve calmly watched Quins on the box, I’ve been at The Amex telling Zaha, Steven Davis or Richarlison at full throttle that they’re a wnkr. Or yelling “wake up Montoya, FFS”. Part of a baying NS mob.

“Oh, I went and watched Brighton” is all I reveal.

Living near Bath I used to work with a fair few rugby types, and went to the Rec a few times each season. What is it with rugby - there is so much blood and guts on the pitch, but so little passion amongst the fans? It never seemed to bother them whether Bath won or lost. A few times this season I've envied that emotional detachment (esp after the Palace game). But 99% of the time I'm absolutely delighted that I'm so invested in BHA. "Happy" may not be the best word, but football absolutely enriches my life massively.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s the hope that kills yer...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Living near Bath I used to work with a fair few rugby types, and went to the Rec a few times each season. What is it with rugby - there is so much blood and guts on the pitch, but so little passion amongst the fans? It never seemed to bother them whether Bath won or lost. A few times this season I've envied that emotional detachment (esp after the Palace game). But 99% of the time I'm absolutely delighted that I'm so invested in BHA. "Happy" may not be the best word, but football absolutely enriches my life massively.

I’ve been to The Rec. What a setting!

In an era where normal fans could join Ben Clarke, Guscott, Andy Robinson and Chilcott in the club bar afterwards .... for 15 pints.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Sometimes.

As for the quiet, its often the case when Brighton win because a lot of the most frequent post-match posters are those who unknowingly take great pleasure in getting angry and upset, perhaps as a way to deflect from their own inadequacies. Dan Burn, Neal Maupay, Graham Potter, Pascal Gross, Trossard - you name it - provde great explanations why life is shit and who's fault (because its never yours) it is that life is indeed shit. When Brighton win, I guess its not as effective.

[emoji106]

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Mostly - frustration/acceptance
Frequently - despair
Occasionally - absolute elation

It’s the life of a football fan, no?

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Does football make me happy? I'd say occasionally, but not for long. I was really pleased we won today and love reading all the NSC analysis but already there's a sense of foreboding as I begin to worry that we'll undo all the good work by losing to Newcastle. It does my head in, tbh.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
These Premier League years have certainly provided many moments of elation, frustration, and dismay. It must be so placid being an Everton fan. Never in danger of relegation, never in with a chance of winning the league. At most its will they or wont they make it into the Europa League.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
The link in the OP is very interesting........most of the time we hate losing more than we enjoy winning.

But there is a sentence at the end which certainly wouldn't apply to many of us on here..." The researchers also suggest fans systematically over-estimate the probability of their team winning and never revise or learn from experience " ............ I certainly have a bad feeling about almost every game before it has kicked off and well into the game unless we get to 3 goals up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here