Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football=Corrupt... Athletics=Corrupt... Now Tennis=Corrupt!

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Would be very surprised if it involved one of the big 4.

Tsonga always comes across as erratic, on his day he's awesome but all so often loses when he really shouldn't.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Why not just introduce a second Olympics that fully allows drug users to compete against each other?

It might be seen as encouraging the issue (because it would be) but what a fun event it'd be to watch!

I've a mate who has an idea around this - allow them to use whatever the hell they want, but all prize money and physical medals are withheld until they're 50 or 60. If what they were taking was that dodgy they'll be long dead by then (Flojo, etc)

I suspect rugby is probably next for a deep investigation. Low enough salaries compared to the cash thrown around the sport itself so a temptation for match fixing or other gambling related fraud; clearly obvious steroid and other drug use being turned a blind eye to at the amateur and schools level/

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well for starters it has an all but non-existent PED policy.
Taking the football approach of 'no drug can make you hit a ball straight'.

Completely ignoring the ball being crushed miles down the fairway, painkillers, and (excuse my lack of medical knowledge on this one, something to relieve the yips) I'm gonna say Beta Blockers.

Well you may be right, but I doubt it. The only drug that I have read about that may have a beneficial effect on some golfers is one used to treat ADHD.

Crushing the ball miles down the fairway is down to modern technology and refined technique. The same drug will not allow you to hole a 4 foot putt under severe pressure (please see Dustin "Charlie" Johnson as an example), or flop a ball onto a green sloping away from you towards some water. There are too many different things going on in golf, mostly mental, for there to be much benefit to it - one drug will boost some aspect of the game but to the detriment of another. Beta blockers maybe, but any serious golfer (or any sportsman in a skilled sport, rather than an explosive physical one), will tell you that being nervous helps. Controlling the nerves maybe, but they use breathing and visualisation techniques for that.

We will see when they do introduce a drug policy - Gary Player is convinced that most are on steroids now, but Nick Faldo says otherwise. But to describe golf as one of the bentest sports out there is way off the mark in my opinion. There are far too many different aspects to it.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Well you may be right, but I doubt it. The only drug that I have read about that may have a beneficial effect on some golfers is one used to treat ADHD.

Crushing the ball miles down the fairway is down to modern technology and refined technique. The same drug will not allow you to hole a 4 foot putt under severe pressure (please see Dustin "Charlie" Johnson as an example), or flop a ball onto a green sloping away from you towards some water. There are too many different things going on in golf, mostly mental, for there to be much benefit to it - one drug will boost some aspect of the game but to the detriment of another. Beta blockers maybe, but any serious golfer (or any sportsman in a skilled sport, rather than an explosive physical one), will tell you that being nervous helps. Controlling the nerves maybe, but they use breathing and visualisation techniques for that.

We will see when they do introduce a drug policy - Gary Player is convinced that most are on steroids now, but Nick Faldo says otherwise. But to describe golf as one of the bentest sports out there is way off the mark in my opinion. There are far too many different aspects to it.

But drugs will definitely help with getting over injuries quicker. This is probably the next thing to come out of tennis. The way Nadal as recovered from some of his injuries is simply ridiculous and there are plenty of theories around that he's using something banned to enhance his recovery.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I've a mate who has an idea around this - allow them to use whatever the hell they want, but all prize money and physical medals are withheld until they're 50 or 60. If what they were taking was that dodgy they'll be long dead by then (Flojo, etc)

I suspect rugby is probably next for a deep investigation. Low enough salaries compared to the cash thrown around the sport itself so a temptation for match fixing or other gambling related fraud; clearly obvious steroid and other drug use being turned a blind eye to at the amateur and schools level/

Not the worst idea but a bit crap if they've competed clean and dropped dead due to complications from hiccups or something (according to the 5 minutes of Grey's Anatomy I had the misfortune to watch that's a real thing...).

Why not make it so that all feasible enhancements are allowed, including mechanical/robotic ones? I'd love to see some of the contraptions people would come up with...

Rugby next is a fair shout, or maybe darts and/or snooker?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
But drugs will definitely help with getting over injuries quicker. This is probably the next thing to come out of tennis. The way Nadal as recovered from some of his injuries is simply ridiculous and there are plenty of theories around that he's using something banned to enhance his recovery.

But why should that be an issue, as long as its legal and he isn't using drugs to enhance his match play why shouldn't he use them to get playing again. I'm sure everybody would hope the players we have out injured like Solly March would take everything legal to speed up his return rather than relying on some ice and TLC from his girlfriend.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I must admit to being a tad disappointed that no-one's sidled up to me behind the tennis courts and tried to offer me a bung to throw a match. I'd consider anything for a tenner.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not sure how the world of lawn bowls has ever escaped the scrutiny of the authorities. If ever there were performance enhancing drugs being used, it's here:

lawnbowling_group08.jpg

(Probably Sanatogen, Complan, & 20g a day of Condor Ready Rubbed).

Attachments

• lawnbowling_group08.jpg
    lawnbowling_group08.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 135

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ah, forgot cycling... may have to change thread title.... Is there anything left that isn't bent ?

Hypocrite. I have it on good authority that you used soak your conkers in vinegar and part bake them .

(And that's not from a Carry On film)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not sure how the world of lawn bowls has ever escaped the scrutiny of the authorities. If ever there were performance enhancing drugs being used, it's here:

(Probably Sanatogen, Complan, & 20g a day of Condor Ready Rubbed).

Not only a serious drug problem I also have heard of a green keeper at a bowls club being offered numerous Jam sponges and other delicacies to mow the grass in a certain direction to disrupt players favouring the backhand draw ... whatever that is #bowlsgate

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hypocrite. I have it on good authority that you used soak your conkers in vinegar and part bake them .

(And that's not from a Carry On film)

We never played Conkers at Elm Grove, we were having too much fun nailing the 1st year's up on doors.

Well that worked, didn't it? Eliminated in the first round by fellow countryman, Verdasco.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here